Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/17/2009 7:26:31 AM EST
How do you like them? I had an 03 Tacoma and loved it and (as I undersand it) these are built on the same platform. Are the V8s worth looking at? I don't want anything underpowered that can't get out of its own way, but I'm not towing much either so I don't know if it's a "needed" upgrade like it is in some other vehicles. I'm guessing that it can't be that important since they seem to have dropped the V8 this year?? Just looking for general feedback for them from people who have driven them really.
Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:27:28 AM EST
Got old school 1st generation. Ran fine for 374k miles until the engine went out....

Got new engine and now its back in action.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:12 AM EST
"03 Limited (4.7L V8) owner here. Best vehicle I've ever owned, changed timing belt, water pump, all fluids, and plugs at 90K to keep her going strong. Stock tires went 75,000 miles. Fast, sure footed, has never failed me or given me problems. I will buy another in two years when my alimony is over.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:39:28 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 7:40:37 AM EST by StealthyBlagga]
I have an '08 V6, and I like it a lot. Ride is very comfortable and smooth, and it handles very well. Tons of space in the trunk. Power is adequate for me, but I don't tow. Gas mileage is unexpectedly good... I get 22MPG all day no matter how /where I drive it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:43:05 AM EST
I had a 94 it was my first car and ran great i still kinna miss it been thinking about getting another one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:45:03 AM EST
'08 4WD SR5 w/ V6. The V6 has PLENTY of power unless you want to tow near capacity (5K lbs. IIRC). It has plenty of room, is very well built (100% Japanese), and gets good gas mileage - for a large-ish SUV. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one. Check out the '09 SR5 Trail Runner version if you're in the market for a new one. It has a locking rear diff.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:07:21 AM EST
V6 is fine. great vehicles. don't care for the oversized styling of the newer models.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:16:37 AM EST
'99 SR5 3.4 owner here... 3rd Gens are some of the best vehicles ever produced. I get 21mpg on the highway at 70. The weakest point is the audio. Mine crapped out in 5 years and I replaced it with aftermarket. Another thing to watch on Gen3s is the automatic antenna. It should be replaced every 3-4 years. Sooner if you use it a lot, later if it's not driven much. It's easy to replace an unbroken antenna, just unscrew the top nut, and turn the radio on. It will pop out. Installation is the reverse. However, if it breaks, you will have to remove the motor and dig out the broken pieces. I'm not sure if Gen4s have this same setup.

The Gen4s are nice but are substantially larger. Depending on your point of vew, this could be good or bad. The only complaint I heard was some of the first few years of the Gen4s having cats go bad and giving their owners the full rotten egg experience.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:18:18 AM EST
ME!!

Mines at 200k miles and running strong.

98 SR5
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:20:45 AM EST
Ours are running very good!! One of my sisters has the red one. Very reliable vehicle with the 3.4 liter engine.

Mine, well..........it took a lot of work and grief, but ever since I got it where it needed to be, it's been great with the 4 banger.

vmax84

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:22:03 AM EST
1st gen FTW!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:26:22 AM EST
I've got a 2004 Sport. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned. If you don't tow then get the V6.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:29:50 AM EST
I bought a 2000 4Runner Limited over 2 years ago. It had 93,000 on it, and I'm up to about 119,000 miles now. All I've done is oil changes, air filter/pcv valve, fuel filter (once). 3.4L v-6. Awesome vehicle! I'll drive it for as long as it will let me!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:40:35 AM EST
Excellent thanks guys! Glad to hear the V6 will work for my needs. I'd much rather have the V6 but I've driven some mid-sized SUVs that couldn't get out of their own way so I thought it would be a good idea to ask. Guess it's time to go and take a few for a ride and see what I can find in the area!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:48:35 AM EST
Bought an '98 in May with 87K miles on it. Replaced a '96 Suburban (out of necessity, not by choice ). The things I dislike about it are that it's not as big as the Suburban, didn't have the Vortec 350 mine did (only a weanie V6), and wasn't as comfortable on long drives. On the otherhand, it is actually more off-road capable because of it's smaller size, easier to maneuver in parking lots, and holds its value well. Finally got around to getting another Suburban and gave DH the 4runner. If I were in the market for another vehicle, I'd definitely consider one again. But I would definitely make sure it was the V8 engine.

