Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2017 2:49:40 AM EDT
I got a new Ibanez Jem JR on scratch and dent sale for  $399 from AMS.
Not a scratch or dent on it that I can see. Pretty good lookin axe. I always
wanted a JEM but didnt want to pay $1500 or more for a full model.

I got it in and while it looks very good it's got some issues that
I am sure a good guitar tech could fix. Problem is its there
is not a local tech that wont take but six years to screw it
up even more. I was hoping we had and in house(Arfcom)
guy I could send it to to help it out.

Make no mistake. I am a self taught, bedroom player.I learn parts
of songs I like intros, riffs, some solos. Just a hardcore screech
monkey. But I know good guitars from crap ones. My Jackson
SLQ blows the Ibanez away. But I wanna fix the Ibanex up a
little to help it out.

I would like to pay a knowledgeable guitar tech to lower the
action and install some new pickups that I would supply. and
set the action to play one half step flat without any fret buzz.

Is anyone able to take this on?
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
How are your soldering skills?  What tools do you have?  What kind of bridge is on the guitar? You'd be surprised that it probably wouldn't be that difficult to set up the guitar yourself.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How are your soldering skills?  What tools do you have?  What kind of bridge is on the guitar? You'd be surprised that it probably wouldn't be that difficult to set up the guitar yourself.
View Quote

Soldering skills are zero. Bridge is a Floyd liscenced floating tremolo. Way outta my league. Thats why I
would be willing to ship both ways and pay a competent person to fix this baby up
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
There's tons of how to videos on YouTube on the subjects you mentioned. Soldering, how to setup a Floyd, adjust the truss rod, ect. It's really not any more difficult than fixing a bicycle.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Watch this guy and fix it yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOXNPo7CtnzzZ9A4GyQ6Tog
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in your shoes two years ago. One soldering iron and a few youtube vids later, and I'm gutting and replacing electronics and trem on my third guitar. I've also been able to fix a few of my daughter's electronic toys she manages to break from the inside out.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]
IM sent
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#7]
No tech needed as this is common owner DIY stuff you really should learn.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips and links for how to vids, but
I have no intention of wrenching on this thing
myself. Build an AR yes anyday. but making
fine adjustments and setting the intonation
are way out of my lane. Hence my search
for someone with real knowledge of how
to do the setup correctly and for me to pay
them for their service.

Besides I have a bad case of chronic
long term Lyme Disease, and DDG
in my back. I dont handle stress very
well and my back seizes up very quickly  in severe
pain if do anything that puts stress on
it, When I play guitar I do it in my recliner
to keep pressure off my back and have
to rest my hands every few mins from
carpal tunnel in them. Thats why I have
my own playing style of just playing
small parts and bits of songs I like.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:28:49 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not as complicated as it looks. I had a "professional" set up one of my guitars back in the 80's, never, ever again.Had to redo it the proper way and this was long before the internets and the youtubes. My suggestion is to unfloat the Floyd. Intonation is easy if you have a tuner.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I would do it OP.  But you would have to ship it to KY.

I've set up many guitars.  I even do fret level crown and polish etc.  My brother loves to horse trade guitars on CL and they always end up at my place to get fixed.  I've turned more then a few fuckings he's gotten around into I nice axe.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips and links for how to vids, but
I have no intention of wrenching on this thing
myself. Build an AR yes anyday. but making
fine adjustments and setting the intonation
are way out of my lane. Hence my search
for someone with real knowledge of how
to do the setup correctly and for me to pay
them for their service.

Besides I have a bad case of chronic
long term Lyme Disease, and DDG
in my back. I dont handle stress very
well and my back seizes up very quickly  in severe
pain if do anything that puts stress on
it, When I play guitar I do it in my recliner
to keep pressure off my back and have
to rest my hands every few mins from
carpal tunnel in them. Thats why I have
my own playing style of just playing
small parts and bits of songs I like.
View Quote

You may find you like monkeying around with guitar tech. It's possible to do without much physical stress on your back. If you're capable of assembling an AR from parts, you have the intellectual and physical capacity to learn basic guitar tech.

