Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/17/2006 12:38:00 PM EDT
If you are a LEO in WV, heres a question directly to the folks I need the answer from....

I am planning to do some backpacking in the Monongahela NF next month.
My trail gun is a S&W629, which makes all my camping / hiking trips on my side.
On my way down there I plan to have it packed up in the factory case, padlocked, and then have the case in a locked toolbox in the beg of my truck. Obviously the firearm will be unloaded.

For starters, is there any issue with a non-resident having a firearm in my vehicle in this manner?

Next, being national forest, I beleive I am subject to federal law, which states I can possess and shoot on that land within their regulations. That said, from what I have read of WV law, it appears that open carry is legal. Does that apply to non-residents if I am not on NF land? If you are familiar with the area near Seneca rocks, is it rural enough for open carry to be considered a normal thing, or will this cause alarm? I dont really plan to be walking around any town with a sidearm, frankly, I dont expect to see a soul while I am out hiking in the mountains. By the time I am back on the road into civilization my trail gun will be locked back up in its case.

Bottom line, am I breaking any laws...would you guys hassle me given the circumstances?
Thanks for your responses....figured I would ask the folks that deal with this every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top