Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2014 2:45:01 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of applying to an Army fixed wing reserve/guard unit, as well as an active duty Warrant Officer slot. I've got a Bachelors plus my private and a CFI for sport aircraft with about 240 hours, currently working on my instrument ticket and then my commercial single/multi engine.

I was just wondering what the fixed wing training was like, from what I've found online it's all through Flight Safety. Or if anyone had any advice or thoughts to add, I would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm.  I thought the army only had a fixed wing transition course.  Either way, good luck to you!
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of applying to an Army fixed wing reserve/guard unit, as well as an active duty Warrant Officer slot. I've got a Bachelors plus my private and a CFI for sport aircraft with about 240 hours, currently working on my instrument ticket and then my commercial single/multi engine.

I was just wondering what the fixed wing training was like, from what I've found online it's all through Flight Safety. Or if anyone had any advice or thoughts to add, I would appreciate it.
View Quote

You'd go through full IERW training first.  Then you'd get your fixed wing transition before returning to your unit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'd go through full IERW training first.  Then you'd get your fixed wing transition before returning to your unit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Thank you, I thought that was the case but I couldn't find that for certain online.

I have an Officer that spent time in the reserve and guard that is sponsoring me in applying to a reserve unit that is fixed wing. I am also completing an active duty warrant officer application in case I am not picked up by the fixed wing unit.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Not so fast; The first class of Army fixed wing initial pilots in decades is going through Navy T6 initial right now from what I have heard. They are then going on to the multi engine track in T-44a KingAir's before transitioning to the C-12 airframes at Flight Safety.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:21:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have good test scores and good letters(both recommendations and your letter) you are sitting pretty.  The letters are very important, test scores are generally less important as long as you meet the requirements.

You'll do primary and instruments in a jet ranger.  If WOFT you'll select a helicopter based on your class ranking and fly it for a while then go to a unit.  If guard/reserve you'll do whatever they have you do.  The fixed wing course is taught by flight safety at rucker.  it's about 3 months - 1/2 in various airplanes and 1/2 in a proline 21 c12 simulator.  Flight school is changing rapidly right now though, if you go a year from now it could be completely different.  

If you are choosing I would highly recommend active duty if your goal is to get experience and hours.  Unless you have an "in" in a guard unit, then that might be better.

With only 240 hours flight school will be a ball for you - it'll all be fun and you'll learn a lot if you have the least bit of interest in flying.  Good pay, easy life, lots of free time.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Not so fast; The first class of Army fixed wing initial pilots in decades is going through Navy T6 initial right now from what I have heard. They are then going on to the multi engine track in T-44a KingAir's before transitioning to the C-12 airframes at Flight Safety.
View Quote

Not so fast?  Where did you get this information?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you have good test scores and good letters(both recommendations and your letter) you are sitting pretty.  The letters are very important, test scores are generally less important as long as you meet the requirements.

You'll do primary and instruments in a jet ranger.  If WOFT you'll select a helicopter based on your class ranking and fly it for a while then go to a unit.  If guard/reserve you'll do whatever they have you do.  The fixed wing course is taught by flight safety at rucker.  it's about 3 months - 1/2 in various airplanes and 1/2 in a proline 21 c12 simulator.  Flight school is changing rapidly right now though, if you go a year from now it could be completely different.  

If you are choosing I would highly recommend active duty if your goal is to get experience and hours.  Unless you have an "in" in a guard unit, then that might be better.

With only 240 hours flight school will be a ball for you - it'll all be fun and you'll learn a lot if you have the least bit of interest in flying.  Good pay, easy life, lots of free time.
View Quote

Thanks for the response, I am building my application right now. I have a Warrant Officer 4, an Army aviator Colonel, Naval Aviator retired, plus my civilian flight instructors for reference letters. Asvab score of 88 with 125-138 in the categories, still preparing for the SIFT. Got cleared through MEPS last week so I'm getting a date for my flight physical.

There's a decent amount out there on the active duty Warrant Officer training path, or rotary wing training programs in the Army. I'm just trying to learn the process for fixed wing. It's definitely going to be a difficult choice, the contact I have seems pretty confident he can get me in this particular unit, which is why I'm trying to find out everything I can for Army fixed wing.

Thanks for all the replies, I have an account on the site CFII provided I will get back over there.

I'd love to hear more about the Army aviators flying the T6...

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Good luck to you and enjoy your time as an Army aviator.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:49:31 AM EDT
[#11]
The rank of the person writing the letter is less important than the content of the letter.  Lots of military buzz phrases and the right adjectives are important.  A well written letter from a professional civilian who you have known for a few years will get you farther than a well written letter from an aviator you met in the application process.  

