Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:52:38 PM EDT
Haven't seen a thread like this since i was creeping before i got an account
    Anyone join a FRATERNITY in college? Anyone absolutely despise fraternities? To be honest, im tipping some back and nothing to do tonight. Lets hear some stories!
Im not editing theis anymore...
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:54:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I was in a fraternity (the largest and oldest one on our campus), and it really didn't do shit for me in terms of doing better in school, establishing connections, etc.

It was fun but meh. My best friends from college were not in my fraternity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes. Best 4 years of my life.

Hazed but no gay shit.

Drank a lot for two years, quit for two years - didn't affect my standing at all and people respected.

Met a lot of people and learned how to do a lot of things I hadn't before like epoxy a basement.

Still attend functions and donate money.

Got the job I am in today because of an alumn. I started entry level and ironically when he left for another job, they gave his to me.

And yes, we got laid a lot more than the average sucker.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Anyone go Greek in college? Anyone absolutely despise fraternities? To be honest, im tipping some back and nothing to do tonight. Lets hear some stories!

TRG like it when you are willing to Go greek

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 2:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in one and had a great time.

Depends on the frat & the school. Some are great, some suck.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I did. It was a good experience for me coming from a small town to a big school with no connections. I learned a lot about people and made some great friends.
In general, I can understand why some hate Fraternities. However, there are good ones out there too. Its all about the people in them, none are the same.

-kai-
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Still love my Sigma Nu brothers. So yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:01:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
    Anyone go Greek in college? Anyone absolutely despise fraternities? To be honest, im tipping some back and nothing to do tonight. Lets hear some stories!

TRG like it when you are willing to Go greek      

fixed,
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure I have some good ones but I have very little recollection of that period of time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Most suck IMHO. But it has to do with the group of people at a particular school.

One of our chapters is a V4L Christian house, another is extreme sport douches, another is guidos, another is straight up nerds who can't talk, another is the 'asian house'. Our chapter was more normal and well rounded.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a bid but I didn't take it.

I don't hate frats or anything, it just wasn't for me.

I ran in some of those circles though, it was a blast
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ho-ho - we have something in common.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Wayne State College (Lambda Chi chapter)
Colorado State University (Gamma Beta chapter)

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my friends the old fashioned way -- FREE!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:04:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ho-ho - we have something in common.

well im in 1/3 part of the Lexington triad. So if you know your history you can guess pretty quick lol
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sigma Nu as well - Delta Sigma Chapter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:07:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn, the last thread we had on this, I was the only one.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We dont pay for our friends, we pay for this.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a620/CYB29/WEDONTPAYFORFRIENDS_zps33fc77c3.jpg
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Phi Kappa Theta
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Lived Greek for 3 of my years at PSU, Delta Theta Sigma, an Agricultural Fraternity 1986-1990.  Lived with 25 Brothers in the house, which was about 1/2 mile off campus.  We were not "wild" but we had some good, fun parties.  Vast majorty of us were from farms or rural areas.  Some members drank, some didn't.

Great experience, would do it again in a hearbeat.  Sure, pledging sucked, but its was also fun, you learn who you can trust, and who you can't.  Learned that you can do amazing things under stress.  

I was elected assistant Treasurer, then Treasurer.  Vice president for a Semester, and Social chairman my senior year.  I had at my disposal a checking account with over $60,000 in it at times.  Learned about paying taxes, budgeting, hiring a cook, buying food, etc.  I doubt there were less then 100 students on a campus of 35,000 students with that kind of responsibility and experience.  You don't learn that in a dorm or apartment.

Like everything in life, there are choices, some great, some ok, and some bad.  Chose wisely, and you will have the time of your life.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:18:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Frat?  FRAT?  Do you call your country a cunt?

Kappa Delta Phi, Chi chapter.  Best parties ever, and people feared and respected us.  It was great a pure fucking riot.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Joined Kappa Sigma

It was ok.  I got tired of meetings arguing about shirt designs. 10 years later, the FLHTF is debating shirt designs.
It also didn't sit well with me when some guys tried to kick me out during the pledge semester when I was trying to hook up with a girl that none of them could get anywhere with.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#24]
yup Pike,  checking in.
im not even gonna bother reading the responses other than to say what I say to every young person who might be considering joining a Fraternity. I love my Fraternity, I loved everything about greek life. Yes I had to pay dues which included among other things my room in the house, food for all our meals, cooks, booze, rush events, party shit that wasn't booze whatever. If you want ot tell me I bought my friends that's fine I don't take it personally.
Is Greek life for everyone? No, nothing is for everyone, but at least try to keep an open mind and whatever side of the story you may hear, make sure you inquire about whether the person telling you all their wise tales of woe  was actually in a Fraternity or not. I was in a Fraternity and it was great and it continues to be great with help with job oppurtunities and contacts and what not.
How many of the people who im sure are bashing the shit out of Fraternity life, and how you have to do gay shit, and you buy your friends, and eveyone is an asshole was actually in a Fraternity and therefore able to speak to that stuff. I think you can probably take a guess where most of these people are coming from.
there was a Pike a few weeks ago at U of A who put his video online of one of their mixers. My girlfriend was DG at ASU, I majored in Neurology and behavioral Bio at a top 15 school out east, she majored in laying out by the pool all day with 25 other girls wearing essentially nothing and looking hot, which was just fine with me. So If someone who never pledged wants to tell me I had to buy my friends and join a Fraternity, all while I was also getting laid by an ASU co-ed than that's fine ill own that shit no problem.
Finally My two highest semesters gpa were both during my pledge year, my class was also awarded for doing the most amount of philanthropic work of any house on the row our year, something that sat very nice on my CV working in medicine at the time a job i got from a former alum a few years ahead of me, and was something I never would of done with my time otherwise, so that's another bullshit rumor out the window.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

