Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2011 5:25:21 PM EDT
I bought a 120 quart cooler and 1 pound of 65% RH Heartfelt beads. The humidity is rising VERY slowly. It took about 12+ hours for the humidity to go from 40% to 58%. It will not go above 58%. The hygrometer is probably off slightly, but I don't think it is off by 7%. If anything I think it may actually read a little higher. During the summer it would read 72-73%, and my cigars seemed to keep perfectly. Do I need more beads? I added some additional cigar boxes to take up some space, but that doesn't seem to be helping much. Suggestions?

Pic below. Not too many cigars in it yet, but I have my desktop humidor in there to take up space, and a bag with some extras in it with a little Xikar pad to maintain until the cooler gets the right RH.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 6:15:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2011 6:16:03 PM EDT by lucky_dog]
Is you hygrometer properly calibrated? Some of them can be way off. Also the beads are not going to instantly adjust the humidity in the cooler, it will take a while. And I know you did not ask, but I keep my cigars around 60-65 and it seems best for me. 72/73 is starting to get a little high but there are people who prefer it.

Link Posted: 1/7/2011 7:30:59 PM EDT
Boxes could be pulling all the moisture out the beads. A lower temp can also cause humidity to drop or have a.hard time being where it needs to be. By the way one of my meter is %17 off. So doing the salt test is recommended
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 8:31:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2011 10:04:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 5:22:58 AM EDT
+1 on the putting empty boxes in...

I usually season empty boxes and separators first before they go it...as in give them a quick wipe down with Distilled water. This seems to help with time and strain on the beads.

I also suggest the salt or Broveda calibration test would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 6:12:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Slavac:
Originally Posted By elderboy02:
One of my hygrometers is 9% off. Buy a Boveda packet somewhere and throw it in a ziploc bag with your hygro. A day later, and you will know how far off it is.

this and be patient padawan. It takes a bit of time for the humidity to soak into the boxes and cigars.

I know, I know...but I want it to work NOW

I am giving it some time, and doing the salt test on my hygros.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 7:10:27 AM EDT
As far as your beads go, 1 lb of beads is sufficient for humidifying 8640 ci.
Based on a quick calculation the volume of your cooler is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12000 ci.
I think you need to add another 1/2 pound of beads, more would be better as you can never have too much.
Currently I use 2 1/2 pounds in a 150 qt cooler and it has been rock solid @ 65%
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 11:11:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Askonison:
As far as your beads go, 1 lb of beads is sufficient for humidifying 8640 ci.
Based on a quick calculation the volume of your cooler is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12000 ci.
I think you need to add another 1/2 pound of beads, more would be better as you can never have too much.
Currently I use 2 1/2 pounds in a 150 qt cooler and it has been rock solid @ 65%

I would like the RH to recover a lot quicker than it is now after I open and close, so I will likely heed your advice and get another pound of beads next month.

I went by using an online calculator to convert quarts (U.S. liquid) into cubic feet. The heartfelt industries page states that 1 pound will humidify up to 5 1/2 cubic feet of space. The online conversion has 120 quarts at 4.01 cubic feet, but I am thinking it is probable that the heartfelt industries statement may be a little on the "liberal" side of the beads' capability. Once I find out how far off my hygros are with the salt test that will give me a good starting point.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 2:32:25 PM EDT
I just realized what a retard I am, I calculated the volume based on the external dimensions.
So the volume may be considerably less then what I said.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 4:24:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 5:14:23 PM EDT
It seems to be working a bit better today. I did the salt test with both my digital and analog hygros. The analog was right on at 75-78%, but the digital was at about 57%. I replaced the battery since it is pretty old, and am running the test again to see what the digital one does, but I put the analog back in the cooler and it seems to be holding at 65ish almost exactly. I may still get some more beads soon just for good measure but it seems to be holding ok today. I think the boxes just had a lot to do with it. They just need some time to soak up the moisture and for the boxes and gars to normalize in the new environment. I be much mo happiest meow.
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 6:29:26 PM EDT
I love a happy ending.

What 'cha got in that big ol' Hummie, cowboy?
Link Posted: 1/8/2011 8:28:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By double_trouble_2003:
I love a happy ending.

What 'cha got in that big ol' Hummie, cowboy?

A lot of empty cigar boxes!

Seriously. I have just my first CBID order. about 70 sticks total and a few singles left over from my last B&M purchase.

Gran Habano Vintage 2002
Flor de Oliva Maduro
Nestor Reserve Maduro
Indian Tabac super fuerte
Indian Tabac anniversary somethin er other
La Herencia Cubana
CI legends Matasa
Brocatus

I plan on buying mostly budget smokes for a while until I have a good stock, and then move towards adding some better quality boxes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 2:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2011 2:41:59 PM EDT by RugRat]
It takes a coolerdor a while to stabilize. Once it does, it is rock solid and often difficult to get the humidity down in the winter time when the temp drops.

Anyway, I'd be more inclined to trust the beads than the hygrometer.

I have two Oregon Scientific transmitting hygrometers inside my coolerdor and they never report the same humidity –– close, but never the same.

Until you actually fill your cooler, you will not be able to get things very stable. Too much air.

Mine is full to the top and returns to my desired level of humidity within an hour after airing it out (which you should do occasionally after you get some cigars).
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:33:51 PM EDT
I just had to leave the top of mine open for the afternoon as my humidity spiked and I have 1 1/2 lbs of beads in that sucker.
But it is colder than average and the basement is very cool right now.
The dehumidifier has yet to stop running so I know its damp....the coolador needed to breathe a little anyway.
Now it is VERY happy and everything stabalized nicely.

Just sayn...

Originally Posted By RugRat:
It takes a coolerdor a while to stabilize. Once it does, it is rock solid and often difficult to get the humidity down in the winter time when the temp drops.

Anyway, I'd be more inclined to trust the beads than the hygrometer.

I have two Oregon Scientific transmitting hygrometers inside my coolerdor and they never report the same humidity –– close, but never the same.

Until you actually fill your cooler, you will not be able to get things very stable. Too much air.

Mine is full to the top and returns to my desired level of humidity within an hour after airing it out (which you should do occasionally after you get some cigars).

Top Top