The army has a wide variety of planes including a few t34.  They are being replaced by t6 next year.  They are for very specific purposes and you will probably never even see them.  

You will do nearly 100hrs in a jet ranger(or ec145 soon) and then move on to whatever military aircraft you selected(if active duty) or assined(guard/reserve).  By the time you get to that point active duty will be able to fly fixed wing straight out of flight school.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I went through the fixed wing course from October 2012 through March 2013.

I hear there are many changes coming to include the T6 but all I can give you is my experience.

The first 2 weeks were in a Cessna 182 for basic fixed wing.  Keep in mind that my class of 6 were all rotary veterans except for a WO1 who lucked out.
We then spent 3 days in an aerobatic aircraft doing spin recovery.  You'll be doing an annual class in Mesa, AZ later that beats the he'll out of the Rucker stuff.
Then we did a week in C12 C/D models.
Then we spent the next 80 hours in a C12V simulator.  For me this included thanksgiving and Christmas so lots of booze got me through.
After a week off on late January I went to Toronto for a month of sim training in the Dehaviland DCH7.  Followed by 2 weeks of actually flying the Dash7 in El Paso, TX.

After all that time the Army quit paying me because they thought I was AWOL.  Go fucking figure.

All of this training was done by Flight Safety in Dothan and Daleville, AL and Toronto.  The training in El Paso is run by the unit on Ft. Bliss.

Guys are starting to get the Dash8 transition now.  You may even fly jets depending on where you are assigned, but my gut tells me you will go to an MI unit.

Now life isn't bad, but I went from fighting the GWOT in the OH58D surrounded by ex Rangers, SF, infantry snipers, and AF parajumpers to hanging out with guys who successfully avoided deploying for 10 years.  

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Where is this t6 talk coming from?  Way impractical for army training, I just don't see it happening.  I've been wrong before, but I don't see how a sane person could justify it.  No same person could justify a luh for flight school either though!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Where is this t6 talk coming from?  Way impractical for army training, I just don't see it happening.  I've been wrong before, but I don't see how a sane person could justify it.  No same person could justify a luh for flight school either though!
View Quote

Its not about you and me amigo.  Its about who gets rich the fastest on gov't contracts.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I find it a bit hard to believe, but I know nothing about how they're doing FW now.  I think there are no more FW boards now right?  All fixed wing guys are straight from flight school to flight safety now right?  

Point me to something to read.  There are plans and contracts awarded for the couple t6 the army is getting to replace the t34... But no plans or contracts for flight school that I know of beyond the purchase of more Lakotas.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went through the fixed wing course from October 2012 through March 2013.

I hear there are many changes coming to include the T6 but all I can give you is my experience.

The first 2 weeks were in a Cessna 182 for basic fixed wing.  Keep in mind that my class of 6 were all rotary veterans except for a WO1 who lucked out.
We then spent 3 days in an aerobatic aircraft doing spin recovery.  You'll be doing an annual class in Mesa, AZ later that beats the he'll out of the Rucker stuff.
Then we did a week in C12 C/D models.
Then we spent the next 80 hours in a C12V simulator.  For me this included thanksgiving and Christmas so lots of booze got me through.
After a week off on late January I went to Toronto for a month of sim training in the Dehaviland DCH7.  Followed by 2 weeks of actually flying the Dash7 in El Paso, TX.

After all that time the Army quit paying me because they thought I was AWOL.  Go fucking figure.

All of this training was done by Flight Safety in Dothan and Daleville, AL and Toronto.  The training in El Paso is run by the unit on Ft. Bliss.

Guys are starting to get the Dash8 transition now.  You may even fly jets depending on where you are assigned, but my gut tells me you will go to an MI unit.

Now life isn't bad, but I went from fighting the GWOT in the OH58D surrounded by ex Rangers, SF, infantry snipers, and AF parajumpers to hanging out with guys who successfully avoided deploying for 10 years.  

I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.
View Quote

How and when  are active duty Warrant Officers going through flight school selected for a fixed wing path? I assume class rank in primary and needs of the army?

I know this can change abruptly, but what's the demand for new fixed wing pilots? How large is the fixed wing community?
Thanks for all of your input.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#17]
1bmf: it is in rapid flux.  What one class does Might change completely in the two weeks before the next class does it.  

The fixed wing course contract used to average 8-10 people each class.  A class started every 2 weeks.  Not sure nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#18]
A fixed wing class starts every 2 weeks.  Usually 4-8 people.  This is active, reserve and NG mixed.  If for example a reserve or NG guy can't make it to class his slot is given to an active WO1 that just finished his rotary training.  This happened to us, our WO1 got fixed wing but then still reported to an Apache unit later.

