Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 6/12/2003 6:33:43 PM EDT
[url]www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A47264-2003Jun11.html[/url]

A Prince William County sheriff's deputy who was serving papers yesterday shot and killed a family's German shepherd [red]while at the wrong address.[/red]

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You are a cop basher.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You are a cop basher.
View Quote

That cop needs to be bashed, beaten, whipped, flogged..........

Shit like this makes me want to puke.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Well if it was behaving aggressively like this one the Officer had no choice. [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/141064/IMG_0038.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You mean it wasn't one of those fierce man-hunting pit bulls? [;D]

[img]photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=476[/img]
[url=www.nra.org][b][red]NRA[/red][/url] [url=www.nra.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.gunowners.org][b][red]GOA[/red] [/url] [url=www.gunowners.org][blue]Life Member[/blue][/url]
[url=www.saf.org][red]SAF[/red][/url] [url=www.saf.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/url]
[url=sas-aim.org][red]SAS[/red][/url] [url=sas-aim.org][blue]Supporter[/blue][/b][/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Simple solution, cop takes on to the kneecap of his choice([red]sarcasm[/red]), and pays for the owners "therapy" plus the cost of a new dog. Mistakes happen, I know, but WTF is up with all of these "wrong address" and "no knocks" hitting the fan? How hard is it to get the right place?

I know cops do a shitty job, but damn man this seems to be getting more and more frequent.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]
well, i mean, maybe it was dark? [:P]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]
That guy isn't a cop; that guy is a dumb prick.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
[:(!]

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I am new at this so it may not work.

[img]C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Bullet.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:40:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, didn't work. Sorry! I was gonna post one of my mean hound!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#11]
What is it with cops and addresses?
I mean, I get lost on occasion, but I don't stop at the first house I see and come inside for the party.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't care what any of the apologists will come and say.
But I know what they will say...ocifer dipshit was justified....it was only property....fucking assholes.
How about this....if ocifer dipshit comes on my property for no reason, with his K9 and I feel threatened and I shoot the K9, I get charged as if I killed an ocifer...right ??
But hey, this dipshit was TRESPASSING and KILLED the dog that was doing it's job for no reason and OCIFER DIPSHIT WILL GET AWAY WITH IT !!!
The blue wall has already claimed it was A GOOD SHOOT !!
The worst part of all is the JBT MOTHERFUCKERS think they did nothing wrong. [pissed] [pissed]
[shotgun][snoopy]

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#13]
listen, he didn't just shoot a sleeping dog, as someone stated above... it's obvious that the dog was behaving aggresively and that the owners couldn't keep it under control, so the officer did what he had to do
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 7:59:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How about this....if ocifer dipshit comes on my property for no reason, with his K9 and I feel threatened and I shoot the K9, I get charged as if I killed an ocifer...right ??
View Quote

[size=6][red]EGG........ZACTLY[/red][/size=6]
Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Calling Barney Fife here a JBT might be going a little too far.  I don't really know as I don't live there; however, he had no business  "approach[ing] the Kearney home to see whether it was the right place [b]or[/b] to ask for directions."
What a bunch of crap is that.  Let's throw out all the excuses and see which one sticks.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
listen, he didn't just shoot a sleeping dog, as someone stated above... it's obvious that the dog was behaving aggresively and that the owners couldn't keep it under control, so the officer did what he had to do
View Quote

NOT EVEN FUCKING CLOSE BUDDY BOY !!!!!
This dumbshit cop who is so fucking illiterate that he can't find an address (don't they teach these morons how to find adresses anymore ?) was TRESPASSING on these peoples property !!!  IF the dog was acting aggressively, thats exactly what it should do when a TRESPASSING STRANGER comes on your property.
This MORON should have used his radio to ask for directions. He had NO BUSINESS being on their property.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Imbroglio, is that you?
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Imbroglio, is that you?
View Quote

No, just a run of the mill troll.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#19]
From the article...

