Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/24/2006 4:36:12 AM EDT
I plugged in a diagnostic code reader & recieved the P1519 code

1999 BMW 540,manual transmission

Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Over the course of an hour or two since my check engine light came on, the engine ran progressively worse and is now accompanied by a nasty whining from the passenger side valve cover. Should a new cam position sensor fix this or is the problem worse than just replacing a sensor? Is there an easy way to test the sensor on a bench?

Any ideas? Thanks!

Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:51:17 AM EDT
I have never worked on an 8 cyl motor/M62 motor but P1519 aka BMW code 103 - Control VANOS, end-postition fault, inlet camshaft. The 8 cyl is a chain driven cam with a piston driven tensioner for the cam. When that tensioner starts to fail (usually after 50k miles) there is too much slack and the VANOS (variable camshaft system) will be read out of spec by the cam position sensor. The noise you hear should be similar to an initial whine then a noise like a can of marbles shaking when the rpms drop after revving. Usually the sensor is not the item at fault. Usually by replacing the cam chain tensioner (it is about $30 and swaps out like a spark plug) and then resetting the check engine light the problem is gone.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:56:04 AM EDT
::german engineering in da house!!!::
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:05:20 AM EDT
I tried looking up some part numbers. Now I am uncertain if the M62 8cyl uses the same time of automatic oil-driven tensioner as the S52 6 cyl (my expertise). I would highly recommend buying this Bentley manual:

www.bentleypublishers.com/gallery.htm?code=B502&galleryId=1403

as it should contain a very thorough explaination/diagrams/procedures listings for you
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:13:08 AM EDT
have you checked with bimmer.org?

go there and sign up. It is THE spot in the web for BMW's

You have the e-39 model.

Might look for a fellow named Jim Cash.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:26:44 PM EDT
Thanks everybody, I will follow up on your suggestions & hopefully get the car running like it is supposed to be.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:24:59 PM EDT
My brother got a copy of www.bentleypublishers.com/gallery.htm?code=B502&galleryId=1403 manuals. It didnt have info on changing out the tensioner, Just adjustment settings from what he told me.

Any other ideas or leads?
Top Top