Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2009 12:13:16 PM EST
My 1972 50hp Evinrude (insert just buy a new motor coments here) has no spark on the #2 cylinder. I'm thinking points/condenser trouble.

It ran fine when first started this year, but got harder to start until it would not start at all.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:17:26 PM EST
take the wire off of the plug, hold it near a piece of the engine that is metal, and crank it... look for a spark.

If there is a spark off of the wire, then you have a fouled plug.

If there is no spark, swap the wire with another wire, and check again.

If there is a spark now, where there was no spark before, then you have a bad wire.

If there is still no spark, then it is most likely the distro cap. Take the cap off, and take a #2 pencil, and use the eraser to clean off the contacts inside the distro cap.

If you had a problem with the points or condensor, none of the cylinders would fire.

This sounds like a fouled plug to me.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:01:31 PM EST
#1 Sparks just fine w/old & new plugs. #2- no spark on any plug.

Plug wires are hard wired into coils. this motor has points/condensors for each cylinder.

Motor has no dist. cap
Originally Posted By hifi_samauri:
take the wire off of the plug, hold it near a piece of the engine that is metal, and crank it... look for a spark.

If there is a spark off of the wire, then you have a fouled plug.

If there is no spark, swap the wire with another wire, and check again.

If there is a spark now, where there was no spark before, then you have a bad wire.

If there is still no spark, then it is most likely the distro cap. Take the cap off, and take a #2 pencil, and use the eraser to clean off the contacts inside the distro cap.

If you had a problem with the points or condensor, none of the cylinders would fire.

This sounds like a fouled plug to me.

Top Top