Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2010 12:44:42 PM EDT
Is $1750+court fees a reasonable cost for an adoption?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
It helps to know whether it is contested or if it is a consent adoption. Obviously a contested adoption is apt to cost more than a consent adoption.

eta: It varies somewhat from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but in these parts 1K or so out the door is about right for a consent adoption
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It helps to know whether it is contested or if it is a consent adoption. Obviously a contested adoption is apt to cost more than a consent adoption.

eta: It varies somewhat from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but in these parts 1K or so out the door is about right for a consent adoption

It is with consent..
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Good deal.  Mine was 2500 plus fees plus expenses for birth mom.  My health insurance had an adoption benefit, and that covered a bunch.  Then there was the tax CREDIT (not deduction, but CREDIT) for adoption expenses.  Check with your benefits people and read the insurance book to see if you've got the benefit.  The downer was that the state considered what the health insurance paid as income and taxed me on it.

Congrats and best wishes.  Marrying my wife and becoming a dad are the two greatest things that have ever happened in my life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top