The shooting came one day after Sheriff E. Lee Stoffregen III won the Democratic primary. One of the main issues in this year's sheriff's race is Stoffregen's efforts to have his deputies participate in law enforcement activities -- tasks that county police officials say could put deputies in dangerous situations that they are not trained to handle.

View Quote

This shit keeps up, more people will start shooting back. Naturally, no one will be held personally accountable......EXCEPT "civilians"!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 8:44:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:00:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Having been a deputy for a rural sheriff's office, I can tell you that many homes out in the sticks don't have clearly posted addresses.  The house may have been in the right general area for the address the deputy was looking for, so it may have been totally reasonable for him to approach it to see if it was the one he was looking for, and to ask directions to the right one if it was not.  There's no mention of him going through locked gates or past 'No Trespassing' signs, which means he wasn't trespassing.  He's in the performance of his official duty looking to serve papers on someone.  According to the article, he tried pepper spray on the dog and it didn't work, the dog kept coming at him.  Even the family admitted that the dog would 'bark and growl' at people who came up the walk or the driveway.  Anybody wanna volunteer to take a bite from an adult male German shepherd?  Been there, done that, don't care to do it again.  And no, I didn't shoot the dog that bit me- it bit me once, I rapped it on the nose with my flashlight, and it ran away.  No longer a threat, it didn't get shot.  

Some of you fucking dicks need to take a chill pill.  Comparing this incident to a SWAT team serving a no-knock warrant on the wrong address is ludicrous.  The same people who bitch about the media never getting the story right when it involves law-abiding gun owners are very quick to jump to all kinds of conclusions based on articles by the same sources, but now those articles must be accurate because they involve cops.  You're looking for anything at all to bitch about, and in that respect you're not a bit different than Sarah Brady and her ilk.

Here's a newsflash for some of you people:  unless your front door is basically unreachable, the courts have ruled that you are implicitly giving folks the right to come to your front door.  That includes salesmen, Jahovah's Witnesses, Girl Scouts, school kids, and cops.  If you leave a large dog running around unsecured in your front yard and it acts aggressively towards any of the above who may come to your front door, there's a chance it's gonna get whacked.  Not the dog's fault, yours.  And if it bites one of the Girl Scouts you'd better hope you have personal liability insurance.

I swear, some of you people need a great big steaming cup of SHUT THE FUCK UP.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

And it sounds to me like Sparky could use a big hug!

Group hug everybody!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:08:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Some of you fucking dicks need to take a chill pill.  Comparing this incident to a SWAT team serving a no-knock warrant on the wrong address is ludicrous.  The same people who bitch about the media never getting the story right when it involves law-abiding gun owners are very quick to jump to all kinds of conclusions based on articles by the same sources, but now those articles must be accurate because they involve cops.  You're looking for anything at all to bitch about, and in that respect you're not a bit different than Sarah Brady and her ilk.

Here's a newsflash for some of you people:  unless your front door is basically unreachable, the courts have ruled that you are implicitly giving folks the right to come to your front door.  That includes salesmen, Jahovah's Witnesses, Girl Scouts, school kids, and cops.  If you leave a large dog running around unsecured in your front yard and it acts aggressively towards any of the above who may come to your front door, there's a chance it's gonna get whacked.  Not the dog's fault, yours.  And if it bites one of the Girl Scouts you'd better hope you have personal liability insurance.

View Quote

Ditto. Bravo, bravo.

