Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 10:12:18 PM EDT
I've had a life changing event that will keep me out of the military for at least two years and most likely for the rest of my life.

I've looked at a few different career paths and someone suggested to me that I look into being an air traffic controller.

I've dug a little, but I'm a little confused on the requirements-is a college degree a prerequisite?  Some say yes, others say no.  I have a year left, but now that I'm not getting any help from Uncle Sam, I'm working FT to pay for college and it's going to take a while to finish...

Anyways, any info would be appreciated, even if it's someone you know of who went to ATC school.

Do they like it?
How long did it take them to get hired?
What are the prerequisites?
etc

I already have heard that it is a high stress job that pays well, but that's about all I know other than the inherently obvious details.

Thanks again for taking the time to read/answer
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I would start here:  www.faa.gov/jobs/job_opportunities/airtraffic_controllers/

If you haven't already, that is.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
My best friend's dad was an air traffic controller for a while. I don't know a whole lot, but FWIW, be prepared for wierd hours, stressful (and relatively boring) work, and big paychecks. I remember there being a pretty big shortage of them a few years ago, so they were paying big bucks to entice more people to go into that line of work. Don't know if that's still the situation today.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Ihave know idea what is keeping you out of the military, but ATC guys are required to maintain a 2nd Class FAA medical cert.  This is the same medical that commercial pilots are required to have.  

Just a thought.

Good luck with what ever you deceide to do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I am being denied a commission into the army because I was diagnosed with testicular cancer on the 15th of December, 2005.  I have since been treated; two operations, no chemo and no radiation.  I am under surveillance now, but it is unlikely that it will come back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top