Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/26/2013 1:57:21 PM EST
Read this month's copy of VFW magazine which had an article chronicling our adventure in Somalia. I came home from that dump pissed off. Hard to emphasize to my wife how that place made me (and still makes me) feel. She had a little better understanding after reading it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:07:17 AM EST
I'm a Somali vet. First half of 1993, Mogadishu and then Bardera. I so miss Bardera, it was a real gem after Mogadishu. I still think about it all time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:04:09 PM EST
I was next door flying out of Mombassa post Blackhawk Down, Oct/Nov/Dec 93. We flew KC-135R's at night to refuel the AC-130's we also launched each night.

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:02:45 AM EST
I was with 5th SFG ... Was over there in '89 at Baledogle airbase (training Somali commandos). Situation was rapidly deteriorating while over there. We took fire, as well as having locals pelting us with rocks. Several embassies began evacuating at the time. We were pulled out of the country quickly.

Went back in early '93 for Restore Hope. Lived at what remained of the U.S. embassy compound. Spent most of my time in Mogadishu, but spent time out at Beledweyn, Dusamareb (along the Ethiopian border). Lost a friend out there to an anti-tank mine which destroyed the HMMWV he was driving.

I ended up returning to the region in early '95 under operation United Shield (UN withdrawal from Somalia). Was with SOCCENT based out of Mombasa, Kenya. Made a few flights over Mogadishu with Navy P3 missions.

Hated that place, and am still angry over how things went over there. Made it through Desert Shield/Desert Storm without casualties ... Came home as heroes. Went to Somalia and took several casualties in the unit ... And pretty much were forgotten about.

Good to hear from a few others who went through that shit hole.
Top Top