Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/29/2001 10:15:06 AM EDT
I want to send my registered assault weapon out of state to a gunsmith. I haven't had much luck locating a firearms dealer with a CA Assault Weapon's permit to do the transfer. Anyone know of any in Northern California? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 12:26:34 PM EDT
You may have a hard time. I think this selection is few and far between, simply to annoy the owners of these fine match target rifles that we are fond of. And it's not like they make it easy on the gun owners, by listing them on the state DOJ website. If you were in Southern California, I would suggest Evan's Gunsmithing ([url]www.egsw.com[/url]).
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 2:58:08 PM EDT
IrvineGunNut, Thanks for the info. If I end up having to drive 400 miles to have my rifle tranferred, I going to be pissed! What am I saying, I am already pissed off that I have go through this much BS!
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:11:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 4:42:32 PM EDT
"Transfer" to a gunsmith for repair? I thought if you were going to sell it you have to use a "CA AW Permit" FFL for the transfer. You have to ship it that way for a repair also?
Link Posted: 4/30/2001 5:06:32 PM EDT
Troy is the one up north in Fremont MN Armory? They were one of the few last year with guts to sell stripped AR lowers. Service was a little slow but worth it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 12:35:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/1/2001 5:01:31 PM EDT
I don't get it. Why would you bother to use a dealer or "AW dealer" to send it out of CA? [?] You ship it to the smith and they ship it back to you, no middleman needed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:41:02 AM EDT
Actually a middle man is required in CA to ship AW's. Thanks to Red Davis and his boys our black rifles have to be handled (shipped) through AW dealers. No acceptions. You can have it worked on if you remain in the presance of the rife without paper trails, however. Has anyone been to M&N lately? I have not seen them open and I am a Fremont resident.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 8:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2001 8:12:18 PM EDT by 240z]
I believe that Ron at Canyon Sports in Martinez is an AW dealer. Canyon Sports 887-F Howe Road, Martinez, CA 94553 925-229-GUNS (4867) http://www.canyon-sports.com Tell Ron that I sent you in from AR-15.com(there are 3 Ron's that work there, so ask for Ron Kennedy, the owner). Good people there. Ray
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:29:38 AM EDT
Thanks for all the the information. I have now found several dealers with Assault Weapon permits. Unfortunately, these are the types of responses I'm getting: "If you aren't selling the gun,you don't have to ship through us. Just send it yourself." "I've never heard of this requirement." "We can do it for you, but I need to check if once your gun goes on our books, if you can get it transferred back to you." Bear in mind, all I want to do is send my REGISTERED rifle to a gunsmith out of state. None of the dealers I spoken with have any idea what I'm talking about. Now I'm getting really confused. I read 12290. I get the sense that I can't contract directly with a gunsmith. The gunsmithing services have to be through the assault weapon dealer. Of course, DOJ's website is about as clear as mud. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regagunfaqs.html Can I take a registered assault weapon to a gunsmith for repairs? Yes.  However, you cannot leave it with the gunsmith unless he or she holds a California Assault Weapons permit.  Otherwise, you must remain with the firearm while it is being repaired.  If the assault weapon must be shipped to the manufacturer for repairs, a firearms dealer with an assault weapons permit must handle the shipping. Does the dealer have to contract with the manufacturer for repairs? Is a Type 07 FFL a "manufacturer" for this purpose. I am convinced that an Assault Weapon dealer must handle the shipping. Do I have to have him contract with my gunsmith as well? Driven to tears....
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 8:29:27 AM EDT
Any supposed AW dealer should know better, and will likely be conservative. Ask for their license number, and/or paperwork. The dealer must ship for you, must track that it was taken in for shipping, etc. The DOJ website, and regs are quite clear about this. Additionally, what is not clear, but is presumed due to the requirements on the website, only a licensed AW dealer or his -DOJ approved- employees may take in the rifle. They should also check -your- paperwork, as they can lose their license to take in an AW that has no paperwork. Any gunsmith can do repairs while you wait, but only a licensed AW dealer may take the gun in for repairs if you are not going to wait. If you take your gun to a local non-AW dealer, do not step out to lunch, don't run errands, get gas, whatever... STAY with the gun. Also, I gotta ask, what are you doing to the gun that you can't get done locally? Seriously, what do you trust someone in another state far away to do to your $1500 rifle (price based on value at the end of 2000 in the PRK), that you can't trust your local guys to do?
