Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/25/2003 7:45:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 8:04:34 PM EDT by SouthernShark]
A Mayport man ended a standoff with Jax SWAT last night, safely turning over his 4 year old son to authorities and then giving up the game. Unfortunately, when the police searched his trailer they found 5 dead decomposing bodies. Some of the dead had been there for at least 11 days. What really ticks me off about this story is the fact that just a few days ago this guy had been running his neighborhood with a gun, pointing it at people, threatening people and even using it to shoot and wound a neighbor's dog. The police were called, but did not follow up on the investigation. The police did go to his trailer and knock on the front door, but he didn't answer (big surprise). So amazingly they just left and dropped the investigation. Now obviously some of the dead people would still be dead, even if the cops did their jobs. But at the same time at least one or two (possibly even three) lives might have been saved if the police had acted earlier. I know that it is impossible to follow up every complaint, but it just seems to me that when a guy is pointing a gun at people and shooting dogs that the police should take the matter seriously...... I can't totally blame the police though. I mean I wasn't there and I don't know what the neighbors actually reported. It may have been that the people filing the report were complete idiots, as suggested by at least one officer at the scene. On the other hand, I have to suspect that because the people who filed that complaint were poor blacks that the police might have failed to take the matter as seriously as they should have. The murderer in this case, by the way, was not black. He is a white guy and so was his wife (who was apparently his first victim). After killing her 11 days ago he apparently started "inviting" people to his trailor, on a one way ticket. The last guy he "invited" over smelled the dead bodies and sensed that something was up (fortunately taking off running and calling the cops). Who knows how long this could have gone on otherwise..... Overall I feel that the cops screwed up big time. It kind of goes back to the old axiom "we don't need more laws, we just need to enforce them." I know a lot of cops read this board. I also know that you have hard jobs. But guys when somebody is running around the streets with a gun threatening people and shooting dogs its time to act.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:07:06 PM EDT
Patiently waiting for the first dumbass to post something about "shall not be infringed"....[peep]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:50:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SouthernShark: Who knows how long this could have gone on otherwise.....
View Quote
I will need more data , I will need the population of said trailer park and the approximate size of the trailer,the ht. & width and the depth if you have it. If it's a large trailer and the population of the park could support a better then average serial killer I suspect it could have gone on for at least two more weeks (taking into account the lack of police follow up).
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:55:23 PM EDT
I have to suspect that because the people who filed that complaint were poor blacks that the police might have failed to take the matter as seriously as they should have.
View Quote
That was probably part of it. "Saturday night in n----- town" is an expression I've heard from several local cops I know. In other words, it's just a normal occurance for the area.z
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:04:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kay9: Patiently waiting for the first dumbass to post something about "shall not be infringed"....[peep]
View Quote
Yeah ok so go back through and replace "GUN" with "shovel." WHOA! The story still would make sense!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:08:21 PM EDT
Ok except that it would have been alot more people because he would have buried the bodies instead of storing them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:40:49 PM EDT
[url]http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/news-article.aspx?storyid=4356[/url]
Lt. David Coffman talked to the man on the phone and police used a remote control robot to deliver a pizza, soda, electronics and flowers to the home.
View Quote
Nothing goes better with rotting corpses than pizza...!
Top Top