Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2018 3:45:43 PM EDT
I have an old Lumix micro 4/3 GF1 I need to upgrade. Body is old tech and worthless, but I'll keep the lens. Daughter is a pro and is heavily invested in Canon gear, but I was looking at this rig for something for my advanced hobby still photos, band videos and festival/street shooting, as well as bringing along on hunting and hiking trips. Seems to hit all the features I need, and I always got great images with the Leica glass. This would come with a Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 zoom lens. Two features I must have are decent low-light video and external microphone input. Anything else I should be looking at?
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 12:28:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Guess that's a no.

OK, Canon 5D Mk IV it is...
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a Lumix ZS50 and pocket camera with a huge zoom lens. I used it so much that it wore out, Panasonic has a contract warranty repair in the US, and they wouldn't repair it even though it still had another year left of their 3-year warranty. So no more Panasonic cams for me, I will just stick to Nikon & Canon DSLR.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#3]
What lens did you have on your GH?

I use an Olympus OM-D EM-5mkII and totally fucking dig it... although it's 3 years old now. They need to update it soon.

I hear the Panasonic cameras are great for video.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 6:43:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a GH4 and love it. I wish I had time to do more than take snapshots with it I need to get back into the serious stuff.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 8:52:13 PM EDT
[#5]
For low light video the Sony A7SII is king. Thats why so many wedding shooters love them.

I have a 5Dmkiii I use for stills and a GH4 I use for video. The GH4/5 are amazing video cameras for what they cost. Neither is anything like a pro full frame dslr when it comes to stills though. They do take good stills but the tiny sensor does make a difference for stills in my opinion.

If video was my priority and I can control the light a GH5 would be my pick. If low light is key then Sony A7SII. If stills are more important then 5DMkIV. Canon nerfs the video settings on their dslr line to push people towards their cinema line. Sony and Panasonic are light years better video cameras than the 5dMkIV.

The one video feature the Canon has over both is the dual pixel autofocus is really great. If you just need 24/30fps 4k and max 60fps 1080 then the Canon would be ok. The GH5 and Sony both have much better video specs though.

I have the Olympus 12-40 2.8 and 40-150 2.8 for my GH4 and they are fantastic lenses for the money. If you go m43 the 12-40 2.8 is highly recommended. With the GH5 IBIS it would be even better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For low light video the Sony A7SII is king. Thats why so many wedding shooters love them.

I have a 5Dmkiii I use for stills and a GH4 I use for video. The GH4/5 are amazing video cameras for what they cost. Neither is anything like a pro full frame dslr when it comes to stills though. They do take good stills but the tiny sensor does make a difference for stills in my opinion.

If video was my priority and I can control the light a GH5 would be my pick. If low light is key then Sony A7SII. If stills are more important then 5DMkIV. Canon nerfs the video settings on their dslr line to push people towards their cinema line. Sony and Panasonic are light years better video cameras than the 5dMkIV.

The one video feature the Canon has over both is the dual pixel autofocus is really great. If you just need 24/30fps 4k and max 60fps 1080 then the Canon would be ok. The GH5 and Sony both have much better video specs though.

I have the Olympus 12-40 2.8 and 40-150 2.8 for my GH4 and they are fantastic lenses for the money. If you go m43 the 12-40 2.8 is highly recommended. With the GH5 IBIS it would be even better.
View Quote
Love my Oly 12-40 f/2.8. Excellent piece of glass. It's a lens I'll keep forever.

The cheaper Olympus 40-150 f/4.5-5.6 feels cheap as F***, but it's actually surprisingly good glass! It's a steal for $100.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Think I'm gonna mull it over a while yet while I shoot what I have for now. Its a street fight between Olympus, Panasonic, and Sony in the m43 arena, that's for sure. They all have their pros and cons. Borrowed a new G9 to try out a day or two...

ETA: bought the G9 with the Pan-Leica 12-60mm. It also runs the old 20mm pancake from my GH1. Couple shots just testing it out:

Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
The GH5 is a solid camera...this coming from a Canon guy.

But, if you want to get a Mark IV, dooooooeeeeeet!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top