Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/15/2006 7:03:04 AM EDT
my wife and i will be traveling to san antonio the first week in april so she can look at a grad school program at UTSA. i think i have a dept to transfer to, but i have heard good things about SAPD. can anyone give me any good info? thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:32:41 AM EDT
Just a citizen, but I know their police chief recently retired if that matters, but they seem to enjoy a pretty low crime rate for such a big city. Hope you're up on your espanol. :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:53 AM EDT
my spanish isn't too bad, but i have lost some of it since college. i won't have a problem picking it back up once i hang out with a few mexicans for a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:20:31 AM EDT
Looks like their new chief was the old chief in Minneapolis. Judging from what some people on another forum said about him, it's not too positive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:08 AM EDT
I used to work very close with SAPD when I was an MP in SA back in the early 90's. Awesome Dept. and great area to live
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:13:15 AM EDT
New to the board.....
There is no "transfer" per se into SAPD.
You can come and apply, and if chosen, go through the academy.
The only thing that having a previous LE certification does is allow you to not have to take the TCLEOSE exam at the end of the academy.

Sorry, it's a union thing.

Best Regards,
pato
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:13:55 PM EDT
yeah, i know you can't really transfer into SAPD, but yeah, when i get down i will be applying....that is, when the TCLOSE exam thing comes around and i can go take the test. i like TX but i will say y'all do have a dicked up hiring process for law enforcement! i thought only yankee states did it that way
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:46:02 PM EDT
You can challenge the TCLEOSE exam--at least you could a while back.
SAPD--can't yet have reached your 35th birthday when you start the academy.
The force is undermanned, but the union gives great bennies to the rank and file.

There are a number of suburban departments that have good departments as well--although none with the benefits package that SAPD offers.

Comal County--just to the NE of San Antonio (New Braunfels) starts deputies out at about 31,500 per year--which isn't too bad considering the area and low cost of living.

Good luck,

pato
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
thanks, i'm also gonna put in for the game warden position that's open right now. we'll see how things go.
Top Top