Sparky, put your flamesuit on, here it comes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Ya know....I can understand that mistakes are made. BUT....It's the TOTAL lack of accountability for incidents like this AND the fact that the LEO involved will face no charges AND the department thinks it was a good shoot.
It's a double standard because if the situation is reversed, joe citizen gets the book thrown at him.
Regardless of what some may think, I'm not anti LEO, I have the utmost respect for the tough job they do. I have many friends who are LEO's and friends on this board who are LEO's
All I ask is that when they screw up, they get treated no different than joe citizen.
What do you think would have happened if joe citizen with his CCW walked into the same situation and the outcome was the same.
Joe citizen would be arrested, villified by PETA and sued blind by the homeowners.
double standards, perks and the lack of accountability are the main reasons people distrust cops.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:23:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you leave a large dog running around unsecured in your front yard and it acts aggressively towards any of the above who may come to your front door, there's a chance it's gonna get whacked.
View Quote

I just want to make sure I've got this straight: If [b]my[/b] dog is in [b]my[/b] front yard and [b]you[/b] enter [b]my[/b] front yard and hurt [b]my[/b] dog, it's [b]my[/b] fault?
View Quote

Yup, you got it right. [:|]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
[size=6][red][b]MOTHER FUCKER![/b][/red][/size=6]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#28]
 your front door is basically unreachable
View Quote

I'd say my front door is basically unreachable because of the [b]fucking german shepard[/b] guarding the yard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Hey Sparky, sorry, but there's no reason for him to shoot the dog, they have batans for a reason.  Tapping the pup in the nose with a flash light was a good idea, but straight out shooting the dog, no.  That would invoke fire from my house.  Sorry, but he's not justified in that.  In that fact there was a dog in the front yard, there must have been a gate to keep him from getting out.  Plus, it can be argued that the mere act of having the dog (a guard dog) in the front yard, makes your front door unreachable.  Sorry, but your excuse doesn't work.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Man, that sux.

Considering such - ALL POLICE OFFICERS SHOULD CARRY DOG BISCUITS!!!!

Hell, as crazy as that sounds, there were several times when I was doing PI work, and even before getting out of the car I had been approached by Shepards, Rotts, Pitts etc. Roll the window down, drop a couple cookies out. By the time you get out of the car, their tails are waggin' looking for more treats.

I actually have 'introduced' my dogs to the mailman, UPS driver etc. No problems there.

Dogs protect their owners and property - you're on my property 'uninvited' - you ARE my dogs property, cop or no cop.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Some of you fucking dicks need to take a chill pill. .
View Quote

Quoted:
View Quote

Let me explain something to you officer, My dog shotzie is not just my property or just a pet,she is part of our family and we love her.
I value her life as much if not more then yours,she is part of our family and if some idiot badge or no badge shoots our family member they will pay a price they never dreamed of,and then I will pay what I owe with no complaints.
So kick in my door or walk onto my property at your own peril because I do not forgive and I do not forget!
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Sparky315 (edited for foul language):
Having been a deputy for a rural sheriff's office, I can tell you that many homes out in the sticks don't have clearly posted addresses.  The house may have been in the right general area for the address the deputy was looking for, so it may have been totally reasonable for him to approach it to see if it was the one he was looking for, and to ask directions to the right one if it was not.  There's no mention of him going through locked gates or past 'No Trespassing' signs, which means he wasn't trespassing.  He's in the performance of his official duty looking to serve papers on someone.  According to the article, he tried pepper spray on the dog and it didn't work, the dog kept coming at him.  Even the family admitted that the dog would 'bark and growl' at people who came up the walk or the driveway.  Anybody wanna volunteer to take a bite from an adult male German shepherd?  Been there, done that, don't care to do it again.  And no, I didn't shoot the dog that bit me- it bit me once, I rapped it on the nose with my flashlight, and it ran away.  No longer a threat, it didn't get shot.  

I swear, some of you people need a great big steaming cup of SHUT THE **** UP.
View Quote

Some of you cops are pathetic. You want free reign of everyone's property, whether they're a criminal or not, and if anyone stands up to you, you think that it's okay to kill them. It's people like you who deserver the name JBT, in my opinion.

The dog in question was not hurting the officer at the time. He was barking and growling, and, for the sake of argument, we'll say he was snapping at the air. So the JBT killed him. Pre-emptive killing. The dog [i]might[/i] have bitten the cop, so might as well kill it just to be sure. I [i]might[/i] use information off of the internet or out of a book in the library to hurt someone, so, might as well ban the internet and books, just to be sure. Just like, I [i]might[/i] stab someone with a bayonet or go on a killing rampage, so they banned bayonet mounts and high-capacity magazines, just to be sure. On second thought, I'm starting to think that the word JBT isn't strong enough for people like you...

