Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2006 7:03:04 AM EDT
my wife and i will be traveling to san antonio the first week in april so she can look at a grad school program at UTSA. i think i have a dept to transfer to, but i have heard good things about SAPD. can anyone give me any good info? thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Just a citizen, but I know their police chief recently retired if that matters, but they seem to enjoy a pretty low crime rate for such a big city. Hope you're up on your espanol. :)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
my spanish isn't too bad, but i have lost some of it since college. i won't have a problem picking it back up once i hang out with a few mexicans for a while.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:20:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like their new chief was the old chief in Minneapolis. Judging from what some people on another forum said about him, it's not too positive.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I used to work very close with SAPD when I was an MP in SA back in the early 90's. Awesome Dept. and great area to live
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
New to the board.....
There is no "transfer" per se into SAPD.
You can come and apply, and if chosen, go through the academy.
The only thing that having a previous LE certification does is allow you to not have to take the TCLEOSE exam at the end of the academy.

Sorry, it's a union thing.

Best Regards,
pato
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah, i know you can't really transfer into SAPD, but yeah, when i get down i will be applying....that is, when the TCLOSE exam thing comes around and i can go take the test. i like TX but i will say y'all do have a dicked up hiring process for law enforcement! i thought only yankee states did it that way
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You can challenge the TCLEOSE exam--at least you could a while back.
SAPD--can't yet have reached your 35th birthday when you start the academy.
The force is undermanned, but the union gives great bennies to the rank and file.

There are a number of suburban departments that have good departments as well--although none with the benefits package that SAPD offers.

Comal County--just to the NE of San Antonio (New Braunfels) starts deputies out at about 31,500 per year--which isn't too bad considering the area and low cost of living.

Good luck,

pato
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks, i'm also gonna put in for the game warden position that's open right now. we'll see how things go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top