Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 10:33:55 PM EDT
Getting ready to plunge into the wonderful world of RV ownership.  My parents (avid RV'ers) are buying my wife and I a used pop-up from my mom's cousin.  We're going to pick it up Monday.

Can't wait to toss a ton of money into it.

My wife and I have wanted a pop-up for a long time, just never had the money to take the plunge.  

Now I just need to figure out where to park the thing.  My yard is going to be full (boat/trailer, canoe, etc.).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#1]
No. I'm not old enough.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Heck, I'm only 29.  I mainly want one to take to deer camp every fall.  I'm getting tired of having to bum a bed off of everyone else.

Plus the wife and I like to travel, just hate to pay big $$$ for a hotel room.  It is going to be much nicer paying $15-20 for campground rental than paying $50-70 for a hotel room.

Now my parents, on the other hand, are into it big time.  They have a 22' travel trailer and usually spend 4-5 weeks a year on the road.  They've covered over half the US over the last two summers.  Since dad is retiring in two months, I'd say they'll spend a good 2-3 months a year on the road.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Why, yes.  I do.  It's a 37.5 foot Pace Arrow powered by a gas guzzlin carburated phord 460.  Heat/Ac shower washer dryer and 2 tvs!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:08:36 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of mileage do you get with that thing? 6 MPG?

Nice rig BTW.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#5]
buying a 26' slideout in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:11:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 05' Flaggstaff 831 RLSS. I love my travel trailer, just need a bigger truck now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a boat.  Does that count?

I think RVing would be cool.  However, some of those campgrounds are pretty crowded...  For as much as I get out on the open road, I prefer a motel.  In the long run I think it is cheaper and less trouble.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What kind of mileage do you get with that thing? 6 MPG?

Nice rig BTW.

Thanks.  

I get 6 MPG downhill, with a tailwind!!!

It is a lot of fun.  We try not to go to crowded campgrounds.  State parks are good.  We go to the beach a couple of times per year.  

It does require upkeep.  Mine is a 1989 model and has 45K miles on it.  We took it to Disney once, great campground there. Ft. Wilderness.  Waterpump and fan blew up in Jacksonville on the way home, and it took 3 days and $1200 to get it fixed.

Also have a covered 15ft Trailer I haul around when going hunting with 4 wheeler and junk in it.  Quite a lengthy rig!

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#9]
i have a 31 ft  travel trailer with a front slide out  
we love camping and boating

rvnet.com is the ar15 of camping
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
YES.....We bought a 28ft Wildwood travel trl last summer LOVE IT. me wife 4 kids and 2 dogs doesn't get much better.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Getting ready to plunge into the wonderful world of RV ownership.  My parents (avid RV'ers) are buying my wife and I a used pop-up from my mom's cousin.  We're going to pick it up Monday.

Can't wait to toss a ton of money into it.

My wife and I have wanted a pop-up for a long time, just never had the money to take the plunge.  

Now I just need to figure out where to park the thing.  My yard is going to be full (boat/trailer, canoe, etc.).

Make sure the supports for the slide out portions that form the "beds" are in good shape. It's a very rude awakening when they collapse in deer camp in the middle of the night when it's pouring down rain and you get knocked out the window by the person sleeping on what suddenly became the upper portion of the platform lol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Just sold my c-class and now going to buy a travel trailer,  you will have a BLAST with the pop up,  and if your into it you will camp every chance you get !
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#14]
RV's are a money losing proposition.
Pop-ups are worse.  It's what we call a Tent-in-a-box

I've been an RV tech for 16 years now. Save your money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
RV's are a money losing proposition.
Pop-ups are worse.  It's what we call a Tent-in-a-box

I've been an RV tech for 16 years now. Save your money.

I've been an editor of two of the largest RV magazines for just about that long...and I must respectfully disagree...

An RV can easily pay for itself in savings over hotel and restaurant expenses, particularly if you (1.) choose your RV wisely (buying a used model can save you a bundle), (2.) choose your campgrounds wisely (avoid "destination resorts"), and (3.) use your RV more than just a couple of weekends a year. I've camped for several months in parts of Arizona and southern California where I didn't pay a penny for campground fees, and spent nothing on gasoline (other than for sight-seeing and making grocery runs). Like many other activities, RVing can be as expensive or affordable as you want to make it.

Aside from the monetary aspects, there are other benefits that no hotel can match at any price - Unbelievable scenery, the ability to bring most of your personal posessions along with you, having home-cooked meals wherever you go, having campground neighbors that tend to spark lifelong friendships, having your own personal SHTF survival shelter parked in your driveway, etc., etc.

It's a wonderful lifestyle. I can't imagine how I'd get along without it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:13:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I disagree as well.  If you purchase a good unit, you will get a lot of use out of it and keep the resale value.  Case in point are the Casita Travel Trailers.  Very high demand, so used units sell for way above NADA pricing.

Besides, RV's are a blast!!

Eric  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

rvnet.com is the ar15 of camping

Been cruising their forums for a couple of days now.  Good source of info, although they aren't uber-tactical.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Picked it up yesterday.  Drove almost 550 miles.

1972 Skamper Deluxe 8
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#19]
i wish they still made this:

vixen. small. 20+mpg, turbo bmw motor....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
yep thats just how i started but the dam thing keeps growing

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:15:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm building an RV (RV6A) that will look something like this when it's done :

Does that count?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:02:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I would like to at least get a trailer once I have a place to park one.  I'd love to have one of those huge diesel pushers or better yet the new RV built on a Volvo 18-wheeler tractor.

I TIVO  RV TV and RV Today every week.  Two of my favorite shows!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:20:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Myself and two other arfcomer's are the IT department for www.escapees.com.

We have a great discussion forum and tons of info on our site.  We also publish a magazine on RVing.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Myself and two other arfcomer's are the IT department for www.escapees.com.

We have a great discussion forum and tons of info on our site.  We also publish a magazine on RVing.

I like RVs so much I'd almost want to be part of the industry.  I would have said RVing has a great future because of all the spoiled baby boomers retiring, but higher gas prices might put a damper on it.

GunLvr
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top