Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/16/2009 3:58:08 PM EDT
After reading the Mercedes 500 thread, I'd like some GD input:

I'm thinking about getting a used Viper and would like to know if there are any mechanical issues I should be aware of.  I'm looking at a 2008 convertible with the better engine.  

Any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Member kcobean has one. Maybe you can talk to him about one?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
my dad has had 3.  Love those things, couple of memorable issues I remember though:

1.  lost the very small, cheap, shitty fog light cover off of his GTS coupe while hauling balls one time-  as it turns out those things are really freaking expensive

2.  a lot of tire shops don't have the equipment to handle the rear rims due to how wide they are

3.  tires are absolutely insanely expensive

4.  Up until 2001 they had a nasty habit of having failing door hinges and refusing to do anything about it- the fix was really expensive

Having said all of that, probably the most fun car I have ever driven.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I only wish. But then again, I would stay in trouble with the law.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
A friend of mine had a '99 or '00 Viper.  The headroom is worse than a second generation Miata... I am 6'3".   If I sat normally in the seat of the Viper and my buddy punched it, my head would smack the rear pillar, painfully.  I don't fit well into a second generation Miata, but I fit worse into a '99-ish Viper.  I don't know if they improved upon this in later years.

The center drivertrain hump got really, really hot.  Worse than a Corvette.

In a Viper, every asshole in a Camaro or a Corvette wants to race you...but that's about it.  It's a clear cut advantage over a Corvette.  I used to own a C5 Corvette and EVERY asshole wants to race you, mostly Mustang and 350z owners, ESPECIALLY 350z owners...holy shit do they have a chip on their shoulders, and it is annoying.  I guess the Viper badge scares off the lesser assholes, but those in 350z's were predatory on me in traffic and at stoplights to get me to race them.  Usually, I ignored them.  Occasionally, I would indulge and embarrass them and their foolish money they spent on probably a new intake and certainly a noisy exhaust.  I would shut down the run at 100mph...only to have them soar on by me a few moments later and giving me the finger.

What is it with 350z owners?  I've driven them, and performance wise they are okay, certainly built better than a Corvette...but holy shit...the owners need a bigger dick.

To be honest, all you are buying with a Viper is the engine and its cosmetics.  The Corvette isn't much better, but at least it drives more comfortably....but is still basically a piece of shit which develops rattles and body flex in under 20,000 miles.

All that power is most certainly fun for quite awhile, but eventually it gets boring.  What does not get boring is the handling.   Even when my Corvette was reaching the grand old age of 20,000 miles, it would creak and flex, but the handling was quite good and was always fun through the twisty roads.

Then again, my father's second generation 2002 Miata handled better than my Corvette.  I have driven third generation Miata's and they handle even better, and I fit just fine in them.

If you want the best in fun, from my understanding, take a hard look at a Porsche Boxster.

If ever buy another Fun Car, it will be either a Boxster or a third generation Miata.  Probably a Miata...much more bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A friend of mine had a '99 or '00 Viper.  The headroom is worse than a second generation Miata... I am 6'3".   If I sat normally in the seat of the Viper and my buddy punched it, my head would smack the rear pillar, painfully.  I don't fit well into a second generation Miata, but I fit worse into a '99-ish Viper.  I don't know if they improved upon this in later years.

In a Viper, every asshole in a Camaro or a Corvette wants to race you...but that's about it.  It's a clear cut advantage over a Corvette.  I used to own a C5 Corvette and EVERY asshole wants to race you, mostly Mustang and 350z owners, ESPECIALLY 350z owners...holy shit do they have a chip on their shoulders, and it is annoying.  I guess the Viper badge scares off the lesser assholes, but those in 350z's were predatory on me in traffic and at stoplights to get me to race them.  Usually, I ignored them.  Occasionally, I would indulge and embarrass them and their foolish money they spent on probably a new intake and certainly a noisy exhaust.  I would shut down the run at 100mph...only to have them soar on by me a few moments later and giving me the finger.

