Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:19:18 AM EDT
Since it's summer I can't carry in my shoulder holster, so I use a belt slide. Since it's been boiling hot lately and I've had things to do in the garage the last few days my Defender has been subjected to conditions it shouldn't have to endure.

At first I couldn't even get the pin out due to all the buildup, and I'm unwilling to attempt further disassembly of the receiver since I've never done it before. I held it under hot water and used fingers and thumbnail to get the stuff off, then used canned air to dry and Rem-Oil to protect it, but do you guys think I should take it to a gunsmith for complete cleaning inside and out? I've never let a gun get that bad before.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:21:51 AM EDT
1911 is pretty easy to take down completely yourself.

And this is why I like the glock. It's much more sweat resistant.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:22:26 AM EDT
The frame is very, very easy to detail-strip..there's a lot of how-to's available in Google. Search for 1911 disassembly.

You don't need any tools, although a brass punch and a nylon hammer might come in handy if you want to remove the mainspring housing. And you'll need a small screwdriver, if you want to remove the mag release.

Disclaimer: I don't know about disassembly of Series 80 internals...just USGI/Series 70.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:26:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Evil_Ed:

Disclaimer: I don't know about disassembly of Series 80 internals...just USGI/Series 70.

They're simple.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:28:44 AM EDT
You ought to get yourself a sweat-resistant finish on it, like some sort of teflon-based paint. You can probably do it yourself, but Roguard, NP3, and Armor-Tuff work well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:29:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:31:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By markm:

They're simple.

I have no doubt it is, just I don't have anything Series 80, so I couldn't tell anyone if it's simple or not

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 11:32:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 12:00:36 PM EDT

You don't need any tools, although a brass punch and a nylon hammer might come in handy if you want to remove the mainspring housing. And you'll need a small screwdriver, if you want to remove the mag release.
disassembly of Series 80 internals...just USGI/Series 70.

Actually, if you're hard up to disassemble a 1911, you can use the sear spring as a screwdriver for removal of the mag release in a pinch. A screwdriver, properly sized, works much much better, but its amazing how the 1911 provides its own tools for most of the disassembly job.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:29:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
Actually, if you're hard up to disassemble a 1911, you can use the sear spring as a screwdriver for removal of the mag release in a pinch. A screwdriver, properly sized, works much much better, but its amazing how the 1911 provides its own tools for most of the disassembly job.

Yep, the 1911 was designed to be it's own toolschest. The hammer strut, the sear spring, and the safety can all be used as tools in total disassembly.

It's just a lot easier with a non-marring punch and a small screwdriver
Top Top