Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 6:12:55 AM EDT
The honey and I are heading to Hawaii in Nov.  After a few years of toying w/ the idea, I think we're ready to take a course and get a diving cert.  Question is, which one.  I just started reading up on NAUI and PADI and figured I'd throw it out to the Arf.com boys (and girls).  We both already snorkel, although I know thats probably irrelevant.  Any input would be great..Thanks    
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:14:47 AM EDT
[#1]
NAUI, PADI, it's all good.  Everybody teaches pretty much the same stuff, a NAUI shop will honor a PADI card, and the reverse is true also.  Choose based upon the instructor, not NAUI or PADI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
NAUI, PADI, it's all good.  Everybody teaches pretty much the same stuff, a NAUI shop will honor a PADI card, and the reverse is true also.  Choose based upon the instructor, not NAUI or PADI.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:24:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What they said.
One thing about PADI is they have a computer D-base with your cert on it. If you ever forget your card on vacation it can be looked up on the web for a fee.
I dont think NAUI has that capability, someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I did PADI and really enjoyed it. Indoor pool for classes, local quarry for open water cert. We did it in the winter and nearly froze to death. Wetsuits aren't warm enough for me at 60' in the winter. Check the swap meets for gear. MAKE SURE you find a mask that fits you correctly.
It may take trying alot of them, but take the time and get one that doesn't leak. You'll thank me later.  Most dive shops will let you wear it in the pool prior to purchase. Take them up on it.
You may also want to buy your own mouthpeice. A mouthpeice that is too large or small will make your jaw hurt after 30 min. or so.

ETA: Pooby is correct. PADI certified divers can do a "PADI check" over the marine band radio. Its a nice thing for forgetful folks like me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Read the books before you go.  That way you have to study less out there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:34:58 AM EDT
[#6]
PADI is the most widely taught although NAUI is equally recognized.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks alot.... I just found a great site, www.thescubaguide.com, already learning a ton.  NAUI so far seems a bit more "heady" if ya know what I mean.  I like the courses that go a bit..eh-em....deeper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#8]
PADI.  If there is time, sign up for the advanced open water cert right after you finish basic.  It will give you something like 6 more dives under more of a real world scenarios.  Mare fun than learning but it will help with your confidence.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You snorkeling experience is important because your comfort level in the water is important. My only advice is to make your own decisions about what you are comfortable with and what is safe for you. Don't let presumed experts with a pretty patch on their jacket lead into a dangerous situation.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Flip a coin, then go have some fun.

Damn. It's been YEARS since I've been diving, and it doesn't look like I'll be going again anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Get certified before you go. Dont waste your vacation in a class, use it to dive and get a camera.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:51:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I have

Padi:  Open Water

Naui:  Advanced Open Water

Both are very good,  just choose which ever has the more convienent schedule for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#13]

My experience is that PADI is more common.  Less than NAUI, but that is just my bias.  

I have dove HI and it is fun, but, IMO, the Carribean is much prettier.

One of the coolest dives I have ever done was at Disney World.  Yep, WDW.  I was able to dive the large saltwater aquarium in EPCOT.  30ft dive for about an hour.  To say a lot of fish is an understatement.   Scareing kids looking thru the glass? Priceless.   They gave a PADI divers a 10% discount.

Diving is fun.

I have both Basic and Advanced Open Water PADI cert.

Have fun.

Make sure your class is not a 'resort' class and you really get your card.

+1 on getting your cert before vacation if possible.

Have  fun.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:09:37 AM EDT
[#14]
advice????    NEVER hold your breath... don't panic... pee in your wetsuit if you get cold  

lawdog
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:03:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I just got back from Hawaii - if you are diving in Kona, I can recommend "Kona Honu Divers".  I really liked them.  Other people have also recommended "Big Island Divers" but I think Kona Honu would be much better for relatively new divers.  (Since their boat is larger - but they don't pack people in).  

What you MIGHT be able to do is to do most of your certification locally, and then do the final open water divers with one of the dive operators in Hawaii.  Some places will do that kind of "referral" certification - and it it's a LOT more fun to do your open water dives in warm Hawaii waters than it is in chilly New Jersey water!  It might be worth looking into.