What is it with 350z owners?  I've driven them, and performance wise they are okay, certainly built better than a Corvette...but holy shit...the owners need a bigger dick.

To be honest, all you are buying with a Viper is the engine and its cosmetics.  The Corvette isn't much better, but at least it drives more comfortably....but is still basically a piece of shit which develops rattles and body flex in under 20,000 miles.

All that power is most certainly fun for quite awhile, but eventually it gets boring.  What does not get boring is the handling.   Even when my Corvette was reaching the grand old age of 20,000 miles, it would creak and flex, but the handling was quite good and was always fun through the twisty roads.

Then again, my father's second generation 2002 Miata handled better than my Corvette.  I have driven third generation Miata's and they handle even better, and I fit just fine in them.

If you want the best in fun, from my understanding, take a hard look at a Porsche Boxster.

If ever buy another Fun Car, it will be either a Boxster or a third generation Miata.  Probably a Miata...much more bang for the buck.

Honestly??
I REALLY want to call you a FAG but I have NEVER driven a Viper OR a Miata so I can't. I just can't see a Corvette or a Viper ever losing out to a Miata.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I was going to go out and get one, but my girlfriend's Lamborghini wouldn't start.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was going to go out and get one, but my girlfriend's Lamborghini wouldn't start.

Well played.

RF
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't get a Viper if you don't like A LOT of attention!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Honestly??
I REALLY want to call you a FAG but I have NEVER driven a Viper OR a Miata so I can't. I just can't see a Corvette or a Viper ever losing out to a Miata.

Well, remember from my story I have never driven a Viper, just rode in ONE...a '99 or '00.

I bought a '04 Corvette new and owned it for three years.  Yes, it was fun, but it was shaking itself loose a bit before 20,000 miles.  Thankfully, I bought it new at a huge discount.

My father bought a 2002 Miata in 2005 and it was obvious that it handled a lot better than my Corvette.  So much less mass, it handled corners so much better.  It was just a much more rigid platform as well.

Miatas are the best bang for the buck out there.  From what I have heard and read...and I have never even SAT in one...if you want the true sportscar experience, buy a Boxster.  Just be ready for big maitenance bills.

The third generation (NC) Miata is what is on my radar.  It just depends on what the economy does if I ever buy one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I test drove an 05 before I bought my GT-500.  It was awesome, but my size 13 club foot would hit the brake when I pushed in the clutch.  The footwell on those things is really tight.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I drive a turbo Supra and I see a lot of morons on the road trying to challenge me in unsafe conditions. The same thing will happen in a Viper gauranteed. That will be your biggest problem.  Here's a guy that had enough money and knows how to be a moron in both, so my advice would be not to drive it like this.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#14]
"Vietnamese redneck" here, that's what my wife calls me cause I am a mopar v10 lover. It's an 06' SRT10, 510hp, 535ft/lb torque... 6speed

Bought it new, had it almost 3years now, reliable as hell, drove as a daily driver to work except hard rain or snow, & pretty aggressive driving, except got caught surprise in TX ice/sleet  2 years in a row  cause I love driving the car to work in the winter also...

I like the KISS (KeepItSimpleStupid) approach to the Viper, big ass American displacement & raw power, no nanny tech. help like, yaw, traction control, ect... Only your brain & driving skills are at play here...
I love the Z06, & Mustang GT500, but researched & test drove both of them, not as hardcore as the Viper, they had too much nanny technology, and not as reliable...

Vipers are robust, many owner track them weekly, I don't know of any weak points of the 03-current SRT, but you can check out VCA (ViperClubAmerica) to ask all your questions...