must resist sayiingggg itt...

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigma Whoooo? hah jsut playin we were next door to you guys... lots of good times had by all

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:32:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Honorary Member
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Pi Kappa Phi     University of Alabama
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Best decision I ever made. Made life long friends, still see them regularly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:35:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Theta Chi
Eta Gamma chapter
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:42:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Joined a house in college, and it was a great choice. I still see some of my brothers on a regular basis, even though we are scattered all over the country. We have get togethers that are sponsored by the fraternity, as well as random unofficial events we plan on our own. Had one visit me two weekends ago from out of state, have another one coming in this weekend from out of state, was a groomsman in another ones wedding this last summer, plan on traveling to Michigan to see another this summer.....

Once I graduated college and entered the workforce I joined the freemasons, and will likely become a shriner in the near future.

I have enjoyed my time in all the organizations I have joined, fraternities included. That being said, your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Lambda Chi Alpha, transferred schools a year and a half in and haven't looked back. I found my love for Math by actually focusing on school where I transferred to, so the whole party all the time time doesn't fit anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:45:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pi Kappa Phi     University of Alabama

Pi Kappa Phi, Purdue
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sigma N1u as well - Delta Sigma Chapter.

We're everywhere!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

EM 878 Butler U.  You're not a REAL Sigma Nu unless they pulled your charter while you were there.

I've been told it was the best five years of my life. I'll take their word for it.  Thank heavens we didn't have digital cameras/cellphone cams back then...

Go Bulldogs!

TC
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We dont pay for our friends, we pay for this.

http://i1286.photobucket.com/albums/a620/CYB29/WEDONTPAYFORFRIENDS_zps33fc77c3.jpg

You're hanging out in the wrong places if you hafta pay for that.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing like having 100 sorority girls show up at your door just to pregame before a tailgate. How many randoms fit into your dorm?
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Yup...fun times.  Now trying to run it like a business.

Delta Phi - Tau Chapter, U of Illinois-Urbana/Champaign
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Alpha Tau Omega at UNH.

Pledged in '97
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigma N1u as well - Delta Sigma Chapter.

We're everywhere!

Sigma Nerds

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:57:01 PM EDT
[#41]
If I could go back to my frat house days (late 80's) you would not be able to get me outta there with dynamite!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Tau Kappa Epsilon
Wayne State College (Lambda Chi chapter)
Colorado State University (Gamma Beta chapter)

Old ass Hegemon checking in.

Tau Kappa Epsilon
Sigma Lambda Chapter

"We're Apollo's Raiders, we're Raiders of the night..."

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Alpha Tau Omega at UNH.

Pledged in '97

Now were talking.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Phi Epsilon Kappa

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#45]
In my second year of college and I despise fraternities. Frats are exactly like you see on tv except the parties aren't as awesome. And you can always tell a sorority chick because she will have at least 3 items of clothing/accessories on that will advertise her sorority.

The really hot chicks don't go to the frat parties, they go to the bonfires

ETA: There is a business fraternity at my campus that I thought about joining, but that's the only one. I just don't have the time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn't feel the need to pay to... have...

Nevermind

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
In my second year of college and I despise fraternities. Frats are exactly like you see on tv except the parties aren't as awesome. And you can always tell a sorority chick because she will have at least 3 items of clothing/accessories on that will advertise her sorority.

The really hot chicks don't go to the frat parties, they go to the bonfires

Holy shit, no way!  You mean a sorority girl will wear sorority clothes?

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alpha Tau Omega at UNH.

Pledged in '97

Now were talking.

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#49]
23 people (mostly chicks) in a 10' x 15' room singing "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Screw" at the tops of our lungs...

Buck naked with my 'friend with benefits' on the third floor of the Pi Phi house. She would have gotten perma banned for that one.

Rolling around with some chick in the botanical garden, again, buck nekkid.  Waking up covered in mosquito bites.  Oh well, my quinine level was QUITE high in those days.

Having the pledges police the hill out bahind the house finding a heap of condoms below Evil's window.  Niiiice...

Ah, the memories.

TC
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Phi Delta Theta
GA Gamma- Mercer University
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top