Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 2:46:44 PM EDT
Any SF members here?
If so could you tell ma a little about your training path, experiences and which position you have on the team? (commo,med ect...) Also how is it decided which role you play? Random, Skillset based?

Spunk SF candidate.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 82ndAbn.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#4]
USP.org has some tough cookies!
Wow, and I thought ARFCOM was friendly
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:27:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I can't tell you without killing you!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:24:27 PM EDT
[#8]
When I was in, I always thought I was "Special"...does that count??

Honestly, you question sound's like it's coming from a 16 Year old Airsofter..No offense. You will NEVER get any serious replies to those questions. You need to drop back on a board and just listen and soak it all in. it will take you longer, but it's the only way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:09:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Also try www.professionalsoldiers.com

This is an excellent site.  But any one coming over should tread lightly. Make sure you do a search on your topic or question before you bring it up. Don't get smart with anyone, let alone the Quiet Professionals. Make sure the first thing you do is fill out your profile and post you first post is in the introduction thread. I have seen people sliced to ribbons for asking a question that is dumb, has already been answered, or the answer to which would obviously violate OPSEC - as well as people who violate the profile/first post rules. It is not at all uncommon for people to be banned on their first post.

I am not staff over there or even SF (or even known there for that matter).  Just giving a heads up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:03:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Helpfull, in a DI sorta way.
When I was 16 I had a 700VS. Airsoft is a toy, I graduated from air rifles(the .177 and .22 kind) when I was a little boy. I ship real soon; like 8 days soon.
I'm just looking to learn a bit from the people who have been there.
I may come off like an idiot, but I was always taught that the only stupid question is the one you did'nt ask.

No offense intended in return.

I just got back from my 2nd trip to MEPS, and I'm bushwacked.

After all is said and done, all I want is to jump. HALO will be nice too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
20th Group here. Was in the pipeline for SFAS, but have recently changed gears. Now on a SOT Team.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I may come off like an idiot, but I was always taught that the only stupid question is the one you did'nt ask.

SF guys would hope you can be more than just not stupid. Can you do your own research? Can you search a board before asking a question that was asked last week? Can you pass basic before worrying about HALO? Since not even 1 in 100 people who say they want to be SF ever even enlist, and 1 in a 100 of them then make it, yah it gets a little old answering every newbie question.

Also a smart SF guy figures if he doesn't know something, there is a good chance somebody else doesn't know it either, so he waits for the other dumb-ass to ask!!

18C3VW8
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#13]
What do you want?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Really all I would like to know is.
Are OSUT and Jump school going to be enough to prepare me for SFAS; assuming I keep my head down, ears open, mouth shut, give my training 100% and pass both?

Looking at my contract, It shows that I only have 1 or 2 days between completion of Jump school and
the start of the selection process. I will not have the time to do the program outlined in PT 31-210 SWCS as suggested on the SORC site, before I get to SFAS.

I have searched here and many other sources, and I still would like to know more then what info I have collected already. I am not in top physical condition now, but I am looking at this in a positive light.
The DI's will help(make) me get in the best shape of my life, and I'm going to work as hard as I can, as much as I can.

Sorry for the cherry questions, I just want to be sure I'll be ready if I give it my all in the 21 weeks leading me to SFAS.

Thanks.

Edited to add a few things.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Really all I would like to know is.
Are OSUT and Jump school going to be enough to prepare me for SFAS; assuming I keep my head down, ears open, mouth shut, give my training 100% and pass both?

Hell NO.

Looking at my contract, It shows that I only have 1 or 2 days between completion of Jump school and
the start of the selection process. I will not have the time to do the program outlined in PT 31-210 SWCS as suggested on the SORC site, before I get to SFAS.

You're fucked.

I have searched here and many other sources, and I still would like to know more then what info I have collected already. I am not in top physical condition now, but I am looking at this in a positive light.

You're really fucked.

The DI's will help(make) me get in the best shape of my life, and I'm going to work as hard as I can, as much as I can.

What the Drill Sgt's will teach you will not be enough.

Sorry for the cherry questions, I just want to be sure I'll be ready if I give it my all in the 21 weeks leading me to SFAS.

No Problem

Thanks.

You're Welcome

Edited to add a few things.

Go here: El Linko

Then read this one again: El Training Rountino

Do that & you'll have a chance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:25:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive been to that site, thats the training I was looking at.
You're right about me being doubly fucked on this one, that's what I was guessing.
I'll just have to do that program during my OSUT, and after I get let out of jump school for the day, every day, plus saturdays and sundays.
Also on the 10 days leave that I just found out I'll get after jump school, before I go to Bragg.
Damn, now I actually want to do hometown recruiting just so I can get some extra training done.

