Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2009 8:42:54 AM EDT
I've been training for the Navy SEAL Fitness Challenge, and I think I need a swim coach.

If you're interested, PM me! I live in Fairfax, VA and swim in the 25 yd. pool at Lifetime Fitness in Centreville.

Also, which stroke is inherently faster: Breaststroke or Sidestroke?
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Of your two is the breststroke - you need to go look at some youtube vids and get some pointers!

Why do you not do the freestyle or crawl? That is the fastest way go go in the water.

of course YMMV

Badredfish

Link Posted: 7/26/2009 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Of your two is the breststroke - you need to go look at some youtube vids and get some pointers!

Why do you not do the freestyle or crawl? That is the fastest way go go in the water.

of course YMMV

Badredfish

In  BUD/s, all the swims are done using side stroke, with fins, which is actually called the underwater recovery stroke. It's used because you can swim very long distances this way at a pretty good speed without splashing around. In the Teams you can swim anyway you want but typically during any type of op you're going to use the "turtle back", which is kicking along on your back (with fins on of course).
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:37:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

of course YMMV

Badredfish

Only two strokes are permitted for the swim portion of the event: Breaststroke or Sidestroke. Hence, my interest in only these two strokes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:38:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Thanks. I've seen that video so many times I've practically memorized it, but I would prefer to have someone watch me swim at least once in person. No one at Lifetime Fitness has the slightest clue what the sidestroke even is!

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#6]
if you get fins recovery stroke is the best if no fins breastroke is were its at.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I swim at Lifetime Fitness as well as the Spring Hill Rec Center, and my swim coach could probably watch you and give you some pointers.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#8]
heh, okay to add on to my last PM and post in the VA Hometown forum, I hopped in the pool today (been a long time, but it was refreshing).

I did a 100 free warmup, and then tried out that double-pull crap like on the video for 50 yds to get a feel for it.

Did the 500 yds with the double-pull sidestroke in 10:15.  I'll admit that a lot of it was me still getting a feel for it, so if I had to repeat it, I would guess 9:45.

I then rested a minute and did the 500 yds with breaststroke in 8:15.

Then I did a few hundred yards free, breast kick, free kick, cause I thought I was done, then I got the idea to try it the old USMC way, which is more like what they call the "sprint sidestroke."  I did the 500 in 9:25.

Sooooo... to sum it up:
double-pull sidestroke: 10:15
breaststroke: 8:15
classic-sidestroke: 9:25

I was the most tired after the breaststroke run, it's a lot easier to lollygag with the sidestrokes.  I was just as rested following the classic-sidestroke as the double pull one, so I don't see any advantages to it, except I'm biased cause I've never practiced it, and therefore I'm not getting the full benefit from it technique wise.

Looking at the next events, you've got pushups, situps, pullups, and a run.

I'd say the breaststroke primarily uses legs, so I'd be more prepared to do pushups immediately following the swim, than if I used a sidestroke.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]
OMG those times are awesome. Breaststroke is fastest then.

From the Don Walsh DVD that you saw at my house and the comparisons you were making between that technique and the classic Marine stroke, it seems that the times would be similar. The only difference appeared to be the distance the leading arm was coming down when meeting the trailing arm.

I just wanted to thank you again for your expert advise yesterday, even after all the crap you had to put up with! I am completely baffled why you don't teach for a living. You could make a killing training guys for screening tests. I've seen some camps charge thousands for just a couple of days of instruction.

Hit me up anytime for a swim or shoot. You saw my stockpiled ammo firsthand, and as I said, it needs to be shot! Just let me know when you're free and I'll take care of the rest.

Have fun in DE this weekend!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top