Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 1:13:16 PM EDT
My 1972 50hp Evinrude (insert just buy a new motor coments here)  has no spark on the #2 cylinder.  I'm thinking points/condenser trouble.

It ran fine when first started this year,  but got harder to start until it would not start at all.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#1]
take the wire off of the plug, hold it near a piece of the engine that is metal, and crank it... look for a spark.

If there is a spark off of the wire, then you have a fouled plug.

If there is no spark, swap the wire with another wire, and check again.

If there is a spark now, where there was no spark before, then you have a bad wire.

If there is still no spark, then it is most likely the distro cap. Take the cap off, and take a #2 pencil, and use the eraser to clean off the contacts inside the distro cap.

If you had a problem with the points or condensor, none of the cylinders would fire.

This sounds like a fouled plug to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]
#1 Sparks just fine w/old & new plugs.  #2- no spark on any plug.

Plug wires are hard wired into coils.  this motor has points/condensors for each cylinder.

Motor has no dist. cap
Quoted:
take the wire off of the plug, hold it near a piece of the engine that is metal, and crank it... look for a spark.

If there is a spark off of the wire, then you have a fouled plug.

If there is no spark, swap the wire with another wire, and check again.

If there is a spark now, where there was no spark before, then you have a bad wire.

If there is still no spark, then it is most likely the distro cap. Take the cap off, and take a #2 pencil, and use the eraser to clean off the contacts inside the distro cap.

If you had a problem with the points or condensor, none of the cylinders would fire.

This sounds like a fouled plug to me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top