Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/8/2004 3:33:44 AM EST
Study: Georgia Weak on Enforcing Federal Gun Laws
ATLANTA (AP) Georgia is among states where those who break federal gun laws are not as likely to be prosecuted, according to a study by the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation.
The state ranked 31st when it comes to charging those who break gun laws, the foundation said.

According to the Washington-based group, Georgia is among states where prosecutors do little to keep guns away from criminals. The problem is made worse by weak state laws.

Prosecutions were strongest in the District of Columbia and weakest in Utah, the foundation said. ``The problem is, federal prosecutors focus on only two of the 22 major gun statutes: felons found with guns and the use of a firearm during a violent or drug felony,'' said Casey Anderson, executive director of the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation.

``They address the gun crime NOT PEOPLE DOING WRONG BUT THE GUNS!! WHOOP WHOOP!!! SEND OUT THE MILLION MOM ENFORCEMENT BRIGADE!! problem only after the fact after a felon has obtained a gun, or after a gun has been used to commit another serious offense,'' Anderson said.

Other crimes such as selling guns illegally, lying on background check applications and gun trafficking often are not prosecuted, the group found.

Between January 2000 and May 2003, more than half of Georgia's 2,962 licensed gun dealers violated federal gun laws, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. But according to the foundation's report, only two dealers were prosecuted during that period. I'm Calling TOTAL Bullshit on this one. Invented Number or the violations were stupid little laws that they got cited but not PERSECUTED for. Note they don't tell you what laws were "violated"

While permits are not required to buy handguns in Georgia, a criminal background check is required. Out of 27,799 people who allegedly lied on background check applications during the three-year period, only 103 were prosecuted, the foundation found. ALLEGEDLY lied, and were FOUND INNNOCENT??????? Maybe, just MAYBE??? I could ALLEGE that 100,000 people lied, but it would not make if FUCKING TRUE!!!

The study also found that 33,500 firearms were reported stolen in Georgia during the period, but only 17 cases were brought by federal agents. The group said 14,300 of the guns were recovered. Ummm, isn't firearm theft just like any other theft, LOCAL jurisdictions handle it?????? WTF??

The study also faulted state laws in Georgia.

In Georgia, there are no limits on the number of guns that can be bought at one time, the study found. In Virginia, on the other hand, a law limits gun purchases to one a month per person.

Also, Georgia law does not require dealers and manufacturers to give police sample bullets fired from guns they have sold or made. Providing such bullets, which have ``ballistic fingerprints,'' would make it easier for authorities to identify guns used in crimes, the foundation said.

The foundation also said that since a permit is not needed to buy a gun in Georgia, the state has no record of who owns guns.

But the U.S. Justice Department said the study was ``politically motivated.'' DUH!!!!

``The Justice Department made the aggressive prosecution of those who violate (gun laws) a top priority,'' spokesman John Nowacki said. ``A 68 percent increase in federal firearms prosecutions between 2000 and 2003 demonstrates that we have been taking criminals who use guns off the streets.''

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 3:55:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By phatmax:

In Georgia, there are no limits on the number of guns that can be bought at one time, the study found. In Virginia, on the other hand, a law limits gun purchases to one a month per person.

(Copyright 2004 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

RAISE THE FLAG, DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER!!!

I bought my AR and my 700 on the same day at the same time. This law only applies to handguns.

Purchases of Multiple Handguns in Virginia

The 1993 Virginia General Assembly amended and reenacted §18.2-308.2:2, Code of Virginia, making it unlawful for any person who is not a licensed firearms dealer to purchase more than 1 handgun within any 30-day period. The Virginia State Police is responsible for accepting and processing the Multiple Handgun Purchase Application and Multiple Handgun Purchase Certificate, when purchases in excess of one handgun within a 30-day period can be justified.

There are however many exceptions to this rule. My favorite is below.

6. When in possession of a valid Virginia permit to carry a concealed handgun.

Here is a link to the information, just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass. Click this Earl
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:36:25 AM EST
Headline: "Georgia Weak on Enforcing Federal Gun Laws"

Am I the only one who sees a blatant problem with this headline? Since when does a state enforce any Federal laws?
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:48:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 5:50:46 AM EST by badeffect10]

Georgia Weak on Enforcing Federal Gun Laws

And lets keep it that way!!

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:38:45 AM EST
Good. This isn't fucking California.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:42:02 AM EST

Originally Posted By joker581:
Good. This isn't fucking California.

A BiG +1
Top Top