Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 5:20:06 PM EDT
What do you know about a 73' wagon?  Are they a good package to start with for a trail rig?  One is for sale locally?  They look a little long in the back like a suburban, but I suppose I could shorten it. or extend the WB.

Anyone had any experience with them, or know a good website??
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to be into them.  I had an 87 FJ60 and a 93 FZJ80.  I love the wagons!  You're probably looking at a FJ55 and they are very cool looking.  Nicknamed the Iron Pig.

Dude I used to know when I was into Land Cruisers had a sweet one.  Nicknamed Rock Lobster.  He's since opened up his own fab shop building bumpers and such.  Check out this page:  www.birfield.com/~morgan/images/J5/   Look for "Lance and the Rock Lobster."

This is his shop's web site:  www.ironpigoffroad.com/

Google search Rock Lobster and Land Cruiser and I'm sure you'll find a ton of stuff on his truck.

Check out tlca.org and especially the Land Cruiser Mailing List (LCML).  Tons of info there or just google FJ55.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:34:30 PM EDT
[#2]
We've had several FJ 40s, the wagon is basically the same setup as far as engine, tranny, and the likes. Still hell for stout but body parts are MUCH harder to find and if anything, will cost more then the 40s.

Check out some Land Cruiser sites before you buy and see what is available as far as body parts if it needs any. Engine parts are still available as are tranny/Xfer and axle parts.

I've still got a LC parts book and misc around here if you get it.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Those trucks are indestructible, the straight 6 will still be running when the sun burns out. Only thing to worry about is rust and that the odo may have turned over 7 or 8 times.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I did a drive by and it looks pretty good.  Paint is misc. colors, but I think it was protected from the rust fairly well.  The guy wants $500 for it and an extra drive train.  I kinda wanted to jeep style one to use as a trail rig, but if this is a good buy then I will get it and be happy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top