Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/19/2008 2:04:17 PM EST
Im thinking about giving it a try.But I was wondering a few things.I would want to keep it small,really want the honey to make mead with.So how hard is it,will it take a lot of my time to take care of?How much honey do you get from a hive?Just going to keep it as a hobby if I do this,thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:05:01 PM EST
IBTBK1
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:05:04 PM EST
There might bee one here
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:05:25 PM EST
I can think of 1.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:06:20 PM EST
Curious myself.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:06:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 2:08:58 PM EST by Keith_J]
He caught the ghey last night...

Where he got tripped..
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:23:20 PM EST

Originally Posted By JPH2:
I'm thinking about giving it a try.But I was wondering a few things.I would want to keep it small,really want the honey to make mead with.So how hard is it,will it take a lot of my time to take care of?How much honey do you get from a hive?Just going to keep it as a hobby if I do this,thanks for any help.

For starters, go here and make contacts, you may find a beekeeper near you to help with your decision

www.centralohiobeekeepers.com/

www.swoba.org/
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:31:33 PM EST
I hate to admit it but i'm kind of one. For Christmas this year my family got my father a 5 year membership in a beekeepers association and we got him 3 starter hives and all the bees and all that. There are 3 classes a month that we started in feb. I only see "we" because it has turned in a father/son bonding experience. Anyways we have built 6 more hives since April and all the queens are in and the honey is pouring in. We have a total of 9 hives, 4 at my house 3 at my uncles and and 2 at my grandparents. At this point we do little but check them out 2 times a month.

Usually the spring is when you begin your hives.

Mead is the main reason i am participating.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:14:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By remfan77:
I hate to admit it but i'm kind of one. For Christmas this year my family got my father a 5 year membership in a beekeepers association and we got him 3 starter hives and all the bees and all that. There are 3 classes a month that we started in feb. I only see "we" because it has turned in a father/son bonding experience. Anyways we have built 6 more hives since April and all the queens are in and the honey is pouring in. We have a total of 9 hives, 4 at my house 3 at my uncles and and 2 at my grandparents. At this point we do little but check them out 2 times a month.

Hey, Don't be a closet beek, admit to it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:21:31 AM EST
I am just getting started . I have been wanting a hive or two for years but never built them.

Each year I have a swarm or two in my yard so why not put them in a hive and raise them.

Last week I had a swarm move into a wooden wishing well in one of my wife's rock gardens and they are working their little bee butts off building a hive under it , so now I have my first hive ready or not........
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:24:23 AM EST

Originally Posted By Keith_J:
He caught the ghey last night...

Where he got tripped..

LOL
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:42:06 AM EST
I'm thinking of getting started,too. We have a small orchard in the yard-around 70 or more fruit trees-and they could benefit from better pollination. The honey would "bee" nice,too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:50:14 AM EST
You know, there is a beekeeping thread down in the survival forum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:51:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By 338winmag:
You know, there is a beekeeping thread down in the survival forum.

Yep !
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:58:26 AM EST

Originally Posted By remfan77:

? why hate to admit it? that's screwed up....if you hate to admit it, then you're NOT a beekeeper...

I've been a beekeeper for many years, and proud of it...
Top Top