DH was telling me that at some point Toyota stopped applying the anti-corrosive stuff on their frames and the vehicles were having some massive problems with rust and deterioration. Apparently Toyota's been really good about honoring warranties/replacing frames/something. I dont' know which model(s) or model year(s) are affected, but it's the only real issue I would have with them. And it's just something to be aware of. I don't think you'd regret it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:51:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 10:55:20 AM EST by sslocal]
The larger Tacomas and the 4Runners do not have the same chassy. Looks like they do but they don't. They also ride a lot different.

I have owned two 4Runners, an 87 and a 02. Both were really nice units and I would love to own another should finances permit in the funture.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:12:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By 41magluva:
I bought a 2000 4Runner Limited over 2 years ago. It had 93,000 on it, and I'm up to about 119,000 miles now. All I've done is oil changes, air filter/pcv valve, fuel filter (once). 3.4L v-6. Awesome vehicle! I'll drive it for as long as it will let me!

Change your Antenna ASAP!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:18 AM EST
I had a '93 that lasted 250k+ with very little maintenance other than oil changes, brakes, tires and new altenator every 90k. I really liked it because it was a great size but it did lack some in the power department. It got to the point were I was going to have to put a little money into it to keep it going for another 50k or more miles so I traded it in on an '03 with the V8. Horsepower of the V8 and V6 are the same if I remember right but the V8 has more torque. The sport and limited models have larger wheels and brakes on them so if you are planning on a lot of towing then look for one of those. My '03 V8 is the base model with dealer installed leather seats which os great with little kids.

It is much bigger on the inside than my previous model but sometimes I missed the older one for sentimental reasons. I have almost 100k on it now and get a calculated 17.8 mpg. That is with approximately 300 miles of highway commuting to work and 50 city driving per tank. I would definitely say that it is not lacking in power. I can load it down with a 4500 pound boat on a trailer and still comfortably merge into highway traffic.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:20:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By PRDUBI:
Got old school 1st generation. Ran fine for 374k miles until the engine went out....

Got new engine and now its back in action.

I had an '85, which is the best 4runner ever built. I T-boned(at 45 MPH) a guy who ran a stop sign and the truck was able to be driven home.

The original 4runner were great rigs, the new ones? I have no idea. The seem a bit high priced.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:22:26 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 11:24:08 AM EST by Thirdparty]
Originally Posted By tileguy1:
"03 Limited (4.7L V8) owner here. Best vehicle I've ever owned, changed timing belt, water pump, all fluids, and plugs at 90K to keep her going strong. Stock tires went 75,000 miles. Fast, sure footed, has never failed me or given me problems. I will buy another in two years when my alimony is over.

Put me in the same boat, '03, V8 Limited 4WD. Spent a week above 10k ft. in CO all on rocks and it handled it all effortlessly on stock tires. I tow a bunch and the V8 really helps, but I hear the V6 is quite good. Do your routine maintenance and it will last forever. Of course, there will be small issues here and there, but after 120k miles, no problems here.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:25:09 AM EST
Have had an '85, '90 and now an '02. Absolutely love them. Definitely some of the best vehicles ever built. Keep up with the routine maintenance and they really go forever.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:30:50 AM EST
07 V6 got it over a Tacoma and love it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:37:04 AM EST
HAVE A 97 LIMITED. the two most expensive repairs were the knock sensors and fixing the cracked leather, has 200k+ miles and runs great, my parents and my brother own 2008, and 2009.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:38:14 AM EST
My brother has a 06' that is a limited addition. It handles well, rides well, has good gas mileage (21mpg) but other than that... nothing else is too exciting. It doesn't have many bells and whistles on it so maybe that is why it seems boring.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:40:13 AM EST
I've got an 02 with less than 75K on it. Runs like a charm. You take care of it (routine maintenance, oil changes, etc) and it should take care of you for a long time to come.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:48:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bowman1:
I've got an 02 with less than 75K on it. Runs like a charm. You take care of it (routine maintenance, oil changes, etc) and it should take care of you for a long time to come.

Change your Antenna!

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:48:23 AM EST
Originally Posted By aheiser:
Have had an '85, '90 and now an '02. Absolutely love them. Definitely some of the best vehicles ever built. Keep up with the routine maintenance and they really go forever.