For an active warrant to get fixed wing he applies for it and it goes before a selection board.  Getting selected depends on a few variables, I could only speculate what those are.  In 2003 it was rare to see a warrant get fixed wing out of IERW.  But that was probably due mostly to the war needs.  In recent years more guys have been getting FW earlier.  

The FW community is very small.  And its over populated with hideouts and stale personalities.  I see the demand for MI stuff potentially rising, assuming that UAVs don't screw the equation.  But I see Army FW as a whole
getting smaller.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#19]
All great information, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you very much!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From a retired Col. who's son is going through that track right now. I wonder if his kid is in a test program? One of the big problems is that the Army has such a small community of fixed wing pilots, most of whom were trained to Cessna Pilot Center standards. Perhaps the big Army is trying to upgrade the intensity level of training for that community. Another issue is the cost of staffing up a program like the -8 is so high, it's cheaper to contract the pilot positions out to the folks they are buying the airplanes from.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
From a retired Col. who's son is going through that track right now.
View Quote

I'm gonna have to call bs.  T6 is completely unsuitable for army training on many levels and buying them for flight school would be all over the media.  Any sort of agreement to send army guys to navy flight school would be big news as well.  

The army is getting a few t6 this summer, but definitely not for flight school.

Army airplanes are in a big shuffle now because there are many models, but very few of each model.  It makes moving airplane pilots around hard and makes standard training impossible.  Army is revamping/consolidating all the MI planes because of this.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#22]
We received a quick brief a few weeks ago about it when we got our initial airframe selection brief. Army fixed wing is about to get a lot bigger in the coming years.

Airforce giving'um up.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We received a quick brief a few weeks ago about it when we got our initial airframe selection brief. Army fixed wing is about to get a lot bigger in the coming years.

Airforce giving'um up.

View Quote

I've had a lot of briefings over the last decade about guaranteed things.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airforce giving'um up.

No doubt. But, it gives us WOJGs a little hope we might leave here with the fixed wing course. I would take it in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No doubt. But, it gives us WOJGs a little hope we might leave here with the fixed wing course. I would take it in a heart beat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airforce giving'um up.

In my day guys were hoping to fly Apaches or Kiowas.  I guess I don't blame you now, especially if they really do away with the annual boards.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I like helicopters quite a bit more than fixed wing. But I guess its probably an easier "Army" life. No FTXs to worry about
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Airforce giving'um up.

In my day guys were hoping to fly Apaches or Kiowas.  I guess I don't blame you now, especially if they really do away with the annual boards.

I like helicopters quite a bit more than fixed wing. But I guess its probably an easier "Army" life. No FTXs to worry about

Very true, but being around the people is nauseating.  I guess that why I've seen guys over the years give it up and go back to helos.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Meh...

Army fixed wing never appealed to me.  At all.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:07:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ditto. But to each, his own I guess. Now with the promise of no more boards, you need to do it from fight school, or not at all...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh...

Army fixed wing never appealed to me.  At all.

Ditto. But to each, his own I guess. Now with the promise of no more boards, you need to do it from fight school, or not at all...

I know that they're saying that but I give that concept about 4 years before it implodes.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:27:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Much like the idea of teaching newbs how to fly a fucking Lakota from the start......
View Quote

The fixed wing for life concept will implode for totally different reasons.

The small Army fixed wing community has always had issues with career management.  Selection boards give the Army the ability to draw the right number of the right ranks on a year to year basis.  The problems that Army has had in the past have been caused by them not being willing (or smart enough) to select from the "right" ranks at key points, swinging from too many senior accessions to too many junior accessions.

The Army fixed wing community isn't really one community.  It's several really small and not easily interchangeable communities.  There's no perfect way to run that but ending up with nothing but high time CW4s and no time CW2s just isn't a formula that can last.

But FW just isn't my lane so... whatever.

Link Posted: 11/28/2014 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Well, I guess I can jump in here and tell you how I did my fixed wing transition....

But, it'll probably come across as one of those "BACK IN THE GOLDEN OLDEN DAYS" stories.....

Finished Rucker, two years at Ft Ord (Where? I know, it's closed), then after seeing the writing on the wall (Brigade 0-6 wanted all the aviators to wear BDU's to the O Club and the PX.......Only the RLO's did that shit.....The Warrants all wore the bag all the time)......

Went to Korea for 2 years....

Got out, joined the Reserve, did 2 years worth of college in 9 months (Day and Night School......BS from ERAU.....45 Credits for being a Warrant), applied and accepted into the Air Force....Tried for an AF Guard/Reserve job, but they wanted the degree IN HAND before.  They'd gotten burned by guys getting a slot, and not having the degree when it came time to go to school....

Good luck with your journey....

I DO MISS Helo's.....

