Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 11:31:22 AM EDT
Update on my truck problem.

First of all, thanks for the help that I got on my previous post.  The collective knowledge about most anything here is really amazing.  I changed out the module in the distributor and spark/fuel returned.  However, I suspect that when it died originally (it stayed idling until I got into a parking lot) I washed out the rings, because once I got it running, I took it into town and back (ran good), then the next day I hooked up a 5X8 enclosed trailer, loaded it up with gear, then 5 miles up the road under heavy load I developed a dead cylinder.  It is number 1 cylinder.  I replaced the spark plug (it was glazed) and cap and rotor which was showing a little carbon tracking and some corrosion on the terminals, and have good spark, but it's dead.  I have not checked it with a compression tester, but I have a good idea what I am going to find.  Rings or valve, I don't really care.

Fuggit, I am going to look for a new vehicle and maybe go with equipment that is more appropriate.  I was thinking along the lines of:
1. A 94 Toyota Celica for an everyday driver, they can be had for around $5000 in the 80-100,000 mile range in my area.  Are these good cars?  I would try to get one with the 2.2L.  For hauling my heavy stuff, I am looking at an '82 Chevy ex-navy box van with a 4 bolt 350 and 18,000 miles that I found pretty cheap ($500) and runs very well.  

My other alternative is
2. Get another Chevy truck, but I would go with the 2500 with 5.7 and automatic, and let me wife drive it to work (local) while I drive her car to work (50 miles one way).  Obviously 92 was a good year for Chevy trucks.  What years should I stay away from, especially in a K2500 ex cab?

I hate to see my truck go though.  227,000 miles, and it's finally dead.  I decided I really don't have the time to screw around doing a motor swap on it.  Goodbye old paint!  I am obviously still considering options, and will decide by the end of the week.

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#1]
ONLY 227,000 MILES?

my 93 chevy g30 diesel might just be broken in by then.[;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top