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 11:28:58 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cedric, quoting DOJ FAQ: Can I take a registered assault weapon to a gunsmith for repairs? Yes.  However, you cannot leave it with the gunsmith unless he or she holds a California Assault Weapons permit.  Otherwise, you must remain with the firearm while it is being repaired.  If the assault weapon must be shipped to the manufacturer for repairs, a firearms dealer with an assault weapons permit must handle the shipping.
View Quote
But you aren't taking it to a gunsmith in California, you are shipping it out of state.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 3:16:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/3/2001 3:18:02 PM EDT by Atencio]
any shipping has to go through an assault weapon dealer regardless of reason. Only other alternative would be to drive it out of state.
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 5:58:10 PM EDT
IrvineGunNut, Thanks for the info. My purpose of sending one of my rifles out of state to a gunsmith actually has nothing to do with my AR-15's. I was posting for general legal information. I have a Saiga 7.62x39 Hunting Rifle. It was one of the rifles required to be registered as a series Assault Rifle. It currently has none of the classic Federal "evil" features (folding stock, bayonet mount, threaded barrel/flash suppressor, grenade launcher, or pistol grip). It also has none of the California BS 23 features (folding stock, threaded barrel/flash suppressor, grenade laucher, pistol grip, thumbhole stock, or forward pistol grip). The sole reason it was listed as a California assault weapon was it was built on an AK receiver. This is in spite of the fact the receiver was modified by the manufacturer so it could not accept standard/high capacity AK magazines. The receiver will only accept 5 round magazines made by the manufacturer. Since the rifle is now registered and regulated as an assault weapon by the State, I intend to install a pistol grip on it. To do this I have to comply with USC Title 18 Part I Chapter 44 Section 922 (r). In other words, I can change the configuration of the rifle so as long as the rifle contains no more than 10 foreign parts. The regulations that define "parts" and this provision are in 27 CFR part 178 section 178.39. If I comply with this provision, I can add parts (pistol grip) to the rifle that would otherwise ban it from importation. Of course, I also have to comply with the Federal Assault Weapon law; I can only have detachable magazine and one "evil" feature. I will be left with a semiautomatic rifle with a detachable magazine and a pistol grip. Why do I want to send the rifle out of state? The addition of the pistol grip requires that the fire control parts be moved forward. A prescribed number of parts have to be replaced with US made parts. From what I have read, this can be a pain to do yourself. I would rather send it to a professional and get the job done right than make a mistake myself. After researching various AK boards, I found a Type 07 FFL who is highly recommended. He lives out of state. I didn't find anyone locally who was recommended or had the qualifications. Of course, this raises the philosophical question of why shouldn't I be able to send my lawfully registered rifle to any place in the US I want as long as no State or Federal laws are broken. I have spent a lot of time researching this and believe everything to be legal. If anyone believes me to be mistaken, I welcome your opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 8:55:12 AM EDT
Wohoo!!! If it's registered, we might as well make it look like it should be registered! hahahaha... I basically have the same issue with a mini-14, which has the flash-hider on it, so I added a folding stock with pistol grip (pre-ban gun), and registered it to avoid any confusion. So when I go to the range, I take both Mini-14s (the evil one, and the "approved" one), place them side by side, point out the evil things on it, and then show people that they use the same ammo, fire just as fast, and function identically. Tends to wake people up fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 5/4/2001 4:09:46 PM EDT
cedric - contact larry wolff at law enforcement sales, he has an aw permit and can answer your questions. he's also a good guy to deal with and is in burbank. 888-675-7647 steve
Top Top