Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:47:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Doesn't RustedAce have some (C&R) bringbacks? With Paki-tape?

Keep the papers, they will add value.

I do.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Any advice for keeping this rifle?  Do you think he should have this restored?  

I wouldnt restore it, Id leave it exactly as he brought it back.

Restoring it kinda ruins the story/feel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]
The MN was a quite common VC weapon. The movies love to show them all with AKs but the SKS and the MN (and many others) were commonly encountered. It was also a very common weapon for lower-ranking GIs to be permitted to keep as souvenirs. As far as value, WITHOUT the paperwork it is just another MN. The Hex indicates Russian origin and the Chinese script probably means it was gifted to the PLA and subsequently given to their comrades in Vietnam. The rifle has far more monetary value if left untouched (don't refinish it, excessively clean it or add anything TAPCO to it) and keep the original "War Trophy" paperwork with it. It would also be nice if the Veteran who brought it home could write a little narrative about the circumstances it came into his procession as well as a little background about his experiences in Vietnam. Get that notarized and keep it with everything else. A dealer might give you $50-$100 for the gun. A true collector of Vietnam bring-backs might go $250-$400 depending on the documentation and if the rifle is kept in its original condition.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:19:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't RustedAce have some (C&R) bringbacks? With Paki-tape?

Keep the papers, they will add value.

I do.  

I really dig that middle one with the inlays in the stock. I have some of that sort of art in my home since my wife is Persian, Ive thought about asking her dad to ship a BRNO stock back to Iran and have it inlayed for me.

eta: It's called "khatam", my FIL is from Shiraz, one of the area's in which this art is practiced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khatam

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
"most important thing to do is..............................NOTHING. No restoration. No added parts. No refinishing. Nothing. "

If that front sight was missing when my relative picked it up, that's how it would stay were it mine. I would do nothing but preserve it. Plenty of others around if you want something to shoot or fiddle with.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am no expert in the field, but my initial though is leave it as is and retain the bring back paperwork.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:23:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
One of my favorite relatives brought home a Mosin Nagant from Vietnam.  He says that he carried it on the plane home, and still has the paperwork.  
They found a cache of NVA weapons.  He asked what they were going to with them.  The command said that that were about to be destroyed.  So he asked if he could pull out a rifle, and they gave him some sort of paperwork, and let him take it home.  

It has some sort of Chinese markings on it, has a hex receiver, and it's missing the front site.  

Other than the obvious sentimental value, is this worth anything?  Seems like the paperwork from Vietnam should make it worth a bit more.  

Any advice for keeping this rifle?  Do you think he should have this restored?  

is the base missing or just the front sight?

in this case, i think value will be improve by restoring it only as far as replacing missing parts, and going no further.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Brought back from Viet Nam.  It is priceless to me as my Dad shot the fucking owner.  

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Are servicemen still allowed to bring back weapons from Iraq/Afghanistan?

Fuck no.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:52:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck no.

Not only Fuck No....but HELL THE FUCK NO
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:57:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck no.

I was very tempted to hide an AK and some other shit, but the briefings and warnings were enough to convince me it ain't worth it...

Hell we can't even keep the rifle you eat sleep shit and make love too....
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:05:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck no.

Great correct info guys!!!

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Brought back from Viet Nam.  It is priceless to me as my Dad shot the fucking owner.  

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n619/Ordo6502/2012-12-04_06-27-38_510.jpg

Your Russian Tok bringback is pretty uncommon, as the ChiCom ones were much more prevalent.  Given your family connection that is a priceless artifact. Thanks to your father!

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where would you get 7.62x39mm in the 1960s and early 70s (1960-1972)?

From Finland.

I  have a friend who was a former SF medic.  In 1967 he brought back an sks that he took from a VC and several cases of captured ammo that he shot for years.  Unfortunately when I met him he only had 400 rounds left; I traded him 1000 rounds for it

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n619/Ordo6502/2012-12-04_06-27-38_510.jpg

That is motivating.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top