Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/19/2002 7:30:28 AM EDT
I [i]may[/i] have a fantastic job opportunity in Chicago within the next few months. I know enough not to live in Chicago proper, but was wondering about surrounding areas. Naperville was mentioned as a nice place to live, with a reasonable commute to Chicago by train. Coming from Texas, I'm not sure what to expect, outside of winter like I would never believe. Tell me about Illinois. Thanks, Bud
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:35:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:39:24 AM EDT
If you own a handgun, or a AR15, yes, do not move into Chicago. You will be a crimial in a second. Some do move to the boarder of WI, or Indiana and commute. ' If you moved to napervillie, the Pit, a outdoor range is about 1 hr from you by car.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:54:55 AM EDT
Bud, since we're friends, and you know I respect you, I have to ask this.................[b]Are you out of your damn mind????????[/b] Thanks. [:D]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:57:18 AM EDT
You can travel with a gun in the car only if it is locked in the trunk or in a locked case. There is no CCW in IL.Carrying a gun in the car in reach is a felony whether its loaded or not.There are very few public ranges, but a lot of affordable private ones. We have some of the largest deer in N. America and a shit load of them too. However there is very little public hunting land. Deer huntin is by shotgun ,bow or blackpwder only. No hipower rifles allowed. The five counties around Chicago are Bow only for deer hunting. We also have a shitload of Geese and ducks and duck hunting is good if you can get access somewhere. After you've lived here for awhile winters are something you endure, not look forward to. Welcome and good luck.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:18:22 AM EDT
Everyone else has said it already... No CCW No Class-III No Supressors Your best bet is to come to the BRC ([i]and bring Josh[/i]), to have an opportunity to evaluate the rest of the state!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:41:12 AM EDT
Tax-wise, you are farther ahead not living in WI, but the Loop is accessible by train. From the posts on here, it sounds like there are some ranges in southern WI, near Kenosha/Racine. The Chicago area has lots of nice suburbs, but live as far from the city as you reasonably can. Housing will probably be much more expensive than you are used to, especially if you to the northern & NW suburbs. Most of the municipalities require a vehicle sticker, like a license plate, just another tax. The downside to NW IN is that you are never far from Gary. I've never hunted IN, but I was thinking about moving there a few years ago & it seemed like hunting is scarce, at least in northern IN. Everybody in Chicago goes to WI for the weekend. It's almost mandatory that you buy a place in central or northern WI. Some of 'em think that they are really getting out in the weeds by going up to Lake Geneva. The public hunting in WI is fair. Archery & gun backtags are mandatory for deer hunting in WI. WI has just discovered CWD in their deer herd near Madison so that will impact the hunt. You might hear some grumbling about "those IL slobs" because all of the littering is blamed on them, rightly or wrongly. At any rate, the IL license plate is welcomed by the tourist trade, like in WI Dells. The winters in NW IL are actually pretty mild. Watch Tom Skilling on WGN on cable to get a feel for the weather. Other than the obvious big city problems, Chicago has a lot to recommend it. Go for it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:46:53 AM EDT
I live in Naperville. It's a nice little town, a little uppity, but they all are. Lots of good looking women running round hald dressed this time of year.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:48:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/19/2002 8:58:29 AM EDT by AR_BLACK]
Bud, don't do it. I've lived in Illinios most of my life, too tied down to move out. If you move to Illinois, you need a FOID card to possess/buy firearms or ammo: [url]http://www.isp.state.il.us/foidinfo.html [/url] How to transport firearms in illinois: (BRM308, check these out, you have some incorrect info). FOID card holders can have a firearm anywhere in their car, as long as it is unloaded and in a case. Loaded magazines are OK as long as they are not in the gun. [url]http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf[/url] [url]http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/form0000.pdf[/url] And, some of the southern counties have a "handgun" deer hunting season, usually 3 days in January. No rifles allowed for deer hunting, only shotgun slugs, permits by county. Archery season for deer is 3-months long and state wide permit required. Southern Illinois also has the Shawnee National Forest, along with a lot of state land. Good for hunting (public access), bad for the tax base down here. Harding and Pope counties are over 50% government land, and they are also two of the poorest counties in the state. If now-governor George Ryan gets his way and closes the state prison in Johnson county, about 300 families will be jobless. There are not many jobs near there either. Other web sites for Illinois that are good: [url]http://www.illinois-shooter.org/[/url] [url]http://www.isra.org/[/url] [url]http://www.isra-pvf.com/[/url] Unfortunately, our next governor will either be Rod Blagovech (gun-banner) or Jim Ryan (gun-hater). Story on Ryan here: [url]http://www.gunssavelife.com/[/url] Blackie (in southermost Illinois - way south of Springfield - FYI Illinois does extend south of sprinfield for you chicagoians)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:53:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DonR: Bud, since we're friends, and you know I respect you, I have to ask this.................[b]Are you out of your damn mind????????[/b] Thanks. [:D]
View Quote
The jury's still out, my friend. [:)] I'm at a point in my career where I have three choices for promotion: 1. New York [%|] 2. San Francisco [:X*] 3. Chicago [>:/] With three children, one of which will be graduating in a year, I would really prefer [b]not[/b] to move. I'm just looking at the above three options right now, and Chicago seems to be the most attractive of the three, even though it is uncomfortably close to Tim. [:D] I may end up doing nothing, and staying in Texas. Not a bad thing! I owe you a phone call. Are you going to be around this weekend? Bud
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:56:18 AM EDT
We should be. Do you still have the number?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:58:10 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bud: I'm just looking at the above three options right now, and [blue]Chicago seems to be the most attractive of the three, even though it is uncomfortably close to Tim.[/blue] [:D]
View Quote
OUCH! [B)]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:35:42 AM EDT
Thanks for the responses and information, guys. Only playing, Tim. You are still my (and Josh's) favorite psycho yankee machinegunner. Bud
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:17:08 PM EDT
Wherever you decide to move, remember that you will have to check the CITY'S laws to find out what they prohibit. There is no statewide preemption in Illinois. Any city can ban any guns, ammo, or paraphernalia that they want to. And many do.
Top Top