If you're looking for an 08' you got 600hp under that hood, I have not heard of any issues...  As for convertible, the sidepipes exhaust heat will make you to wished you bought coupe w/ air cond. blasting

Representin Arfcom - BoltFaceLogo on my ass

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

preach it

when I drive my 911 (which isn't even that fast by 2009 standards) everyone and their brother thinks they have something to prove.

protip to the guy in a G35 today: you drive a hopped-up Altima with a higher grade of leather on the seats.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"Vietnamese redneck" here, that's what my wife calls me cause I am a mopar v10 lover. It's an 06' SRT10, 510hp, 535ft/lb torque... 6speed

Bought it new, had it almost 3years now, reliable as hell, drove as a daily driver to work except hard rain or snow, & pretty aggressive driving, except got caught surprise in TX ice/sleet  2 years in a row  cause I love driving the car to work in the winter also...

I like the KISS (KeepItSimpleStupid) approach to the Viper, big ass American displacement & raw power, no nanny tech. help like, yaw, traction control, ect... Only your brain & driving skills are at play here...
I love the Z06, & Mustang GT500, but researched & test drove both of them, not as hardcore as the Viper, they had too much nanny technology, and not as reliable...

Vipers are robust, many owner track them weekly, I don't know of any weak points of the 03-current SRT, but you can check out VCA (ViperClubAmerica) to ask all your questions...

If you're looking for an 08' you got 600hp under that hood, I have not heard of any issues...  As for convertible, the sidepipes exhaust heat will make you to wished you bought coupe w/ air cond. blasting

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/IMG_6730.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/viperRear.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/ccw1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/IMG_4794.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/ccw6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v43/5906TswBaby/ccw3.jpg

That. Is. BEAUTIFUL!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I just came.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
While the Viper is sexy as hell, I'd personally take a TT Supra with a few mods over one for straight line racing.  

The pics of the Viper above are SWEET.  

-X
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
While the Viper is sexy as hell, I'd personally take a TT Supra with a few mods over one for straight line racing.  

-X

I came from the import scene years ago, Supra Mark-IV w/ large turbos are nice for 1/4mile, etc... but it's still a Supra, and let's not talk about the turbo lag on large turbos, no comparison to large NA displacement... American V8 & V10 have awesome torque off the line, the linear build up of power is just sweet...   I have no hate for good imports, cause me Asian you know...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:50:56 PM EDT
[#20]
i remember one day i was riding around with my ex gf and we pulled up next to one everything was cool till the guy revved it and her pants blew off, most amazing thing i ever saw.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Fuck, man...

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#22]
consider a used C6 Z06. better imo for the money
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-X

I came from the import scene years ago, Supra Mark-IV w/ large turbos are nice for 1/4mile, etc... but it's still a Supra, and let's not talk about the turbo lag on large turbos, no comparison to large NA displacement... American V8 & V10 have awesome torque off the line, the linear build up of power is just sweet...   I have no hate for good imports, cause me Asian you know...

Agreed man, I wasn't trying to downplay the Viper at all.  I'd love to be able to afford one and drive the balls off of it!  I just know that the top end in a Supra with a T66 or T04R is nothing short of amazing and I guess I'm of a different breed.    

-X
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a ZR1 Vette. Viper=harsher ride and that  get's old really fast . Side pipes will COOK you alive and leave you wondering why you smell bacon after 20 minutes of driving!!! Because its YOU cooking!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]
one of the guys at a race track in texas last week drove one to the track that looked like this.

It was purty.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Sir, only the generosity and opportunities of America, and the witnessing of American Christians that allowed a Buddist background, Christian hating S.V.N. war refugee came here at the age of 7 w/ his parents & sibblings, didn't know a lick of English, became a Christian, worked hard, went to college, and work harder, & received the Lord's blessing, and enjoying the fruits of his labor...

This is why I love America, it's my country, not my Vietnam (my motherland/birthplace)... This is one reason why it disgusts me when many hispanics come here, don't want to assimilate, abuse America's generosity, and spits on America by flying the messican flag  !
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
one of the guys at a race track in texas last week drove one to the track that looked like this.

It was purty.
http://www.motorauthority.com/images/Chrysler/Dodge/Viper/SRT10/ACR/Off1/2008_Dodge_Viper_SRT10_ACR_MotorAuthority_008.jpg

Not a fan of asymmetrical paint.