I agree with everyone else - PADI or NAUI doesn't really make a difference, but PADI might be slightly more convenient.

I've got PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, and EANx certifications.  I'll probably do Rescue Diver next year if I have the time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Dude, try and do you classroom/pool work local and your openwater in HI... Sometimes your local shop can work this for you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#17]
As long as you keep your log book (usually given to you as a completion gift) showing current dives, you should be OK.

Sheesh - I've gotta get my qual dive in for the year.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#18]
NAUI & PADI are the same.  I think PADI is easier.  I did the NAUI course in college.  If I was doing now as an adult w/limited free time, I'd go for whatever was close, easier, cheaper, more convienent.

Have fun!  Diving is a blast.  Lot's of fun in a warm tropical climate.  Not so much in the gray NorthEast.  

BTW, except for mask, fins, snorkel; don't run out and buy a bunch of gear right away.  Make sure it's for you first.  I mean more than a few dives.  Otherwise it'll just sit in the garage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:14:56 PM EDT
[#19]
NAUI of course..... I am a NAUI Instructor  I think someone mentioned above that NAUI courses are a bit more "heady". I originally taught diving at a university research facility. Most major certifying agencies will give you a "complete" course covering all the things that can hurt you. I feel the most important piece is the instructor of your course. Get some type of reference ie.) talk to someone who has taken instruction from this individual and what they liked and disliked about the course. Check around and pick  the most desirable instruction based on this recommendation. Diving is a great family activity and my wife and I have been diving for 25 years . Now my 2 children dive with us and vacations are always an adventure. Enjoy  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I have taken both courses (long story) and they are both good but PADI seems to teach more "practical" diving.  I.E. do this and this and this but without the theory

NAUI teaches the practical but also teaches more theory along with it.  I enjoyed the Naui course more because of the theory stuff and it helped me diving at altitute (4500 feet) cause I knew how the altitude tables worked.   There was more information there.

They are both good but I got more out of the NAUI course and I understood scuba diving a lot more.  

Also I've noticed that the closer you get to the coasts the more NAUI certs you run into but like everyone said;  it's all good.  They are all honored everywhere.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:01:17 AM EDT
[#21]
man, after reading this stuff i dug out all my old scuba gear for shits and giggles...wish i'd kept my padi cert current...

does anyone know where i can get replacement straps for my fins and mask?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I have only gone through one NAUI, all the way through Advanced,  the last class we took, was Mult Gas class and the instructor was NAUI  and PADI.  HE told up that NAUI was a better way to go , Don’t know why but that is what he said.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for all that good stuff!  Looks like a MUST DO!  Only problem now is $$$$ (as ussual)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:22:34 AM EDT
[#24]
They are all about the same.  Slight variations in content, but physics is physics and there ain't not way around that.  So the real differences are in the presentation and follow-up course availability.

PADI, NAUI, SSI all good.  PADI is probably the undisputed internationally recognized organization that does have the quick-certcheck capability.  SSI has a toll free number as well.  Not sure about NAUI.  Bottom line is, don't forget your card when you go.  Keep it with your mask/fins/snorkle/booties (all your personal gear you probably want to own) and you won't have a problem.

FYI- I was an asst. instructor for PADI and SSI, divemaster for both, and a boat-load of speciality certs.  Originally cert was NAUI.

Final recommendations include go with your certs BEFORE your trip.  It will be much better to get it out of the way before hand and have an idea of what to expect when you do it for real.  Second, go with a shop that is convenient to your location.  If it's PADI, and close and you like the people, go with them.  If it's SSI or NAUI, go and meets the criteria, go with them.

Scuba is a great sport and you should choose your shop like you are going to build a long-term business relationship.  The more you frequent, purchase and service, the better they get to know you and associated treatment and favors/discounts.

My .02...
~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I am a PADI Instructor.  Both NAUI & PADI are pretty much the same.  I have certifications from each.

PADI is more widely available but you will never have any trouble with the NAUI certification being accepted.  

My recommendation is to take the course and get certified before you go.  Don't wait and take the resort course while you're on vacation.  

As previously posted-  Take the Advance Course right after the basic.  The extra time in the water and skills learned will really help you enjoy you diving.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top