I have a long way to go and need to learn fretwork next. I've set my own electric guitars up since disassembling my very first Floyd Rose-equipped Kramer USA back in the early 1990s. There was a steep learning curve without the internet we have today. I started with one book that was not very detailed about repair.

These are two good resources:

https://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-3rd/dp/0879309210?tag=vglnk-c102-20

http://ibanezrules.com

With lots of trial and error, I self-taught muddled through this craigslist Ibanez rebuild project. It was/is my learning mule, has a few finish warts from the learning process,  and will be my fret learning project this summer. My one regret is not taking "before" pictures. These are all after finish stripping and in the process of fixing cracks.  You can see how I learned about scorching basswood with a Harbor Freight heat gun to remove the polyurethane finish.

Next will be getting up the nerve to resurrect this thing. It looks pretty in pictures, but I did a very, very bad job putting it together from parts as a 19 year old. It's disassembled at the moment. The project is going to involve removing cracked chunks of the koa body, patching botched trem anchor sites, filling splintered maple on the back of the neck, replacing the nut, trying to salvage some frets I ignorantly hit with a shop file way back when, and a host of other fixes.

Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I have several Ibanez guitars and have been playing them since 1987

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/ 

just follow the step-by-step for setup and you will be golden.

To lower your action you may want to shim the neck pocket a bit (a bit of business card is good for this.  You wouldn't think that would make much of a difference but it does. )

Soldering pickups isn't too terrible a task. There are tons of videos on how to do it on youtube. 
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I actually need to pull the neck shim from that silverburst. The action is low, but it's fretting out just past the heel.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Im a super NOOB and can set intonation. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I got a new Ibanez Jem JR on scratch and dent sale for  $399 from AMS.
Not a scratch or dent on it that I can see. Pretty good lookin axe. I always
wanted a JEM but didnt want to pay $1500 or more for a full model.

I got it in and while it looks very good it's got some issues that
I am sure a good guitar tech could fix. Problem is its there
is not a local tech that wont take but six years to screw it
up even more. I was hoping we had and in house(Arfcom)
guy I could send it to to help it out.

Make no mistake. I am a self taught, bedroom player.I learn parts
of songs I like intros, riffs, some solos. Just a hardcore screech
monkey. But I know good guitars from crap ones. My Jackson
SLQ blows the Ibanez away. But I wanna fix the Ibanex up a
little to help it out.

I would like to pay a knowledgeable guitar tech to lower the
action and install some new pickups that I would supply. and
set the action to play one half step flat without any fret buzz.

Is anyone able to take this on?
View Quote
replacing the pick up is relatively easy, but you aren't happy with the one you have?
Lowering the action isn't easy to do for a newbie. But, you can do what I do. Make all adjustments very small. Big changes equals big problems.
Lowering the action involves more than just lowering the bridge saddles, particularly on a guitar with a floyd rose-style tremolo.
If you want to make a minor adjustment,
1. Loosen all the strings.
2. Turn the allen key screw clockwise 1/4 turn. Do this for all six bridge saddles.
3. Tighten all the strings and tune it.
4. Play the twelfth fret on each string. If it is low, then you need to adjust the bridge saddle back (push back away from the neck). If it is high, then you need to adjust the bridge saddle forward (push towards the neck). 
5. If any string was out of tune, loosen all strings. loosen allen bolts holding the saddles to the bridge. Slide forward 1mm. Do not adjust if a string was not out of tune at the 12 th fret.
6. Tight all the strings and tune it. Play the twelfth string on each string. 
7. If all the strings are in tune but the bridge is not parallel with the body, you can loosen or tighten the tremolo springs. Remove screws on the back of the tremolo panel cover. There should be three springs held to the body with a Phillips head screw. Tighten clockwise if the back of the bridge is tilting forward towards the neck or loosen counter-clockwise if the bridge is pulling back down into the body. 

Repeat 1 through 7.  If you keep on doing it and you get fret buzz, back out the depth change. Floyd-rose bridges are a pain in the butt. I have fixed my Jackson so I have low-action without fret buzz, but the bridge is dipping back about 0.5 mm. I stopped playing around with the tremolo springs. Adjusting it back and forth was driving me nuts.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Where at in Arkansas?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top