Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2008 6:41:40 PM EDT
I'm a powerlifter at heart but train at a Crossfit affiliate for two main reasons; equipment and level of training partners. As such, I get sucked into the WODs a couple of times a week. Didn't know how many people we have in hear that toy with some of the CF work. Thought maybe we could update this thread, if there's interest, with CF workouts and times and keep this thing running as a form of a personal record board.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 12:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I just started looking into to it, It seems like a good workout.  I have to have my knee scoped next week but I think when I recover, I'm gonna give it a shot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup....I like to annoy people on this very board with my crossfit ideas

I think there's a thread from last week about this too....
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 4:47:55 AM EDT
[#3]
height=8
Quoted:
Yup....I like to annoy people on this very board with my crossfit ideas hink

Maybe we can keep a post towards the top to compare numbers or discussions on CF.

Yesterday's WOD-

5 rounds for time of:

BW Back Squat x 5
Knees to Elbows x 10
1/2BW Push Press x 5

Time- 3:56

Link Posted: 5/20/2008 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds good, but that wasn't yesterdays WOD (or was that an affiliates?)

This was the main page WOD:

For time:
75 Push-ups
95 pound Sumo-deadlift high-pull, 50 reps
50 Ring Dips
45 pound Weighted Pull-ups, 30 reps
25 Handstand Push-ups

I do the WOD a day behind because I like to know what's coming up, I also had to skip a couple because I have to rest up for a PFT tomorrow....plan on hitting it hard after the PFT though...
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#5]
height=8
Quoted:

I should've clarified. I train at a NC CF affiliate. We don't follow the main site.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 6:08:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I should've clarified. I train at a NC CF affiliate. We don't follow the main site.

Gotcha, I have a basement gym so we do the main page.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#7]
my wife and i went for the first time yesterday to my buddie's gym that he and his wife just opened. we obviously went to the beginner class and did a "chipper." awesome workout! we do body pump and rpm at another gym on a regular basis, but this blew body pump out of the water in intensity. when i got done i was smoked.

iirc: for time

400m run
20 pullups (kips)
20 ring dips
20 tire jumps
20 burpees
20 wall balls
20 situps
400m run

warm-up was jump rope, push-ups, and sit-ups.

next time we do the combat course to qualify for work, i'm gonna suggest we do about half of the chipper before we shoot. should be interesting....
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Haha welcome to pain.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I have incorporated crossfit ideas in what I do.  I am 41 and quite frankly some of the WOD's are beyond me either because I am not comfortable doing some of the exercises or simply because I can not do handstand pushups, etc.  However, I have incorporated the olympic lifts and many other aspects of the training in what I do and the results have been impressive.  I can say that I have gained about 5 pounds of muscle over the past five months which is so far beyond the kind of results that I have obtained from doing anything else that quite simply I am amazed.

What I have taken from it is:

1. It is better to do movements that incorporate the whole body such as squats, cleans, pull ups, etc.

2. Make constant efforts to take yourself out of your comfort zone - in other words lets say you are really good at doing a specific exercise and can move a ton of weight - try focusing on what you are not good at and compel yourself to be better at it.

3. When in doubt do exercises that compel you to control the weight i.e. dumbell presses > barbell presses > machines.  

4. Intensity x10 to the n.th power.

What I find myself doing is a weightlifting routine then next day running then next day crossfit then next day weightlifting and on and on and on.  My goal is lean endurance and overall strength.  I know that I am not going to put on much overall mass with this sort of routine - but it works for me.  I should note that I cycle the intensity of what I am doing as well.  Also I substitute hikes and other outdoor activities for any of those gym type exercises whenever I can.

I am 41 and am very lean at about 180lbs.  

Basically the concepts of crossfit rock and I can't say enough good about the basic philosphy.  Voyage of self improvement in'nit?

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
The biggest thing with Crossfit is that it took principles that have been around for a hundred years and wrapped them up in a nice little package. Utilizing full body movements as a basis for strength and conditioning was made popular by the Eastern Bloc countries. With that said, it all didn't take off up until CF start taking things like the Oly lifts, HIIT and the "caveman" diet and packaging into a easy to follow WOD.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<snip>

Body Pump!  No offense, but hopefully, the further you progress with CrossFit, the sooner you'll realize what a laugh riot Body Pump is.

the mrs. and i both realized that as soon as we got done with the crossfit workout. although body pump did help the wife lose some weight, it didn't seem to do a whole lot for me, other than the class full of hot women.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been doing Crossfit for about twelve months now. Incredible results. I can repeatedly jump on a box waist-high from a flat footed standing start. I can do at least five hand-stand push-ups. My run time and bodyfat has decreased while my overall strength has increased dramatically. I'm 46, former Marine, been working out/bodybuilding all my life.

Funny story. I walked into to gym at Camp Phoenix one Friday (I usually work out at Camp Eggers) and went to the squat rack after warming up. There were three young soldiers on the Smith machine next to the squat rack. They were doing squats with 135 lbs., on the Smith machine, touching butts to a bench. I loaded 135 on a bar on the squat rack, stepped under it, pressed the weight overhead, and did five deep overhead squats. The young soldiers immediately left. God I love Crossfit.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Workout: Metcon

Weight: ~174lbs

5 rounds for time...