Change your Antenna!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:48:35 AM EST
Originally Posted By Thirdparty:
Originally Posted By tileguy1:

Put me in the same boat, '03, V8 Limited 4WD. Spent a week above 10k ft. in CO all on rocks and it handled it all effortlessly on stock tires. I tow a bunch and the V8 really helps, but I hear the V6 is quite good. Do your routine maintenance and it will last forever. Of course, there will be small issues here and there, but after 120k miles, no problems here.

Change your Antenna!
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:25:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 12:59:55 PM EST by portagee]
Drift Punch, dude you are cracking me up. Unfortunately our 98 has the disfunctional antenna so I wish I had seen this post earlier. By the time I finish with the repair I may be a true antenna replacement advocate too! Hopefully the FSM addresses this issue well.

We have had two 4 Runners.
First was a 97 4cyl 5 speed that got good mileage and was a great multi purpose vehicle with no problems to really speak of and we sold it with right at 200,000 on the odometer to a friend who has been driving it daily since we sold it to him 3 years ago. Sold it cause it didn't really have the power to pull our boat and gear uphills at speeds plus no one wanted to drive in the snow with me cause I used the 2WD as an excuse to do brodies.
Second one is a 98 V6 4X4 Automatic that has plenty of power, tows our 2500 lb boat well, and. It has right at 130,000 miles so it is just getting broke in and other than the antenna has no problems I am aware of. It also does pretty darn well offroad and goes most places my 93 Land Cruiser with locking diffs can get to.
My 16 yr old has claimed it and when the next one in line needs a car it will most likely be another 3rd Gen 4 Runner we will be buying.
I lustfully hunger for a new V8 all wheel drive 4Runner as they are quite fun to tear around in and when we get more kids out of the house will be buying one and not the A5 Audi the she devil wants.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:32:44 PM EST
06' SR5 V6, love it. Just drove from CT for FL, got 22, 23 mpg the entire ride. That with my wife and son, 2 dogs, a Thule filled up and the rear trunk filled to the top with clothes, dog crates, coolers etc.

I would not hesitate to buy another 4Runner, I have been thinking about a V8 Limited or Sport edition though.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:51:33 PM EST
I'm in the market for a new car and the 4Runner is on my "list" (along with the Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, Toyota Highlander, and Subaru Outback). Haven't been able to take a good look at one yet though since it appears that the local dealerships are pretty much out of 2009 models and the 2010s aren't out yet.

There haven't really been too many details or decent pics of the 2010 model yet has there?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:11:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 1:13:38 PM EST by DriftPunch]
Originally Posted By portagee:
Drift Punch, dude you are cracking me up. Unfortunately our 98 has the disfunctional antenna so I wish I had seen this post earlier. By the time I finish with the repair I may be a true antenna replacement advocate too! Hopefully the FSM addresses this issue well.

We have had two 4 Runners.
First was a 97 4cyl 5 speed that got good mileage and was a great multi purpose vehicle with no problems to really speak of and we sold it with right at 200,000 on the odometer to a friend who has been driving it daily since we sold it to him 3 years ago. Sold it cause it didn't really have the power to pull our boat and gear uphills at speeds plus no one wanted to drive in the snow with me cause I used the 2WD as an excuse to do brodies.
Second one is a 98 V6 4X4 Automatic that has plenty of power, tows our 2500 lb boat well, and. It has right at 130,000 miles so it is just getting broke in and other than the antenna has no problems I am aware of. It also does pretty darn well offroad and goes most places my 93 Land Cruiser with locking diffs can get to.
My 16 yr old has claimed it and when the next one in line needs a car it will most likely be another 3rd Gen 4 Runner we will be buying.

To get to the antenna motor, you have to remove the inner fender (enough of it for access). Once that's gone, you have to remove the antenna assembly. Once out, you have to open up the coil area and dig out the broken pieces. It's probably a good idea to get some body work fasteners because you will probably lose/break some.

It's not terribly difficult, but it is dirty and will get you some bloody knuckles. A several hour job for the amateur, as you'll say to yourself, maybe I can get the assembly out with this much inner fender removed...nope...how about now...nope...now...nope, etc...

All this can be avoided by getting the replacement part and simply replacing the old antenna before it breaks. Mine probably broke early, but it's a fairly common problem. Waste a Saturday afternoon and some skin on this project and you'll also begin the antenna rotation. Come to think of it, I need to get to work on #4...
Top Top