Time for me to embrace the suck.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Better start rucking with land nav mixed in!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:28:51 PM EDT
[#18]
You had better start rucking now to get your feet ready.  I rucked 10miles 2 times per week for two months around the old Ft. Campbell ASP with a 5 gallon water can in my ruck for weight. (and do it in the boots your gonna wear at selection.)

You need to be able to run an 8 minute mile pace for 5 or more miles. your longest one at selection is 6 or 8 (at least when I went through).

Keep your mouth shut at all times.

If you want to make it......DON'T QUIT.

IF you make it through selection, and the Q-course remember we are called "The Quiet Professionals" for a reason, so don't feel the need to tell the world what you do or how bad ass you are.

I heard it here........ A SEAL will TELL you what he knows, an SF operator will SHOW you what he knows.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:59:16 AM EDT
[#19]
FROST18E.
I do not have the time (not by choice) to train as much as I would like before OSUT.
This is not an excuse however.
I signed for a ship date 14 days after my inital MEPS processing.
I have to take care of things in my civilian life before I ship.
I am a bit overwhelmed by all of this.

All I can think of at this moment is to do my best at my chosen profession.
For some reason 11X and 19D were closed on 20050909 at the Ft Lee MEPS.
11X + opt 40 was also not available.
I did not know what 18X was at the time; I signed anyway.
I wanted a combat arms MOS with ABN, I got that in spades.

I signed, as soon as the liasion gave me the paperwork.
I know what I am up against (now).
I chose to serve.
I cannot say that I made a wise choice; but I stand by it.
I am not complaining about my MOS choice.
I am afraid, to not be afraid would be crazy.
I do not want to fail.

A few more questions.

You rucked with (5 gallons @ 8.3 Lbs/Gal=) ~40Lbs + LBE, M16 and ALICE,  for two months.
Did you follow http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/sfas/prepare.html, or youre own program?
I have not been issued BDU's, boots, or my ruck yet.
I'm just a DEPER.

I am guessing/assuming you were well versed in fieldcraft.
How much time had you spent in the service/training beforehand?
18X, or SFAS by choice at a later date in your service?
I do not expect any coddling here, please answer by choice, if at all.

I am not attempting anyhting other then to learn.

I will not speak of any training I receive, it is imperative that I do not.

I thank you for your advice.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.......
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm not an operator nor have I ever been one, but there are a couple of things I've learned over the years from people who are. You will be in the best shape of your life after both Infantry and Airborne schools so put it to good use. The selection process is not like other schools. There will not be any 'helpful' drill instructors 'cheering' you on to greater heights of physical excellence. SF selection is up to you, and you alone. It is designed to expose flaws in your character and your physical limitations. You will be given ample chances to just up and quit at any time for any reason. It's up to you not to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:45:59 AM EDT
[#22]

You rucked with (5 gallons @ 8.3 Lbs/Gal=) ~40Lbs + LBE, M16 and ALICE,  for two months.
Did you follow http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/sfas/prepare.html, or youre own program?
I have not been issued BDU's, boots, or my ruck yet.
I'm just a DEPER.

I am guessing/assuming you were well versed in fieldcraft.
How much time had you spent in the service/training beforehand?
18X, or SFAS by choice at a later date in your service?
I do not expect any coddling here, please answer by choice, if at all.

I applied for SFAS two months after I PCSed to Ft. Campbell KY because it was such a shit hole and I had gone from a LRS company at FT. Hood to an Aviation brigade there, and becoming SF was the only way I could PCS from Campbell quickly.  I was a 31C E5 with four years in, who knew dick about land nav or small unit tactics.  I was a better runner before I went to SFAS than when I got out and never made it back to that condition.  It took close to two month  before I regained the feeling in my hands from some of the team week carries.  

When I went through selection it was 3 or 4 weeks I forget.  the first week seemed to be only paperwork and classroom work. they taught you how to read a map and land nav. this is because not everyone who goes to selection is an 11B or such.  you got to sleep from midnight to 0400 hours only and to keep you awake they would make you empty the entire building and GI it from top to bottom including the walls. then you would go do your land nav practicals everyday for like a week, night and day land nav.  Then came team week where the men and boys were seperated.  I wanted to quit everyday but didn't because it hurt really bad. My class started with 400+ finish with 120-something, and 113 were selected for the Q-course.  lot of guys did the duffle bag drag to the 'ol shack of shame.

