Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/24/2003 1:49:14 PM EDT
Anybody here like Powerade NHRA Drag Racing??? My Dad used to race top fuel so he got me into it. I'm a HUGE fan of Funny Car (Whit Bazemore, Ron Capps) and Top Fuel (Doug Kalitta, Larry Dixon-of course). I'm not too big on Pro Stock: they look so damn slow compared to the other cars! Pro Modified is a kickass class too, but they never show it on TV. So I ask my fellow NHRA fans.... What is John Force's problem this year? Is Brandon Bernstein's success so far a fluke, and do you think he'll edge out Larry Dixon as the Points Champ this year? Will the Skoal cars ever put up good results consistently?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:01:33 PM EDT
I like drag racing, but have lost interest due to the fact that I nearly went broke bracket racing. I still watch on TV, and go to at least one national event per year. Usually I make it to Englishtown or Reading, Pa. What TF car was your dad involved with?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:51:32 PM EDT
I've been an NHRA member for 34 yrs. Attend the Winternationals and World Finals at Pomona every yr. Had a bracket car back in the 70's. A 200" WB dragster with a 426 Hemi and Torqueflite trans. Stopped running it as all the tracks in So. Cal. closed and it's just to far to drive to race at LA County Raceway in Palmdale. But I still follow the sport very closely. Have no idea why Force is not running well this yr except that his team may be doing a lot of testing and applying the results to Tony and Gary's cars. They are running VERY well this yr. I pick Tony to win the championship this yr.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:25:04 PM EDT
I grew up in long beach calif. "Lions Drag Strip" was my hang out!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:44:51 PM EDT
Is Brandon Bernstein's success so far a fluke, and do you think he'll edge out Larry Dixon as the Points Champ this year?
View Quote
You missed Englishtown I take it. Brandon will not drive again this season due to the broken vertebre in his back from crashing and going over the wall in the first round there. Kenny Bernstine is back behind the wheel to finish the season for Brandon. One of the shortest retirements in sports history.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:27:19 PM EDT
I LOVE drag racing. I like the fast cars (top fuel, funny cars) but I like the door slammers more. I was a crew chief on a Pro Mod car for 9 years. I still go and help different teams if they need it. Bobwrench
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:50:41 PM EDT
never cared for it, But i was friends with a guy in H.S. That started a small video company in michigan. He would tape the meets and sell copies in drag racing mags.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:56:06 PM EDT
Present and accounted for! BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:56:43 PM EDT
But i was friends with a guy in H.S. That started a small video company in michigan. He would tape the meets and sell copies in drag racing mags.
View Quote
If you mean Lance I have met him several times. He even put his camera in our car a couple of times.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:15:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bobwrench:
But i was friends with a guy in H.S. That started a small video company in michigan. He would tape the meets and sell copies in drag racing mags.
View Quote
If you mean Lance I have met him several times. He even put his camera in our car a couple of times.
View Quote
yup lance hassel(sp?) thats him, He never went anywhere without his camera.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:21:31 AM EDT
I like drag racing but don't care for the professional classes. Favorite was always stock and super stock classes. Favorite driver was always Jim Waldo and his big block Fords. As far as places I ran, I never cared for Terminal Island. Favorite was OCIR and original Irwindale. There used to be so many places to run in SoCal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:37:11 AM EDT
yep. been going to the [url=http://www.bandimere.com/events/displayevent_detail.cfm?eventID=140]NHRA Mile-High Nationals[/url] for the past several years at [url=http://www.bandimere.com/]Bandimere Speedway[/url] Highlight of last year was meeting Mr. Force on the way out. Nice guy, real people/fan guy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:07:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By gus: I like drag racing, but have lost interest due to the fact that I nearly went broke bracket racing. I still watch on TV, and go to at least one national event per year. Usually I make it to Englishtown or Reading, Pa. What TF car was your dad involved with?
View Quote
You've probably never heard of it: he was associated with a small oil company out of the southeast called Amalie Oil. He raced the Amalie dragster for two years (1975-77) His career highlight was ALMOST knocking off Don "Big Daddy" Garlits. He was leading 3/4 of the way until he blew up the motor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:10:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:
Is Brandon Bernstein's success so far a fluke, and do you think he'll edge out Larry Dixon as the Points Champ this year?
View Quote
You missed Englishtown I take it. Brandon will not drive again this season due to the broken vertebre in his back from crashing and going over the wall in the first round there. Kenny Bernstine is back behind the wheel to finish the season for Brandon. One of the shortest retirements in sports history.
View Quote
[shock] WOW!! You're right, I did miss Englishtown.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:34:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:27:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 11:29:05 AM EDT by JFP]
Count me in tooo! I've been a huge fan of NHRA (as well as NASCAR) since the late '60's. Started watching John Force in the mid '80's and and feel he did a lot for drag racing. I used to live down the street from Green Valley in N. Richland Hills and I attended the last big event at the "Valley" as well as the first national at the Motorplex. That first year at the Motorplex was great, no chainlink fences, you could stand a lot closer to the track that first year and there was nobody there for the first coupla races. Thats what really killed it for me, it did not take long for the sport to really get commercialized and the races got so over-crowded with fans that at times it just became a crush of people as you attempted to walk through manufacturers midway or stand at the fence. I remember standing behind the staging lanes (before they built the bridge)and watching the top fuel guys run, it was like watching a cartoon the way the cars would just disappear down the track. John Force is getting old so I believe that is why he is slowing down a bit although WJ in pro stock is still tearing it up. I remember that kid that was driving for Rhere Morrisson back in the early eighties got himself killed in a drag racing accident, what a shame.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:40:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Big_Bear: I remember when a top fuel dragster broke the 6 second barrier, and I remember Snake vs. Mongoose. I saw Vanishing Point race The Green Monster one time in FL. That was an exhibition race. That's how long ago it was since I was into drag racing.
View Quote
I remember buying bubble gum packets with Drag racing trading cards in them and the top fuel guys were in the 240's (MPH) I had all the Snake and Mongoose (Don Prudhomme and Tom McEwen) toys. Check out this link: [url]http://www.computermagiconline.com/70sfunnycars/Remember.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:33:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JFP: John Force is getting old so I believe that is why he is slowing down a bit although WJ in pro stock is still tearing it up. I remember that kid that was driving for Rhere Morrisson back in the early eighties got himself killed in a drag racing accident, what a shame.
View Quote
I think it was Lee Shepard that got killed. I can remember watching Snake vs Mongoose as well as Sox & Martin vs Grumpy Jenkins in the late `60's and early `70's at Cecil County Dragway and York US 30. It just ain't the same these days. Most of all, I think it was the influx of the ricer crowd that helped me lose interest on the local level. I'm going to Maple Grove this fall though!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:17:36 PM EDT
Not much into the modern dragsters. I usually just attend vintage races held by The Goodguys at Famoso in Bakersfield or here in Vegas. Front engine TF dragsters and Gasser classes are fun to watch.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:27:20 PM EDT
The NMCA has the PRO MOD class that I think is really great.
Top Top