Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 7:21:10 PM EDT
Our dept is looking for folks to head down for 14 days to 2 months.  I was just wondering how many hours you're working down there.

I'm a volunteer, so I'd be taking a leave from my job working on computers, thus the hourly from FEMA would be lower.  I just want to make sure that I'm going to be able to pay the bills.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're thinking you're goin' down there to do the job (unless guaranteed in writing otherwise), think again.

Taken from here

Frustrated Firefighters at Atlanta Hold Waiting to Hand Out FEMA Fliers
Despite Application Statement of Non-Operational Role, Some Firefighters May Have Thought Otherwise

LISA ROSETTA -Reprinted with Permission, The Salt Lake Tribune

ATLANTA -- Not long after some 1,000 firefighters sat down for eight hours of training, the whispering began: "What are we doing here?"

As New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin pleaded on national television for firefighters - his own are exhausted after working around the clock for a week - a battalion of highly trained men and women sat idle Sunday in a muggy Sheraton Hotel conference room in Atlanta.

Many of the firefighters, assembled from Utah and throughout the United States by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, thought they were going to be deployed as emergency workers.

Instead, they have learned they are going to be community-relations officers for FEMA, shuffled throughout the Gulf Coast region to disseminate fliers and a phone number: 1-800-621-FEMA.

On Monday, some firefighters stuck in the staging area at the Sheraton peeled off their FEMA-issued shirts and stuffed them in backpacks, saying they refuse to represent the federal agency.

Federal officials are unapologetic.

"I would go back and ask the firefighter to revisit his commitment to FEMA, to firefighting and to the citizens of this country," said FEMA spokeswoman Mary Hudak.

The firefighters - or at least the fire chiefs who assigned them to come to Atlanta - knew what the assignment would be, Hudak said.

"The initial call to action very specifically says we're looking for two-person fire teams to do community relations," she said. "So if there is a breakdown [in communication], it was likely in their own departments."

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:02:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  Thanks.

I think I'll stick around here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top