Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 7:49:43 PM EDT
Finally have space for a 55 gallon tank, so after setting it up a month ago, I'm still in the process of stocking it.

Right now the inhabitants are:

1 Bala Shark named Spazz (Sadly it'll probably outgrow the 55 gallon tank and I'll have to find it a new home eventually...or get a bigger tank for it )
3 Tiger Barbs named Larry, Moe, and Curly.
1 unnamed Chinese Algae Eater.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be adding three or four more Barbs, and I'm not sure what else.  I'm open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I'm leaning toward a semi-aggressive community tank.

Oh, one more question:  How hard is it to keep a 10 gallon tank going with a half-dozen neon tetras in it?  I've got a friend wanting to set one up in his dorm room, but since everything I've read says "bigger is easier" I skipped right up to the 55 gallon, and can't really give him much advice.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Sweet.. I just got a 55 gal tank too!

Oh, one more question: How hard is it to keep a 10 gallon tank going with a half-dozen neon tetras in it? I've got a friend wanting to set one up in his dorm room, but since everything I've read says "bigger is easier" I skipped right up to the 55 gallon, and can't really give him much advice.

Not hard.  I had a tall, skinny 7 gal with 4 neons, 1 black neon and a cat fish for a few months prior to the 55 gal.

Keep the water between 70 and 80.

I have one of those biowheel things in both tanks.

biowheel things link

I'm open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I'm leaning toward a semi-aggressive community tank.

I'm told that 5 or 6 evil fish will usualy keep themselves in check.  They all have all have a cold-war type mentality where each side all thinks the other is just about ready to start something.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sweet.. I just got a 55 gal tank too!

Oh, one more question: How hard is it to keep a 10 gallon tank going with a half-dozen neon tetras in it? I've got a friend wanting to set one up in his dorm room, but since everything I've read says "bigger is easier" I skipped right up to the 55 gallon, and can't really give him much advice.

Not hard.  I had a tall, skinny 7 gal with 4 neons, 1 black neon and a cat fish for a few months prior to the 55 gal.

I have one of those biowheel things in both tanks.

biowheel things link

Yeah, I've got a biowheel in my tank, I'm happy with it so far (which is to say, the fish seem to be doing well with it, so I'm happy).

I'm open to suggestions, keeping in mind that I'm leaning toward a semi-aggressive community tank.

I'm told that 5 or 6 evil fish will usualy keep themselves in check.  They all have all have a cold-war type mentality where each side all thinks the other is just about ready to start something.

Cold-war fish tank could be interesting:  Lets see....these are the americans....these are the russians......these are the brits 'cuz they hang out with the americans most of the time.....and the algae eater is french, because he thinks he's better than all the others.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Neon tetras and black neons are pretty cool. I like fancytail guppies and after having grown massive colonies of them before in small tanks, decided to populate a large tank with some and breed them for sale.

So far I have about two hundred fish and not one single interested buyer.

And my green sunfish died just a couple weeks. He was just short of being a foot long (less than half an inch short of the mark) and still growing.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
chiclids rock, not sure on that spelling, and oscars are pretty smart.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I would get one more bala shark and 3 more tiger barbs.

That would be it as bala sharks get big and so do chinese algae eaters.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would get one more bala shark and 3 more tiger barbs.

That would be it as bala sharks get big and so do chinese algae eaters.

Thats pretty much what I was planning, although I was thinking 2 more tiger barbs, and maybe 5 danios or something like that for more variety, but I'd be worried about overcrowding.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't get Oscars
Unless thats all you want in the tank, anything smaller they will kill and eat.
I have done all kinds of tank mixes, your idea of a couple more barbs and a aditional shark or two works. I currently have a 55 with three LARGE goldfish and a pleco. The goldies go out to the pond in the spring. they were given to me to late to put them in the pond this winter. This spring it's all guppies and pleco's.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:45:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I still have my 55.  It used to have lots of cool fish.  Now I only have a Black Pirahna.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#9]
75g; Oscar, Firemouth, Sailfin Pleco

20g; Reef
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
1 - 72g Pleco tank

1 - 72g Cichlid tank

http://asylum.741.com/krisfish.htm
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
my 55. Nothing fancy
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:33:06 AM EDT
[#12]
You should look up Team Member, ilikelegs.

He is serious about his tanks and is a first rate breeder of African Cichlids

You can see some of his stuff ----------> HERE
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
chiclids rock, not sure on that spelling, and oscars are pretty smart.

I love me my Oscar. Cichlids are awesome.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:03:56 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Neon tetras and black neons are pretty cool. I like fancytail guppies and after having grown massive colonies of them before in small tanks, decided to populate a large tank with some and breed them for sale.

So far I have about two hundred fish and not one single interested buyer.

And my green sunfish died just a couple weeks. He was just short of being a foot long (less than half an inch short of the mark) and still growing.

Get yourself an Oscar. Those guppies will disappear real fast. Seriously, most large guppy breaders have an Oscar, for their culls.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I used to breed and collect African Cichlids in a 125 gal. They are very colorful and have personality. Now I have a small 15 gal community tank. Just do regualr water changes and a 10 gal is no problem.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got one 55gal running on the same culture for ~10yrs, I used to have 4~5 going. Bred and raised Angel fish for a couple of years. Had some Rumble fish for awhile.
Now just  some Neons and a cat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top