Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 3:04:17 PM EDT
Im thinking about giving it a try.But I was wondering a few things.I would want to keep it small,really want the honey to make mead with.So how hard is it,will it take a lot of my time to take care of?How much honey do you get from a hive?Just going to keep it as a hobby if I do this,thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#1]
IBTBK1
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There might bee one here
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I can think of 1.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Curious myself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#5]
He caught the ghey last night...

Where he got tripped..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about giving it a try.But I was wondering a few things.I would want to keep it small,really want the honey to make mead with.So how hard is it,will it take a lot of my time to take care of?How much honey do you get from a hive?Just going to keep it as a hobby if I do this,thanks for any help.

For starters, go here and make contacts, you may find a beekeeper near you to help with your  decision

www.centralohiobeekeepers.com/

www.swoba.org/
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:31:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I hate to admit it but i'm kind of one.  For Christmas this year my family got my father a 5 year membership in a beekeepers association and we got him 3 starter hives and all the bees and all that.  There are 3 classes a month that we started in feb.  I only see "we" because it has turned in a father/son bonding experience.  Anyways we have built 6 more hives since April and all the queens are in and the honey is pouring in.  We have a total of 9 hives, 4 at my house 3 at my uncles and and 2 at my grandparents.  At this point we do little but check them out 2 times a month.

Usually the spring is when you begin your hives.

Mead is the main reason i am participating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hate to admit it but i'm kind of one.  For Christmas this year my family got my father a 5 year membership in a beekeepers association and we got him 3 starter hives and all the bees and all that.  There are 3 classes a month that we started in feb.  I only see "we" because it has turned in a father/son bonding experience.  Anyways we have built 6 more hives since April and all the queens are in and the honey is pouring in.  We have a total of 9 hives, 4 at my house 3 at my uncles and and 2 at my grandparents.  At this point we do little but check them out 2 times a month.

Hey, Don't be a closet beek, admit to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I am just getting started . I have been wanting a hive or two for years but never built them.

Each year I have a swarm or two in my yard so why not put them in a hive and raise them.

Last week I had a swarm move into a wooden wishing well in one of my wife's rock gardens and they are working their little bee butts off building a hive under it , so now I have my first hive ready or not........
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:24:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
He caught the ghey last night...

Where he got tripped..

LOL  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:42:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm thinking of getting started,too. We have a small orchard in the yard-around 70 or more fruit trees-and they could benefit from better pollination. The honey would "bee" nice,too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#12]
You know, there is a beekeeping thread down in the survival forum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You know, there is a beekeeping thread down in the survival forum.

Yep !
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:58:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

?  why hate to admit it?  that's screwed up....if you hate to admit it, then you're NOT a beekeeper...

I've been a beekeeper for many years, and proud of it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top