10 wall ball shots (20 / 16)
5 rope knees to elbows
10 back extensions
50 jump rope spins
6 one legged squats (3 each leg)
15 push ups
10 high pulls (55 / 35)
50 flutter kicks
100 meter run

Time- 14:50

Comments:

Top time on the board. Very surprised with this. My transitions were spot on. Very little wasted time there. That's the biggest reason for my good time. I'm doing WODs for the next couple of days. I'll be heading to SC to train with Homey this weekend and want to be pretty fresh when I get down there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I am just starting out with CrossFit. My weight loss/strength gain has leveled out using my free weights.  So I thought I would give this a try.

Do I just do the WOD? Should I lift as well? Extra cardio? Todays work out sure got my heart rate up. I realize this is not a lot of info but like I said I am just testing the CrossFit water so to speak.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I am just starting out with CrossFit. My weight loss/strength gain has leveled out using my free weights.  So I thought I would give this a try.

Do I just do the WOD? Should I lift as well? Extra cardio? Todays work out sure got my heart rate up. I realize this is not a lot of info but like I said I am just testing the CrossFit water so to speak.

Thanks

Yup, you don't need any extra cardio UNLESS you want to severely drop time in some kind of race (doing ONLY crossfit my 5K/3 mile time is 20:26)
You don't need any extra weight lifting UNLESS your main goal is to lift hugely impressive numbers. If your main goal is to be able to bench super heavy, you may want to supplement. Crossfit will help with squat and deadlift, unless you were already a monster at those exercises.
My suggestion would to do the WOD + the warmup (check the FAQs) for a couple months. At that point, take stock of where you're at and supplement where needed.

I suck at the rings, so I incorporated some ring work in my warmup.
Link Posted: 5/28/2008 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought I was in ok shape for the shape I am in. (over 40 and a few extra # ) After 3 days of CrossFit I am sore in places I didn't know I had. I really did need to change up my routine. I think this will be a good change.

I had to sub a couple of exercises due to equipment and/or the fact I would probably hurt myself if I tried to do a muscle up.
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Do most of you guys doing CrossFit work out at an affiliate or on your own?  If at an affiliate, what do you pay?  I inquired at a local one and it was $200 for unlimited WODs per month.  Seemed a little steep compared to what I am used to paying at my current gym.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 9:02:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a garage gym myself. Affiliates are expensive, I personally would rather put that money into my own gear and visit an affiliate every once in a while....
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#20]
After a week of Crossfit my upper thighs are so sore I can't squat. Tomorrow is a rest day & I can use it. Should I take a couple of extra days?

Another thing according to my scale I have gained 10# since I started CF. My intake has not changed & my exercise has increased. Could the weight gain be related to the soreness?

I thought I was in "fair" shape I was apparently wrong.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:48:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Take the extra days of rest. The body has to heal at some point.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, listen to your body. If you think you need a day of rest take it. There's a fine line between normal sore and "on the verge of injury sore"
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:02:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
After a week of Crossfit my upper thighs are so sore I can't squat. Tomorrow is a rest day & I can use it. Should I take a couple of extra days?

Another thing according to my scale I have gained 10# since I started CF. My intake has not changed & my exercise has increased. Could the weight gain be related to the soreness?

I thought I was in "fair" shape I was apparently wrong.

Take all the rest you need, then attack again.

Throw away your scale. Two reasons:

1. Muscle weighs more than fat. As you work out and gain lean muscle while losing body fat, your scale weight will give a false impression and perhaps demotivate you. The mirror is all you need. Who cares what your scale weight is if you're at 12% body fat?

2. Your scale is broken. I don't believe it's possible to gain 10 lbs in a week if you have been burning more calories while not increasing calorie intake.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I think I'll take tomorrow off as well. I am feeling better but still stiff and sore just not as much. I can sort of squat down now.

I have noticed that I am not urinating like I was before I started CF. The volume is down. Frequency is the same. Example: When I first get up in the morning it doesnt take as long to empty my bladder and the urge/pressure doesnt feel the same.

Could this (water weight) explain my weight gain? Or am I just nuts?

My water intake has remained steady to what it was.

I do sweat more with CF though. Should I try to increase my water/liquid intake?

I drink about 4-5 liters of water a day.

Thanks for the advise, support and help.

Link Posted: 6/2/2008 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't consider myself a true Crossfitter but I've added a lot of their methodology and few of their workouts to my training.  

I really like the GPP and conditioning aspect of their training.  I also like how  they keep things from getting boring by not repeating the same workouts over and over again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#26]
After resting a few days the soreness has mostly went away. My trips to the bathroom have returned to "normal" and I am down 5#.

I did the 5-5-5-5-5 Back Squat CF work out this evening and then worked out with my kettlebell. The most I could do was 30 standing over head "swings/lifts" at one time. I did 5 sets and a few one arm standing clean & press. Talk about a whole body work out. Swinging 16kg and controlling it both up and down. Sweat was rolling and the heart was pumping. 137 bpm at one point.

Feeling pretty good now I'll seee how it goes tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:04:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Keep it up. It will get better and you'll start to see some positive results very soon.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:16:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I used to be an avid CFer.  It's a fucking awesome program.  In my hayday I could knock out Fran in about 3:30, 40 pullups were no problem, 15 muscleups were a common occurrence.  My run times were never really that good, but that's because I would always sub something else.

When I moved from Co Springs to Denver, my motivation just went somewhere else.  I stopped working out consistently for 3 years.  I'd jump back into things every once in a while and get a month or so of steady workouts then something else would come up and I'd quit.

I'm trying to get back on the horse now.  I'm working my kettlebells a few times a week and I'm seeing results.  I'm starting to harden back up.  Don't really have much fat to lose (Good genetics) and the muscles will come back quick.  20 pullups are fairly tough to get, but I can still do it.

In a few weeks I'll probably start the WODs back up.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top