Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2001 9:26:12 PM EDT
Any Investment bankers here?  Corporate finance Analysts, Associates, VPs, MDs?  Equity research analysts?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
There are several.  Must be shy
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:55:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm a janitor, is that close enough?
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Bond Trader here.

Was AVP of Capital Markets group of a commercial bank in L.A. CA, now mng a trading desk in Dallas

OH BTW on your topic heading you mentioned Investment Banking. Do you have a question on underwriting securities? I've been involved in that on the fixed income side not equities.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Former Nasdaq Market Maker here, small boutique firm in Burbank.   Got out of the industry, I still trade for my own account now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#6]
M&A Banker here.  Deal flow is pretty weak.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Tech Equity Research Analyst
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:36:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bond Trader here.

View Quote

After reading the book 'Liar's Poker' I thought to myself - I have missed my calling!

I am a commercial RE Broker. It's certainly a good time - but nothing like ripping phones outta walls and 5 lb. vats of guacamolie (sp?)  for lunch.

I dunno, maybe it was just the book - after reading the 'The New, New Thing' I thought I had missed my calling again.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 8:59:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Former Nasdaq Market Maker here, small boutique firm in Burbank.   Got out of the industry, I still trade for my own account now.
View Quote

Did you guys widen the spreads close to the end of the day so as not to have inventory overnight. I hate when market makers do that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#10]
No, no questions regarding the fundamentals of the equity market/investing.  Just wanted some advice on my career path.  I would leave my firm in a second to another who would help me realize my career goals.

I am an assistant with a well-known firm with a finance and economics background.  I could not start as an analyst(i-banking analyst, not equity research) because I did not go to school in the east coast.... where the buldge bracket and prominent regional/boutiques recruit.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. if there is anyone with concrete suggestions please email me as I do not check the forums often.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a financial consultant.  I hate my job, I hate my clients.

95% of America should be buying mutual funds not stocks.  You can't believe how wiped out the average guy is getting clobbered in this market, especially the tech groupies.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 4:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am a financial consultant.  I hate my job, I hate my clients.

95% of America should be buying mutual funds not stocks.  You can't believe how wiped out the average guy is getting clobbered in this market, especially the tech groupies.
View Quote

I got out of retail for the same reasons. Bunch of dumbasses that think they can do it themselves. I had about a dozen clients leave and do day trading. A few months later they tried to come back. I told them no way you left and fired me. No turning back. A few tried to call me and tried to get tips. I hung up on them. Try going institutional. There is no loyalty but no headaches. They have an investment policy so they don't deviate from that. You just need to be able to position them within their parameters and get them a better execution than say Goldman Sachs, or other primary dealers. Larger trades 1mil+ NO bitching, no griping, just plain investing.

Joe Blow, look into M&A firms. Very challenging from an analysis point of view. Very lucrative also. Avg M&A bonuses rivaled that of WallStreet traders. We're talking 500k and up. M&A will always be in demand specially with all the consolidation in the market at this time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top