Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2012 8:44:35 PM EDT
So I think my SIL is starting to turn to the dark side and wanting to learn to shoot.  She is kind of a Hippy but my wife and I took her to the LaRue Range day and she had a good time.  She is also a Sergeant in the Texas National Guard, possibly deploying to Afghanistan soon, and extremely smart. She wanted me to check in with "my ARFCOM friends" to see if there was a good range where she can rent different weapons and do some practice.  I'm getting info on the specifics on what she wants but I think she is looking for more general familiarization with handguns in general and practice with the AR platform. (She is PAO so she doesn't get a lot of weapons training).  

She is worried about going to a place where the staff looks down to a single girl who asks "dumb" questions also some place that will give her good advice and not just tell her to get a .38 revolver or a Taurus Judge.  

Any suggestions on a good place for her?  Women's shooting club?  etc.  

ETA: I cross posted this in the TX hometown forum.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
What part of Houston?

i would love to meet another female who would enjoy hanging out at the range.

I have more than a few handguns she could try, including a revolver in .38 Special but that's because it is a classic
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:54:58 AM EDT
[#2]
She is in S Houston near the medical center.  BTW I don't have anything against .38s I just know that some guys think that is the only choice for a woman shooter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
She is in S Houston near the medical center.  BTW I don't have anything against .38s I just know that some guys think that is the only choice for a woman shooter.

I shoot at PSC, sometimes will go to Best Shot.

If she is interested I could bring prolly around 10 different handguns for her to try out to start...... I would have to count for a specific number but I have a variety of 9mm, .45 and .22lr's.

I had to laugh about the .38 because that is the only revolver I have. It is a 60's era Model 15. Shoots like a dream but way to big for a CCW (for me).

I think Best Shot would be the easiest place to meet for a newbie. But if she just wants to email or IM that is fine. Does she have an account here?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No, she doesn't have an account here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No, she doesn't have an account here.

Ah well.

I just re-read your post.

I have a couple of AR's too.

IM me if she is interested. The AR's would require going to PSC.

If she is more comfortably renting and going on her own, I understand. The Arms Room rents guns and is in League City. http://www.thearmsroomtx.com/

I don't know if I would want to meet a heavily armed strange woman from the internet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 9:35:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I don't know if I would want to meet a heavily armed strange woman from the internet.

I'd meet up with you any day.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top