Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2006 7:37:26 PM EDT
I'm getting married in October and at the reception We're going to be doing the bar ourselfs, I need an idea of what liqour is needed and how many bottles of each for a guest list of 350 people. One of my groomsmen owns a liqour store so all of it including beer (kegs?) will come from him at cost. What brands of alcohol too (gin, whiskey, bourbun, rum, vodka?) also wine. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it would be given away I would go with whatever is cheapest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Half a case of each;  you don't need alot of alcohol, just the basics

Kessler (whiskey)
Smirnoff (Vodka)
Gordons (gin)
Cuervo (Tequilla)
Bacardi (Rum)

Bottom shelf liqour sucks;  this isn't top shelf, but it isn't bad;  your guests will like it.  In addition, you need coke, sevenup, tonic, cranberry, orange, and grapefruit juice.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Half a case of each;  you don't need alot of alcohol, just the basics

Kessler (whiskey)
Smirnoff (Vodka)
Gordons (gin)
Cuervo (Tequilla)
Bacardi (Rum)

Bottom shelf liqour sucks;  this isn't top shelf, but it isn't bad;  your guests will like it.  In addition, you need coke, sevenup, tonic, cranberry, orange, and grapefruit juice.  

that alone is bad shit. use don julio or patron. they are expensive but if youre going to do it do it right. and if you can, dont use smirnoff, use belvedere or grey goose-so much better. now if you will be mixing alot of drinks ( and you probably will) the smirnoff will be fine. but the cuervo still makes everything taste like shit
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:52:00 AM EDT
[#4]
You will need some whiskey,Jack and Jim should do alright,some might suggest the Canadian stuff,but what do they know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 12:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Makers Mark.

Meyers is better than Bacardi for rum, IMHO.

Seagrams 7 - plus 7-Up (most popular drink I saw at the last two weddings I've been at)
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Johnny walker black or blue
Grey Goose
Tanquerey (SP?)
Patron reposado
Bacardi

Have some exotic juices like pomagranate and guava on hand as these are super tasty
Champagne is a must
for wine with dinner I would go with a Cakebread or Yellowtail as these are relatively cheap but tasty
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#7]
dear god--why am i clicking on this at 4:13AM?

ok...here we go.  

do NOT buy equal portions of everything, and do not try to please everyone.  i've done this more times than i can count.

prices are approximate retail, and are arranged low/med/high.  mix and match to please, while keeping guest preferences in mind.  i won't argue about specific brands--this is what i use for catering events, based on pleasing the maximum number of people with minimum fuss.

vodka:  12 bottles/   low:  skol--$6  med:  monopolowa--$11  high:  absolut--$20
gin:         2  bottles /                      skol--$6             boodles--$10                   tanqueray--$20
rum:       4  bottles  /                  castillo--$5         cruzan--$10                    bacardi--$18
tequila    4  bottles/                       rio grande--$4    cuervo--$18                    patron--$45
bourbon  6  bottles/              kentucky deluxe--$6   beam--$14                     jack--$25
scotch   2   (more for older crowd)               glenlivet--$28                 macallan 12--(<$50)
crown royal  2 bottles @ $35

cordials, 1 each:

melon $8
triple sec $6
razzmatazz $8
amaretto  $5
generic bailey's  $10  (carrollan's or tipperrary is fine)
generic kahlua  $12 (cafe lolita, copa del'oro, kamora)
grand marnier  $38

beer:  each keg is 15.5 gal, or 124 full pints (less with head)  go with 14 oz disposable plastic cups--they don't get slammed as fast, and it looks less stingy than the 12oz.  win-win.

figure out if you have a liquor crowd or a beer crowd, and plan accordingly.  2 kegs should be plenty, but you know your people better than i do.

wine:

don't overthink it.  go with red, white, and pink.

1 case merlot (target $7 per bottle)
1 case chardonnay (same)
6 bottles sutter home or beringer white zinfandel  ($6-7)
1 case house champagne for toasts ($4) (4.45 x 5oz glasses per bottle)
1 bottle nice champagne for you and the bride  (perrier-jouet is a great choice--reasonably priced, but very good juice.  and it comes in a pretty bottle that she'll like.  veuve clicquot is an alternative)

350 is a big wedding, but IMO, the above should cover it.  if the budget gets too big, work out a truck deal where they bring more, and if it needed, they pull it off the truck and invoice you.  you can tailor your package a lot better this way, and you won't be stuck with several hundred dollars of unused alcohol.

as i said, i've been doing this for years.  if you have any additional questions, IM me, and i'll give you my email and mobile # if necessary.

congratulations.  

[edit to make the liq stuff a little more readable]
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:48:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Makers Mark.

Meyers is better than Bacardi for rum, IMHO.

Seagrams 7 - plus 7-Up (most popular drink I saw at the last two weddings I've been at)

makers is great stuff.  don't ask me how i know.  

meyers is a very polarized flavor, and does not have broad appeal.  it is good if you go for dark rum, but not a particularly good choice for catering.  

seagram's 7, OTOH, is a very good recommendation, and can replace crown for 40% of the price.  good call.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#9]
For beer kegs go for stella artois... its crisp and clean... please dont go cheap on the beer.

As far as the cups go... you can get glassware really cheaply... dont go for SOLO cups... this is far too frat party for a wedding. A good restaraunt supply store can set you up with glassware for about 25 cents a glass.
jeff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top