If they paid what I'm getting paid now, I'd be there in a heart beat....But, they don't.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, I guess I can jump in here and tell you how I did my fixed wing transition....

But, it'll probably come across as one of those "BACK IN THE GOLDEN OLDEN DAYS" stories.....

Finished Rucker, two years at Ft Ord (Where? I know, it's closed), then after seeing the writing on the wall (Brigade 0-6 wanted all the aviators to wear BDU's to the O Club and the PX.......Only the RLO's did that shit.....The Warrants all wore the bag all the time)......

Went to Korea for 2 years....

Got out, joined the Reserve, did 2 years worth of college in 9 months (Day and Night School......BS from ERAU.....45 Credits for being a Warrant), applied and accepted into the Air Force....Tried for an AF Guard/Reserve job, but they wanted the degree IN HAND before.  They'd gotten burned by guys getting a slot, and not having the degree when it came time to go to school....

Good luck with your journey....

I DO MISS Helo's.....

If they paid what I'm getting paid now, I'd be there in a heart beat....But, they don't.....
View Quote

I was born at Ft. Ord, back when it was hard.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:24:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The army is getting some c12 from the Air Force, but it's not a significant number of aircraft.  Army MI planes are being shuffled and reorganized because there is no standard for either the cockpits or what Intel equipment is on them.  It makes aircrew training and getting the intel into the system more difficult.  

Army FW training used to be a reward for w4 and w5 types a decade ago, now everybody selected has been w2-3 for many years.  The FW army was top heavy so Hrc corrected that.  Starting FW in flight school is good because it will give people longevity and keep more experience while not sucking experienced people from other airframes.  

Joe: flying a c12 is not all it's cracked up to be.  It's fun at first but boring and mind numbing after the newness wears off.  MI flying is doing a holding pattern on autopilot for maybe 6 hours at a time.  It will be a long time before a w1 who started fixed wing gets into a jet or a cool FW job.  I've been there done that in army flying and I would not pick c12 in flight school.  If you want to fly airplanes go navy or AF.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I'm gonna have to call bs.  T6 is completely unsuitable for army training on many levels and buying them for flight school would be all over the media.  Any sort of agreement to send army guys to navy flight school would be big news as well.  

Army airplanes are in a big shuffle now because there are many models, but very few of each model.  It makes moving airplane pilots around hard and makes standard training impossible.  Army is revamping/consolidating all the MI planes because of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From a retired Col. who's son is going through that track right now.

Call BS if you like, but as a civilian contractor flying today with Task Force ODIN, I can tell you I'm more likely to believe my co worker about what his kid is doing than anyone else. As a retired airline and Army pilot, I can tell you Army fixed wing training is woefully inadequate for the current missions required of them. This would not be the first time that we see the services contract out phases of flight training to the other branches. In 1981, when I attended RWQC at the ripe young age of 23, we had an Air Force Major going through the same class as I did. He had trained two Army pilots in the T-37 several years before for a special project.

Lots of exchange programs and cross training exists in the US military, why would you think this is totally impossible? The USAF trains its MC12 pilots using the T6 for phase one, they produce more mission capable pilots than the Army does.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The army is getting some c12 from the Air Force, but it's not a significant number of aircraft.  Army MI planes are being shuffled and reorganized because there is no standard for either the cockpits or what Intel equipment is on them.  It makes aircrew training and getting the intel into the system more difficult.  

Army FW training used to be a reward for w4 and w5 types a decade ago, now everybody selected has been w2-3 for many years.  The FW army was top heavy so Hrc corrected that.  Starting FW in flight school is good because it will give people longevity and keep more experience while not sucking experienced people from other airframes.  

Joe: flying a c12 is not all it's cracked up to be.  It's fun at first but boring and mind numbing after the newness wears off.  MI flying is doing a holding pattern on autopilot for maybe 6 hours at a time.  It will be a long time before a w1 who started fixed wing gets into a jet or a cool FW job.  I've been there done that in army flying and I would not pick c12 in flight school.  If you want to fly airplanes go navy or AF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know. Would you say the information on this site http://www.armyfixedwing.com/ is accurate? My end goal would be to end up in jets, hopefully G5's.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 11:27:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My end goal would be to end up in jets, hopefully G5's.
View Quote

The army has only a few g5, like single digit numbers.  It's very much a good-ol' boy club.  You'll need to be a good pilot and have people skills to get into the club.  It will take a bunch of years to get there.  

Go AF, the small jets like that are not in high demand these days as I understand, much better chances of getting an aircraft like that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You have better odds flying AH6s with the TF than you do getting G5s.

But enjoy the goal. Good look with you endeavor.
View Quote

Well I wasn't going to crush his dreams, but yeah pretty much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top