Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2001 11:10:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 11:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
And still the FBI insists that these incidents are not terrorist related. I don't get it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Jesus, I hope they find the carrier or mode of transmission soon.  Then at least we can lower our risk of exposure.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Did someone mention cocaine? Hmmm, media people, cocaine, nah, couldn't be.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jesus, I hope they find the carrier or mode of transmission soon.  Then at least we can lower our risk of exposure.
View Quote

According to Fox News it was white powder in a envelope again.  And the same thing has turned up at the New York Times. But it wasnt a "media person" it was a poor minimum wage mailroom clerk who now has cutainious antrax- which is normally the most common form.

One thing is for sure, SOMEONE is targeting the news media specifically.  But if it was binLaden, why is he attacking the news organizations that are on the farthest LEFT in America?  The most willing to be apologetic to Arabs and Muslims?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard some talk radio people lately talking about a possible/probable reason to infect the news media. These are the only people that can get physically close to government officials. For example, during news briefings, to possibly spread infections from there. Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#6]
You have to be exposed to the pathogen itself. Once infected you can't transmit anthrax to others.

Sherm
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Does anyone besides me hope this is the best they can do with their dreaded anthrax?

In both cases it seems the vetctor appears to have been the US mail, and in both cases it only infected a person that actually touched the mail.  Further, only one got more than a rash/flu like symptoms, unfortunately that one was fatal.

Given that it can't be spread by the infectee, it seems unlikely to be effective as a weapon of mass destruction.  I can hardly see Osama sending out a mass mailing to spread the agent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does anyone besides me hope this is the best they can do with their dreaded anthrax?

In both cases it seems the vetctor appears to have been the US mail, and in both cases it only infected a person that actually touched the mail.  Further, only one got more than a rash/flu like symptoms, unfortunately that one was fatal.

Given that it can't be spread by the infectee, it seems unlikely to be effective as a weapon of mass destruction.  I can hardly see Osama sending out a mass mailing to spread the agent.
View Quote

Right, this is targeted directly at the News Media, not at the general public.

Perhaps we should be looking at domestic rather than foreign terrorists?  Lord knows that there are lots of people who think the news media in this country are leftist and anti-American.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
There's a good article on anthrax, its propogation, and treatment at [url]http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v281n18/ffull/jst80027.html[/url]

The most deadly form is aerosolized anthrax, but that's also the most difficult to get right. The Soviets had a major release that killed about 150 people; these deaths were apparently mostly caused by the initial release, rather than later infections.

I suspect they're mailing infected letters to the media, which get opened by mail room flunkies. I wouldn't be surprised if there have been several attempts, and only a few infections--the rest probably didn't cause any infections.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 1:10:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Fox News just broadcast that the envelope that infected the mailroom clerk at NBC was addressed to [b]Tom Brokaw[/b]!

Gee, that kind of narrows the field of suspects not doesnt it [;D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top