Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2016 11:30:43 PM EDT
So we're moving in to a new house, I've got an older 47" LCD and a smaller LCD.

I figured its time to get a new TV, and saw quite a few good looking deals lately. I'm sure Christmas sales will be great. I just don't really know what's a good price/specs now, haven't kept up.

I'll be watching TV mostly, some Xbox and movies. Its for the living room so needs to be 55-60". CATCH: school loans = it needs to be <$700. I saw what looked like a good deal at best buy and target but not sure if its any different than a normal price
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Wait till after Christmas. They will be giving them away. A 47" is not a small set, you can live with that until the right deal comes along.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at TCL branded stuff,  decent lcds,  good price for consumer level stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buy any that meets your criteria. In that price point, they're all the same 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Superbowl weekend is supposed to  be the best time to buy a TV.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Professional TV slinger here.
TCL is good bang for the buck. While I don't sell them (can't make any money on them), they are good tvs.
I have a 46" one in my office, very happy with it.
They are pretty much LG tvs with a different bezel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Get 4k. 1080p is outdated technology.
I git my Samsung 55" for $650, and that was before christmas sales. LG is pretty good too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:49:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

TCL is good bang for the buck. While I don't sell them (can't make any money on them), they are good tvs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never even heard of it. I've been pretty stuck on Samsung TVs honestly but no specific reason
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Get 4k. 1080p is outdated technology.
I git my Samsung 55" for $650, and that was before christmas sales. LG is pretty good too.
View Quote

I was hoping for 4k but I'm not even sure that I get any programming in 4k
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Nobody else?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I have purchased several Sceptre Tv's from walmart.com

Price is very good, 3 yr warranty for a few $$ more,
and considerably cheaper than anybody else for the same model.

90 day return policy, they even pay freight.
Get one, try it, dont like it, send it back.

Be aware, there is very little 4k programming /dvd's available, so the whole 4k thing is a scam, right now.

MOST Tv/cable is only 720P, not even 1080p yet, so 4k is just marketing, unless you are gonna use as a monitor
on a high-end computer / gaming system.

IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So we're moving in to a new house, I've got an older 47" LCD and a smaller LCD.

I figured its time to get a new TV, and saw quite a few good looking deals lately. I'm sure Christmas sales will be great. I just don't really know what's a good price/specs now, haven't kept up.

I'll be watching TV mostly, some Xbox and movies. Its for the living room so needs to be 55-60". CATCH: school loans = it needs to be <$700. I saw what looked like a good deal at best buy and target but not sure if its any different than a normal price
View Quote

With your pricepoint, you will have to compromise on size if you want something decent.

That something being this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-chromecast-built-in-4k-ultra-hd-home-theater-display-with-high-dynamic-range-black/4989300.p?skuId=4989300&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=ba51e74d-f117-4cf5-ab84-58e9488f9816&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg70950&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=CLjBqI_mg9ECFQhMDQodUHEI1A

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1253326&gclid=CIyrkJDmg9ECFcVLDQodlisGKQ&Q=&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C92051678882%2C&is=REG&A=details

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I was hoping for 4k but I'm not even sure that I get any programming in 4k
View Quote

black friday there were 4k 55 to 60in tvs going for under $600, stuff is dirt cheap right now and the Samsung smart tvs are great to work with as far as ease of use, I would stick with them personally
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:40:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So whats the difference in that and This

or this

or even this
View Quote

None of the tv's you posted support HDR.  The vizio I posted does, and supports both HDR formats.

The tv's you posted use inferior quality LCD panels with worse LED backlighting systems that produce an inferior image/picture quality to the Vizio I posted.

The tv's you posted have inferior scaling systems to upscale lower resolution content to make it look good at 4k.

The vizio I posted has an included tablet for smart cast support, which the other vizio's lack and the samsung doesn't offer.  The samsung has built in apps that will not be supported as time goes on and are of no real benefit when it comes to "smart" tv's.  At least the 2016 vizio's support casting which allows you to make use of the ios app store/google play on android apps that are continuously updated.

Ultimately the tv's you linked to make too many compromises to make their existence worthwhile.  They all offer a mediocre experience which is no better than decent 1080p tv's of years past.  There really is no point in buying such tv's unless you enjoy spending money on worthless purchases.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

None of the tv's you posted support HDR.  The vizio I posted does, and supports both HDR formats.

The tv's you posted use inferior quality LCD panels with worse LED backlighting systems that produce an inferior image/picture quality to the Vizio I posted.

The tv's you posted have inferior scaling systems to upscale lower resolution content to make it look good at 4k.

The vizio I posted has an included tablet for smart cast support, which the other vizio's lack and the samsung doesn't offer.  The samsung has built in apps that will not be supported as time goes on and are of no real benefit when it comes to "smart" tv's.  At least the 2016 vizio's support casting which allows you to make use of the ios app store/google play on android apps that are continuously updated.

Ultimately the tv's you linked to make too many compromises to make their existence worthwhile.  They all offer a mediocre experience which is no better than decent 1080p tv's of years past.  There really is no point in buying such tv's unless you enjoy spending money on worthless purchases.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So whats the difference in that and This

or this

or even this

Way more to it than I thought. Hmm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top