Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 4:36:01 PM EDT
This belonged to my great grandfather...just got it back from the refinisher...

Any idea of the age/value?

I don't plan on selling it and I will probably give it to my daughter when she gets old enough...as I am too big for it...

The bed is solid walnut...and the refinisher was going nuts over it...he did not fix any of the cracks/chips as he said it would take away from the value...

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Somone at least tell me it has a cool 19th century look to it....

This was great grandad's bed at his farmhouse in Indianna...

It was sitting in the attics of various family members for 50 years, then the refinishing dude had it for ten

The last time I saw it before today was 15 years ago in my parents attic. The fininsh was almost black from age.

I think the guy did a nice job...

I have to make wooden slats for it..it does not take a box spring I am told, just a mattress that I am probably going to have to special order...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've seen by going to over a 1000 antique auctions, I would wager $900 -$1500.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
It should great with furniture that I have... Mostl 18th and 19th century styles... I wait for hand me down pieces, go to yard sales, etc...

I wish it was big enough for me and the wife...but it will make a very nice bed for my little girl who arrives in 3 months... will have to wait a few years though...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
He should have told you that refinishing an antique kills the value. You screwed up bro.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:08:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
He should have told you that refinishing an antique kills the value. You screwed up bro.

Yep. I knew a guy that had two identical chest from the early 18 century. He had one refinished and the other he left alone.

Refinished he sold for $5000
Unrefinished with half the veneer gone $44,000.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This thing was UNUSABLE in the condition it was in...
It was cracked, scratched, and so on...

The guy who refinished it specializes in antiques... Actually, you could say that he restored it.

Besides, I don't care about the value as much as I do the history behind it...it is a good, solid piece of furniture...Great Grandpop would probably have wanted it to be restored...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:12:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Notice the High headboard? its designed sleeping in a somewhat sitting position.  Did your ancestor have TB or other Upper Respitory problems?  Beds like this are why so many folks believe that folks were shorter "Back then"

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. I knew a guy that had two identical chest from the early 18 century. He had one refinished and the other he left alone.

Refinished he sold for $5000
Unrefinished with half the veneer gone $44,000.

So some guy bought a chest that he could not use...

Whats done is done...besides, the parents did this as a birthday present...I did not have a say in the matter
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Even with the imperfections, it would be worth considerably more with its original black patina.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Notice the High headboard? its designed sleeping in a somewhat sitting position.  Did your ancestor have TB or other Upper Respitory problems?  Beds like this are why so many folks believe that folks were shorter "Back then"

Are you serious?

My mother told me the old "folks were shorter back then"...

It is barely big enough for me... but not for me to fit comfortably laying down...
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#11]
No BS, I used be a professional museum interpreter inbetween .mil and .gov

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Even with the imperfections, it would be worth considerably more with its original black patina.

Even so..

It was in unusable condition before..it was a real mess...

I can't sell it as it is a family heirloom.... that bed is part of my family history

Now at least it is usable..it will not be sitting, rotting away in storage for another 60 years.. and another generation will get some use out of it

I can stick it in a bedroom...I think someone in the family has pictures of the farmhouse and posibly of great (great just learned) grandpop... Would be great to put those on the wall next to the bed.

My mother has the matching miror and chest of drawers that go with it too...

So you see, the value is priceless to me....

Even though I was curious as to what it would go for as the antique refinishing guy was slobbering over it...

All that and I absolutely hate modern furniture...Basically garbage as soon as it is taken out of the box..

Who's kid would restores a torn up particle board bed
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:48:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks... I will have to ask around my family and find out about this...

So folks back then were around the same height as folks these days?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:52:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Was your great-grandfather a Mason?  The design on the headboard looks like the designs I've seen in Masonic lodges.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks... I will have to ask around my family and find out about this...

So folks back then were around the same height as folks these days?

Yep, pretty much so.  There have been some pretty good studies done on the height and weight of both Rev War and ACW soldiers.  5'8" to 5'10" is pretty much average.  You had the occaisional person above 6 foot.  Now in the last 20 years you get these 7 foot giants comming out of everywere, but they are not the average, just as fat gringos are not the average weight of the world population.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Was your great-grandfather a Mason?  The design on the headboard looks like the designs I've seen in Masonic lodges.

I don't know... I know their is a history of masonry in my family though...

I will ask my great uncle...he is probably the only one who may know..
My grandfather (the only other surving relative who may know this) died last year
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top