Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 1:53:23 PM EDT
This happened while I was still a reserve officer. I had gotten off work at my real job, it was between 10:30 and 11:00 p.m. I had a police radio in my POV. As soon as I would start for home I would turn on the radio to see what was going on. Nothing much from what I could tell. The drive from the city where I worked to the small town where I lived and was an officer was about 10 minutes or so.

I would often ride by and check in with who was on duty. Sometimes I would ride around for a while with the officer on duty before heading to the house. I called the officer on duty with my radio to see what was up. He already had a rider so no big deal, I'm going home.

I let the radio go back to scan mode. An officer from the city I had just left called in a car stop on the west side of town. Which was where the a lot of drug trafficing takes place. I cointinued to drive towards the house.

Then the officer who called in the car stop (but did not call in the tag) came back on and called out a 10-100 (high speed chase), he stated that when he pulled up on the car it appeared he interrupeted a drug deal.  Everyone was heading towards his area to back him up including the squad from my town.

I pulled over to side of the road to continue listening to the chase on the radio. The chase officer called in a vague description of the vehicle. An older blue mustang II. They were heading west out of town. I got to thinking that the direction they were heading the next town was 10 miles away but there were several roads which converge into one road and circle back towards my town. Also there were was guy in my town who had a car very similar and was druggy.

I made my way over to the main intersection on that particular side road. Pretty much just a cross roads type area. While I was heading over I could hear that they had lost the guy during the chase. I had nothing better to do so I sat and waited at the cross roads.

I fired up a cigarette and waited. Listening to the other guys talk about where they were and the roads they were patroling. I had just about finished my smoke, cranked my SUV back up and was about to head home. I saw some headlights heading my way from the direction of the city. I waited.

The car came right up to the intersection, turned and head east towards my town. It was an older blue mustang II. I pulled out and caught up with the mustang. Called in the tag, my location and that I was behind the mustang. The radio lit up with traffic. The tag came back to the very person I thought it would be (he lived about mile from my house).

I was not going to pursue but I was calling in our locations for the marked units. We came to the main highway. He crossed over and punched it. There was no way I could keep up with him. The marked units were heading my way but would be at least 5-10 minutes away.

I lost the guy but I drove by his house to see if he was home. Nope. Not there. I pulled off to the side of the road again in front of a barn. Waiting for the rest of the guys to get in the area. Fire up a smoke, look over and he drives right by me.

I pull out and call it in again. We are cruising at about 70 or so on the backroads. Again he starts to pull away from me. This time however I see the flashing blue lights coming up behind me. I pull off to the side. Zoom, zoom, zoom, zoom, cop cars scream by me to catch up to the guy.

I turn around to head back towards town. Pull over to listen to the chase unfold on the radio. They call in that the guys has done a turn around is heading back towards me. A few seconds later here he comes, hauling ass back the same way he had just came from.

I follow and see him turn on a side county road. I called in the location. The cops were not far behind this time. I pulled to the side again to allow the marked cars to pursue. This time I decided to follow the rest of the pack.

This side county road was very curvy. The mustang made it through the first couple of curves but one was almost a 90 degree curve. He went straight through, jumped a fence and was out in field.

The patrol cars went through a gate and were heading towards the car which was about 100-150 yards out in the field. Kind of funny seeing a bunch of cop cars driving around in a pasture with their blue lights flashing. I drove past the scene, went up the road a little ways, turned around to dive back through and see what was going on.  The cops who got to the car first called in that no one was in car.

About that time dispatch came over the radio to report that a nearby house had intruders on the front porch. Well, all the other cops were out in the field so I pulled up to the house. Pulled my 645, mag light out and walked up to the house. Sitting right there on the porch was the guy who owned the mustang and his brother.

They were bruised and bloody from the crash, climbing through barb wire fences and a briar patch. I held them at gunpoint till the other officers showed up and took them in to custody. The newpaper article in the local rag gave all the credit for the car chase and capture to the original offficer. Hell he didn't even call in the tag number and lost the guy right off the bat.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I love these stories Bama!

Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
POV?

Good story.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:19:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bama storytime is the best.  

