Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:40:10 AM EDT
I inherited this thing a few years ago when my great uncle died, I thought it was just too neat to haul away to the dump.

It's a Magnavox shortwave/AM/FM with a built in record player, He purchased it sometime around 1950.
It's huge, a walnut colored wood cabinet about the size of a 4-drawer dresser. The phonograph works, though I don't have any LP's to test it with. The radio lights up and plays static, so it's probably just the lack of an antenna. Damn thing has tubes the size of my fist and gets really hot when plugged in.

I was thinking that maybe I could stick it on a antique website and gain some ammo money out of it plus gain more space to expand the reloading bench. (It's in the gun room now, the wife does not want it seen. It does not match the couch)

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:48:18 AM EDT
run it up on E-bay and see what kind of reaction you get. Some of them can be worth several hundred dollars if still in working order.

I missed one at a garage sale last spring. I didn't want to pay what he was asking for it and was going back the next day when things were half price. He sold it before I got back. The guy who bought it sold it for $250 after a bit of cleanup.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:21:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 10:22:35 AM EDT by Skibane]
Selling it on ebay means that someone is going to have to pay the shipping charges (and someone is going to have to box it up well enough to survive shipment). Perhaps you could find a local antique shop that would be willing to sell it for you on consignment instead.

Naturally, it'll be worth a lot more if you can demonstrate that it is in operating condition - If it didn't come with a built-in loop antenna, attaching a short piece of wire to the antenna terminal should be sufficient for bringing in local stations on the AM broadcast band.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:23:55 PM EDT
The ones with the record player are not as valuable as the ones without. That is not to say a collector may what one to fill in his collection.
I own several old radios and the collectors are as bad as we are about M1Garrands.
Try antiqueradio.com or Google and use the make and model number. You will be suprised at how fanatic these guys are, guys will drive across country to get "that radio"
BTW my best is from a B-17 and I could buy a New M1A1 for what it is worth but I won't sell.
Maybe someday they will get it up to the FA M-16 range.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:32:01 PM EDT
You may try to google it. If it's a collectable, someone may have a website up on it.

Did this with a victrola I received the same way.

Website I found had a ton of info.

TXL
Top Top