Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 6:27:19 AM EDT
I was one of the last Air Force people to work on the B-47E.  A few RBs & WB's lingered on, but our Wing shut down in 1965-6.  Lots of memories.  "A million loose 10/32 screws flying in close formation."   John
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Not, me, but my dad.

He was an AC in the 310th BW at Shilling.

He flew the E, it was his favorite plane.

He still goes to reunions every couple years.

Check out

http://www.b-47.com/
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I was at Lincoln, Nebraska, and I believe we got some of the Shilling birds when they phased out ahead of us. I was in the 98th Bomb Wing.  Our sister wing was the 307th.  John
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My father was a navigator/bombadier at McDill AFB, FL in the 50s and at Torrejon AFB, Spain 60-63.  They were beautiful aircraft.  

There is an Army arsenal near where I live and about 15 years ago, I was in one of the hunting areas (try that today!) when I came through a treeline and was amazed to see a B-47 in front of me.  The wings were detached and sitting on the ground but aligned with the fuselage as they would have been.  It was in amazingly good condition.  I entered the hatch into the cockpit and sat where the nav/bombardier's seat had been.  Some of the fittings for the radar scope was still there. There was an identiplate there with the A/C S/N on it, CV-V-818 and Part No., 5-29630-14.  I don't recall the tail no.  I have since learned it and many of the other aircraft there (F-84s, F-89s etc.) have since been scraped.  They used them for training.

There were two squadrons at Torrejon. During the Cuban Missile Crisis when I went on base and passed the flightline, I would see their tails above the security fence.  Every time I passed & saw them still sitting there, I felt everything was alright.  There were a reassuring sight.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The Lincoln B47s would fly TDY missions to Torrejon & Rota.  One the aircraft was named "El Toro de Moron."  John
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
When I was in Jr. High, about 1965, I was riding my bike down a street, after dark and one flew by really low. Must of been on some low level training mission. It was quite a sight! I was crazy about planes then and could identify anything on sight and they were a favorite of mine.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 6:16:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall a time when one of them came back after a gunnery traing flight - twin 20MM guns in the tail.  Well, the magazine was supposed to be empty, but it wasn't, and something happened electrically, and they began to go off by themselves. They wiped out a truck and a small shed, I believe.  The guy responsible was busted on the spot.  Anothertime, a LOX cart blew up. What a blast! When those planes took off with water alcohol assist, the sky turned black.  Once, on Armed Forces Day, an RAF Vulcan visited Lincoln.  A very pretty airplane.
John
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:02:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi
My dad worked on loran and radar in the 47s..
Dont recall seeing one at Offutt though.
And yes, the Vulcan is a neat plane, they had one at the open house at Offutt in the early nineties, as I recall. Cool stuff, that.
Last year, I think, they had a B17 and a slew of other WWII planes, my fav the mustang among them. Thats the best show so far.
Seeing the toys brought by the SF people is way cool too, check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top