Selection is run different know though, team week as I knew it is gone.  they kind of run it like the old phase I from what I hear.  

personally I think its a mistake for the Army to go the route the other services did in allowing guys straight off the street to enter the special ops community.  The biggest strength SF had was its experience.  Not only was everyone an operator after the Q but they were also a commo guy, a mechanic, a computer programmer, an NBC guy etc. because everyone came from different MOS's and had different experiences.  They had been in long enough to know how the army worked and how to work the system. Every one had a minimum of 4 years on because you had to be an E4 promotable to go to the Q course. When I got to my team at 1st group I was an E6 and the lowest ranking guy on the team.  Group is the only place you will find a Master Sergeant , E8, team daddy mowing the grass when its his teams turn.  

anyways good luck.

PS. When you get a chance get two sets of boots resoled with the extra 1/2 inch padding between the sole and boot.  ripple sole works good.  also learn to climb a rope with your legs and not your arms.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:03:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's some advice. Just Soldier. Sign up as an 11B and learn to Soldier. Find out what it's like. get in a unit and learn the tasks and gain experience and don't worry about trying to be special. This is a great time to be in the Army and get real world experience. You want some advice. Complete Basic/OSUT/Jump School and get in a unit that is deploying and then you will get plenty of experience. learn what it;s like to be lead, then learn how to lead and then after your first Hitch, if you still think it's the life for you, then think about a career path being "Special"

Everybody want's to be "special" but I'd give anything to be a 11B straight leg Fireteam leader deployed in a Light Infantry Unit on deployement.   Special is in the heart and Mind not on your shoulder.............
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Your first concern after completing OSUT and ABN school is SOPC I. Its there that they'll break you in and prepare you for SFAS. They will push you harder then anywhere else you've been so far. If you quit there then there is no hope. Never quit and see how far it takes you.  I saw so many people quit it was rediculous. I just finished up Phase III and I'm leaving for Phase IV in a week. I've put up with alot of BS but everything comes to an end and you just have to drive on.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I initialy wanted to sign as 11X, but It was closed. 18X was the only infantry MOS open at the time.
I'm glad I took it, and at the least I'll be infantry anyway.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:43:11 PM EDT
[#26]
lol, i have a very very hard time believing that there were no 11b spots :P

if you started to walk out, i'm sure one woulda opened up almost magically.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I initialy wanted to sign as 11X, but It was closed. 18X was the only infantry MOS open at the time.

Just tell them you want to quit then you'll be instant airborne infantry. Just don't waste the cadre's time in the Q-Course if its not what you want.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just tell them you want to quit then you'll be instant airborne infantry. Just don't waste the cadre's time in the Q-Course if its not what you want.

Would that work? Can I do this pre Q course? Can I try out for SF later? I don't care about the enlistment bonus, I would just prefer to not set myself up for failure. I signed for five years anyway, and I would like to be deployed. I did not sign to ride a desk, or not see combat. I chose to go infantry, 18X was just what I got. Like Tallbill said; I agree that if I didn't want to sign, 11X would have probably been available. I'm just going by what I was told at MEPS by the liason's(sp) office, and I wanted to get out of the civ' life I was in ASAP.

I'll keep all of this in mind throughout OSUT. Ultimately I want to jump, and see combat.
First I'd like to get all my stuff into storage.
Crap.. I gotta sleep now.

I look forward to to all of this like the first day of HS.
A little nervous, and more then a bit scared.

Thanks for the advice.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Yea you can drop your 18X contract. Its all voluntary in the first place. You volunteer for the Army, then Airborne school, then Special Forces. When you first get to the Reception Battalion before you start OSUT you could take care of it right there. Or you could wait and see how basic goes. In my platoon if the Drill Sgts thought highly enough of you they would offer RIP (Ranger) contracts or Airborne. They asked me if I wanted to drop the 18X and go to RIP instead. I turned that down.

So yes there are plenty of ways. Take your pick.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Spunk,
You are thinking to much, just go and do!
If you should fail then change gears, but give it 100% for as long as you can all things end one way or another.  
You are assuming you won't get hurt, sick or even dead.  Yes, these things happen in training so just tape your ears back and enjoy the ride.  Don't be a pussy, just do it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
SHoulda gone with the Marines, 0321
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:44:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'm not an operator nor have I ever been one, but there are a couple of things I've learned over the years from people who are. You will be in the best shape of your life after both Infantry and Airborne schools so put it to good use.

Disclaimer-- I was not SF. Just  Active Duty Airborne Infantry

My experience was that I was in OK shape after Infantry OSUT and  BAS. Once I got to my unit was when I was in the best shape of my life. The runs at BAS were a joke. Start running and rucking and get those feet hard.  Get yourself a skill level one book and start reading. Learn to be a squared away soldier first.  

Good luck Cherry (youre gonna need it)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top