You should've gotten the credit, though.  Bastages.

Pissed me off at first. But I was just a reserve at the time. Biggest thing it showed me was that reporters and newspaper stories are not always correct or tell the whole story.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I love these stories Bama!

Thanks for sharing

Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:20:01 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL, bet them guys couldn't figure out why that SUV kept turning up everywhere they went...
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
POV?

Good story.  

Privately Owned Vehicle
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
You should have T-boned him when you had the chance.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
POV?

Good story.  

Privately Owned Vehicle

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:43:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
LOL, bet them guys couldn't figure out why that SUV kept turning up everywhere they went...

just what I was thinking
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You should have T-boned him when you had the chance.

Some how I don't the Chief and State Farm would be happy with me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#13]
You should write a book that compiles all of your short-stories...it'd be a BIG seller on ARFCOM!

HH
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

just what I was thinking

Well, when they finally saw it was me. They did get a little pissed. Basically they were neighbors of mine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Another good one
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You should write a book that compiles all of your short-stories...it'd be a BIG seller on ARFCOM!

HH

I'm sure many of the LEO's here have more and better stories than mine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:06:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Another great story!

Thanks!

Danny
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:10:50 PM EDT
[#18]
So I have to ask. How were neighbor relations after that incident?

That there is some good Police work.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

This neighbor was my first arrest as an officer. During my years working at that department I probably arrested him 8 times. He was also my last arrest.

One arrest was for assualt with a weapon (kinfe). Cut me. He went to the big house for 13 months. He told me when he got out that he had been raped numerous times while in prison and got AIDS. He died a year or so after I left the department.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This neighbor was my first arrest as an officer. During my years working at that department I probably arrested him 8 times. He was also my last arrest.

One arrest was for assualt with a weapon (kinfe). Cut me. He went to the big house for 13 months. He told me when he got out that he had been raped numerous times while in prison and got AIDS. He died a year or so after I left the department.

Note to self, continue to stay on the good side of the law.

Didnt you worry for your family when you were at work and had this whack job right down the road?

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note to self, continue to stay on the good side of the law.

Didnt you worry for your family when you were at work and had this whack job right down the road?

Yes, at times. But not from him. I told him one time what I would do to him if he ever stepped a foot on my property or came anywhere near my family.

I did have my drive way tacked a couple of times. And I did have some homeboys stop by one time while I was cutting the grass.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#22]
bump
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:06:45 AM EDT
[#23]

I love it!

More stories you prude!  More!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Yeaaaaaaaaaaa! Its Bama story time!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:44:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
And I did have some homeboys stop by one time while I was cutting the grass.

Do tell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And I did have some homeboys stop by one time while I was cutting the grass.

Do tell.

I was on my riding lawnmower, headphones jamming to some tunes, and the sound of squalling tires caught my attention. I look over to the road that ran in front of my house and see a pickup come to a screeching stop. It did not click at first but then I recognized the truck. The truck had three rednecks in it that I had busted a week or so before. I don't know if they recognized me or knew I lived there and just happened to see me outside. The reverse lights come on and the truck backs up rapidly.

I pretend like I did not see them. Made my turn to get me closer to my storage building. Right behind the door I kept a shotgun. They stop. I look over and one of them holds up what looks like a tire iron. There is a good 45-50 yards between them and me. And I'm about 15 yards from the storage building.

I stop cutting grass. And just stare at them. They mouth a few words I did not understand. I just smiled at them. Gave them a wave. They peeled off. I went to my truck and called the officer on duty. He went looking for them but they were long gone.

I had an extra nylon holster and fastened it to my lawn mower. I kept an old 1911 in the holster from then on when I cut grass.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I had an extra nylon holster and fastened it to my lawn mower. I kept an old 1911 in the holster from then on when I cut grass.

Please tell me you have pics of this tactical lawnmower.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please tell me you have pics of this tactical lawnmower.  

No, pics.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
No, pics.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No, pics.

Try to picture a cheap gun show chest holster, with some sheet metal screws holding it the front console of a riding lawn mower. A Remington-Rand/Ithaca 1911-A1 and a spare mag.

Pretty funny now that I think about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top