Lose that, and it's a cool car.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#28]
There are a shit load of them in the Conner ave plant. Last time I was there they had a few hundred they could not sell dating back to 2003 my.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Yeah, I'm about to post my Sentra in front of my shitbox house just to one-up the McMansion/PureSex shot here.

Don't make me do it.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
After reading the Mercedes 500 thread, I'd like some GD input:

I'm thinking about getting a used Viper and would like to know if there are any mechanical issues I should be aware of.  I'm looking at a 2008 convertible with the better engine.  

Any help appreciated.

Had a 97 GTS, loved it but I don't think I would purchase another one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:49:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:55:26 PM EDT
[#32]

That's what I'm talking about.  Old school Viper styling.  I fucking love those wheels.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

It was purty.

http://www.motorauthority.com/images/Chrysler/Dodge/Viper/SRT10/ACR/Off1/2008_Dodge_Viper_SRT10_ACR_MotorAuthority_008.jpg

I'd chop my own nuts off for a Hennessey.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It was purty.

I'd chop my own nuts off for a Hennessey.  

Bushy,
Hennessey will chop your nuts, part your Viper parts & sell on ebay, and change company name when class action lawsuit hits...
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I know of a board member and gun mfg owner who has two Vipers. One is moded for racing and he loves them booth.

As for a miata and the Vette.  The Miata is a girls car and is easier to drive but will get its ass whooped bad by a Vette, not to mention that I can not even fit in a miata.  If you know what you are doing, then you can do some really creepy shit with a Vette, but it aint for the faint of heart. The performance envelope is way, way out there if you can handle it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#36]
did you join a viper car forum yet? you will get the best answers there.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#37]
According to Autotrader, used 2008 Vipers seem to be going for $70-$80k around the country. What noteworthy cars can be had in that price range that the OP may not have considered yet?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm not an owner, but I saw these guys screwing around at Zmax Dragway a few weeks ago.

Judging by the way they were driving in the pits, they should have been evicted from the property and never allowed to return.

Nice cars, but owned by a bunch of fuckwads.
http://www.undergroundracing.com/
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#39]
theres 2 local car dealers near me with vipers that they bought back in the 90's

they want 90-100K for them and never take any lower offers, as you can expect they have been sitting in the showroom for over a decade now
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:31:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can vouch for this guys viper, it is freaking sweet.  Almost as nice as the minivan
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
According to Autotrader, used 2008 Vipers seem to be going for $70-$80k around the country. What noteworthy cars can be had in that price range that the OP may not have considered yet?

A Porsche 911 turbo convertible or a Ferrari 355? If you are going to buy a car that is going to rape you in maintains costs, you might as well go big.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:41:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A Porsche 911 turbo convertible or a Ferrari 355? If you are going to buy a car that is going to rape you in maintains costs, you might as well go big.

Or just buy a Z06 or ZR1 Corvette and laugh your ass all the way to the bank (and finish line).
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or just buy a Z06 or ZR1 Corvette and laugh your ass all the way to the bank (and finish line).

Sure he will.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure he will.

Yep, all the way to the finish line and the bank
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:50:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That's some trailer you're living in, Mr Redneck.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Let me guess, the applicant list to get on your fire department is a mile long?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I can vouch for this guys viper, it is freaking sweet.  Almost as nice as the minivan

Have we met, cause  I do have a pimpin Honda Odyssey to haul wife & kids around

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those Ferrari's and Porsche's are indeed in the same price range. I personally like this one and this one
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure he will.

Yep, all the way to the finish line and the bank

Yeah, everyone that buys a super car knows how to drive like a factory test driver.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a 00 GTS, treated me well honestly..no huge issues other than the side sills.  Interior got ridiculously hot, especially in the Summer.

Not a huge fan of the Gen IIIs, but the above car looks nice.

In retrospect, wish I had gotten a different color combo.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top