Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2001 11:35:44 PM EDT
I'm testing for a spot w/ the local PD this week. Any advice for a potential cop?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Yea, watch your back. Sometimes the ones that will hurt you the most wear the same uniform.

Otherwise, just stay alert. Attention to detail is the key.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Man, I couldn't agree more. I've many times felt the long arm of the law trying to cut off my metaphorical jugular, and so many times it was for a simple "do you know the time?"
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 12:14:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Any tips on the tests?
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont get shot.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Pull over every single person with an unrestrained child and write them for anything and everything you can find wrong.
[chainsawkill]
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Kill somebody the first night or be somebody's bitch...........Oh wait, that's prison.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:45:06 PM EDT
[#7]
what pd are you gunning for - any agencies in socal?  i have heard of smaller pd's back east don't hire you if you score to high in intelligence.  if you  iq is over 125 or so- they feel that you will get bored of your job in about 6 years and quit.  one guys sued a pd over this and he lost as they 'the municipality' were able to prove statistically this is true.

i used to know some really cool cops in santa monica pd - and you know the real smart ones got really really really bored.  but they stayed in becuase the pay is $$$ (ave smpd cop makes 65-85K)  all there stuff is new, every car has their custom ar in it.  aside from crown vics - there are dodge ram rt's.  motor cops ride bmw's and harleys......

anyway- if you can give a hint of where - ???

steve
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Do you like to spend weekends and holidays with your family? Do you have a problem with night shifts? Do you like having enough money to buy that thing in the top left corner of your screen? Do you mind being persecuted because you are trying to protect the vast majority of the population from themselves?

If you answer yes to any or all, go back to college, get an engineering, architecture, business, etc. degree then enjoy making money and spending time with your family.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Budget your money wisely .... it's a thankless low paying job.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Do one nice thing for someone each day on The Job.
It'll help you maintain your sanity.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Remember that you are a professional witness.  What I mean by that is police officers are very important witnesses in criminal cases - oftentimes the only witness. Your job does not stop the second the suspect is arrested - it lasts all the way until the suspect is charged (or not) and convicted. Be observant and aware. Learn how to testify. REALLY learn criminal law, especially search and seizure and confession law.  Learn to write good and detailed reports. Learn how to work w/ the prosecutors and find out what they need to secure a conviction.  Finally remember that your job is to do justice - not to arrest everyone on the planet.

Signed,

frustrated prosecutor
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]
For the interview, be yourself, be professional, don't try to baffle them with BS. Wear a suit and tie.

On the job...Keep in mind EVERY call you go to is a gun call, meaning every call you go on will have at least one gun, yours.  

And there are 3 things you should do at the first opportunity......
1.  Top off your fuel.
2.  Use the bathroom.
3.  Eat.
Because you never know when you will be able to should you pass up the first opportunity.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#13]
You'll love it ! I've been retired (medically ,unfortunately) around 14/15 years and man I miss it everyday!! I'd willingly take a paycut to ride again.
 Soon, all your friends (close ones anyway) will be LEO's aswell, other cops are the only people who "understand" what you go thru.
 You'll love it too I bet !!  Be safe, the one most important part of the job to remember, if your out on a beat, traffic, absolutely any aspect of law enforcement is never...NEVER GET ROUTINE, do what ever may seem the same {ie. checking building/securing sections} at a different time the next check, a different starting point,ending point...You get the ideal..getting in a routine gets you relaxed, off your guard which in turn can get a person hurt or even worse, dead..!
 Have a great career, Officer. It all goes back to what your momma used to say.."Treat everyone like YOU would want to be treated"

GOOD LUCK, AND "LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"!!!

Russell
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Remember that you are a professional witness.  What I mean by that is police officers are very important witnesses in criminal cases - oftentimes the only witness. Your job does not stop the second the suspect is arrested - it lasts all the way until the suspect is charged (or not) and convicted. Be observant and aware. Learn how to testify. REALLY learn criminal law, especially search and seizure and confession law.  Learn to write good and detailed reports. Learn how to work w/ the prosecutors and find out what they need to secure a conviction.  Finally remember that your job is to do justice - not to arrest everyone on the planet.

Signed,

frustrated prosecutor
View Quote

I agree with pretty much everything our "frustrated Prosecutor" said. I would caution you about being too eager to please the local prosecutor though.....I've been a LEO for over 16 years and have seen a lot of good officers go just a little too far trying to help bring in the conviction. It's a quick ticket to a bad reputation and in some instances can land you in the same hotel the prosecutors are trying to fill.

My advice, for what it's worth: Above all, be honest. If you plan on making a career as a LEO you need to understand that the reputation you EARN on the street will follow you for your entire career. If you establish the fact that you are an honest and fair person it will make your job a lot easier.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Be as fair and impartial as possible.  Don't get caught up with the guys on the force doing under the table stuff (When they go down, and they will, you don't want to go down with them).  Don't get too frustrated when you bust a dope dealer and the district attorney plea bargains him down to a simple traffic violation.  Have fun and enjoy your job.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:07:45 PM EDT
[#16]
TES!!! I was a LEO for a short while.#1 Trust no one not even the 60 sumun' good ol' fellow who tells you( #2DON'T GET EXCITED ,with a soft and calm voice)#3 IT could be YOU.What if maybe i you made a differt coice...........#3 EVERYONE are making deciesions [beer] all the time.#4 buy yourself a book (about3"x9")it's called [Pocket Partner] by D.Evers,M.Miller and T.Glovers. SEQUIA Publishing.GALLS sales them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2001 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I'll give you the best two pieces of advice you will ever need.....

1. NEVER EVER arrest any gun nut for unregistered assault weapons/MG's ect... and

2. NEVER EVER EVER EVER knock on my damn door [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top