Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2015 7:14:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:20:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I was working about 10 miles from there on Thursday when it happened, and I was working on the railroad.  FRA inspectors everywhere
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Hadn't heard about this one. Last I knew of was the WV derailment.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]
One of Buffet's trains at that.

I hope no one was hurt but but there is a hint of irony given that he is a big Obama supporter.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hadn't heard about this one. Last I knew of was the WV derailment.
View Quote

The bad thing is that the veto of the pipeline could be tied to profits of someone who owns a lot of rail cars for carrying crude.  Just an opinion of course.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Good thing it was a train load of oil, I mean can you imagine the media reports if it were a train load of coal....
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
While this is a perfect example of why we need a pipeline they will double down on the stupid and demand we ban oil altogether, you know, because of the feels.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I hope no one was hurt but but there is a hint of irony given that he is a big Obama supporter.
View Quote
Big + 1 on that. He bought the railroad to capitalize on the oil shipments, His Boy Obama vetoed the pipeline. Now, Buffet's gamble pays off. In Spades too.

Laughing my ass off here.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Came here expecting that comment. Didn't think it would be in the OP.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Big + 1 on that. He bought the railroad to capitalize on the oil shipments, His Boy Obama vetoed the pipeline. Now, Buffet's gamble pays off. In Spades too.   Laughing my ass off here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Big + 1 on that. He bought the railroad to capitalize on the oil shipments, His Boy Obama vetoed the pipeline. Now, Buffet's gamble pays off. In Spades too.   Laughing my ass off here.

Yep. Somehow they will blame someone else.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Another one derailed in Ontario.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:02:02 PM EDT
[#11]
And if an oil pipe breaks?
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shhhhh, I'm following the lib play book and using tragic news to further my agenda.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was working about 10 miles from there on Thursday when it happened, and I was working on the railroad.  FRA inspectors everywhere
View Quote

All the livelong day?

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All the livelong day?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the livelong day?

lol
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

You go shut the upstream block valve. Depending on conditions you may leave the downstream valves open to relieve pressure and aid in draining product away from the break.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

All the live-long day?

ETA:  DAMMIT!  
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 9:27:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You go shut the upstream block valve. Depending on conditions you may leave the downstream valves open to relieve pressure and aid in draining product away from the break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention pipeline breaks generally do not catch fire.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a good thing pipelines don't leak or break cause then I'd be really worried
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:42:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

Because the more volatile compounds in the crude are required to be removed before going in the pipeline. They are not removed before being put in a rail car - but they obviously should be.

There still are pipeline fires and fatalities, however.

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Alaskan pipe line?
How many?
Been 50 years or so.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Alaskan pipe line?

How many?

Been 50 years or so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alaskan pipe line?

How many?

Been 50 years or so.

A shitload.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans-Alaska_Pipeline_System#Incidents

Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:03:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well it doesn't burst into flames shooting into the air 300 feet. That can be seen 20 miles away!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:08:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

All the live-long day?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the live-long day?

LOL
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All the live-long day?

LOL

You'd be surprised how much I whistle that to myself when I'm at work.  Apparently this particular area where the train derailed is a known trouble-spot.  There was a big rain a few years back and it washed out all of the gravel underneath the rails.  BN fixed it but it's never been the same since, the rail still bows a lot in that area.  I don't know how that would affect a derailment since I'm not a track guy, but that's word on the street.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#25]
If they build it without using eminent domain to take land, then ok; otherwise fuck off.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If they build it without using eminent domain to take land and without pumping the Ogallala aquifer dry, then ok; otherwise fuck off.
View Quote
Wow, so much FUD with you.  Fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Pipelines don't drain aquifers.  Farmers do that but they also grow crops which are needed so they get a pass.  No one needs oil .

Pipelines are buried, deep.  They don't take away crop land.  They are routed away from developed areas because of cost.  And because of value, compensation is always above market value.

Yes, pipelines do eventually fail but modern pipeline operation, maintenance and testing assure such events are rare.  Instead of moving cars at 70 MPH, crude plods along at a few feet per second.  Tortoise and hare analogy fits.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

They generally don't "break"...but if they leak we usually  dig it up and repair it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pipelines don't drain aquifers.  Farmers do that but they also grow crops which are needed so they get a pass.  No one needs oil .

Pipelines are buried, deep.  They don't take away crop land.  They are routed away from developed areas because of cost.  And because of value, compensation is always above market value.

Yes, pipelines do eventually fail but modern pipeline operation, maintenance and testing assure such events are rare.  Instead of moving cars at 70 MPH, crude plods along at a few feet per second.  Tortoise and hare analogy fits.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they build it without using eminent domain to take land and without pumping the Ogallala aquifer dry, then ok; otherwise fuck off.

Pipelines are generally buried 3 to 10 feet down.  I wouldn't call that deep.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#29]
A pipeline is safer than rail or road transport period.

Generally the only pipelines that catastrophically fail are high pressure natural gas pipelines and that is a very rare event.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe, but the less oil that gets to market, the better for our planet.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Because the more volatile compounds in the crude are required to be removed before going in the pipeline. They are not removed before being put in a rail car - but they obviously should be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That train came from here. We have a new law that all produced oil must be at a vapor pressure of under 13.5 PSI, and a lot of that crude is pipelined to where they are loading the trains so the vapor pressure is even lower to meet the the pipeline companies spec.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the water issue, I edited my post because I mistakenly thought they were planning to use additional water to move the oil, pumped from this area. It is a pretty common thing getting passed around here. I was wrong.

On oil, yes everyone needs it, even in ranching we need it out here.
I think a lot of people don't understand the land issue though. If they don't want to sell the land they shouldn't be forced too. Route the pipeline around those who don't want to sell. Right now it is 10% or so of landowners who don't want to sell.
I also have not seen anyone address how they will repair the grassland here after they run the pipeline, although this becomes an individual issue for those who choose to sell. The land here is sand stabilized by the grass, once the grass is gone the blowouts become extremely difficult to repair.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?[%|
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

You shut it off at the closest upstream pig trap or pumping station.

Pipelines don't generally break. They're buried in the ground anyway which would help contain the leak.

A major earthquake might break one...but the XL segment wasn't planned to cross any major earthquake zones.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
On the water issue, I edited my post because I mistakenly thought they were planning to use additional water to move the oil, pumped from this area. It is a pretty common thing getting passed around here. I was wrong.

I think a lot of people don't understand the land issue though. If they don't want to sell the land they shouldn't be forced too. Route the pipeline around those who don't want to sell. Right now it is 10% or so of landowners who don't want to sell.

I also have not seen anyone address how they will repair the grassland here after they run the pipeline, although this becomes an individual issue for those who choose to sell. The land here is sand stabilized by the grass, once the grass is gone the blowouts become extremely difficult to repair.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pipeline Right-of-Way is generally only about 60' wide through the install and 30' after that. The extra temporary 30' is so they can lay off the topsoil and dirt dug out of the trench. Once the line is in the ditch and the dirt put back, it shrinks to the 30' width.  

Most ROWs are adjoining the property boundary and run don't across the middle of a property. They run along the fence lines.

The price paid is usually higher than what the land is valued at - so as to prevent having to deal with 'eminent domain' suits. That is always a last resort and it is generally less expensive to re-route around a problem landowner or just to pay them a much higher price than the value of the land to change their minds.

Eminent domain is what it is. We wouldn't have Interstate Hiways, most State Hiways, Electric power or a host of other things in this nation without it's use....and most of those projects can't be routed around a reluctant landowner like a pipeline can.

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:20:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It's a good thing pipelines don't leak or break cause then I'd be really worried
View Quote

Run the risk assessment.  flammable petro by rail and freight vs a pipeline.  Not only is one MUCH safer then the other, but it's also far more efficient.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Atlas did what?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Impossible.  The oil WILL get extracted and sold.  A pipeline moving it south won't stop it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top