Zer000, literally, that had me laughing out loud. You hit it right on the head. Welcome to ARFCOM. [LOL]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#33]
The officer was probably firing a warning shot & missed. [;)]

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#34]
It's quite possible that the good officer mistook the German Shepherd for a Monkey Pox-infected Prairie Dog. After all, he didn't get the house right, either.

cynic
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#35]

From the article...

One of the main issues in this year's sheriff's race is Stoffregen's efforts to have his deputies [b]participate in law enforcement activities[/b] -- [red]tasks that county police officials say could put deputies in dangerous situations that they are not trained to handle[/red].

View Quote
You gotta be fuckin' shittin' me. What, is this a joke? If "Law enforcement acivities" are tasks that could put the deputies in "dangerous situations that they are not trained to handle" ---uh.......why are they cops? What, is the SD there a special-ed program, or some shit?

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't know why you civilians get all riled up over a minor case of collateral damage. If it weren't for law enforcement standing guard between the darkness and the light of our homeland, the U.S. would fall into anarchy. The officer who had shown immense bravery protecting us from those who hate our freedoms should be honored and so [b]I ask that a hero rifle fund be initiated[/b].
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Calling Barney Fife here a JBT might be going a little too far.  I don't really know as I don't live there; however, he had no business  "approach[ing] the Kearney home to see whether it was the right place [b]or[/b] to ask for directions."
What a bunch of crap is that.  Let's throw out all the excuses and see which one sticks.

View Quote

I have to agree.  If there is doubt, the cop didn't have authority to push the issue.

As an aside, I used to drive a taxi and delivered pizza too.  Finding an address is not hard, and if you can't find the right one, you don't just barge in, and shoot your way past a pet to find out.  I have a real problem that K9's and family dogs are treated so unequally.  Either they are property or they are not.  For everyone.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Ditto. Bravo, bravo.

Sparky, put your flamesuit on, here it comes.
View Quote

There are three kinds of cops: the old relax-watch the hands-have a donut cops, the young gung-ho I can do whatever-the-fuck-I-want and piss everyone off cops, and those that fall in between.  I have a couple acquantences with my local PD...one is a detective and gun fan like us (I haven't talked to him in a long time though) and another was a Lt. now Assistant Chief.  I have also chatted at length with our Sheriff.  They would all say the same thing: it is encumbent upon the officer to exercise common sense.  Since there was no real need to shoot this dog, it is apparent this was not done in this case.  Common sense tells you that if you aren't sure of the address, you want to knock on the door and find out, there is no felony in progress, but there is a mean looking family dog in the way, you call dispatch, find a phone number, and call the residence.  Lack of common sense is not a dischargable offense, but it sure sucks.  This is all provided that the information at hand is complete and accurate.  It is hard to say, and the post about rural areas with no fencesm etc. is well taken.  In that case, you pull in the driveway and you are in the dogs territory.  If you get out and the dog attacks, you aren't a JBT, you are just trying to serve some papers and now you probably DO have to shoot the dog, unfortunately.  Sparky, it sound like you know how to deal with a dog.  

And again, the fact that a PD K9 is considered a police officer and equated with a human being while a family dog is just property is extremely unfair.  It is little things like this that truly have "unintended consequences".  
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm not anti-cop or anything but I will say, that in this case, the deputy had no justifiable right to shoot the dog because the deputy had no real right to be on the property in the first place. He was lost. He should have had the common sense to contact the dispatcher and request directions to (and/or a better description of) the house in question lest any mistakes get made by him or anyone else.

If an officer doesn't have the good common sense to find the right house at the right address then that individual probably needs to find a new line of work to go into. BTW, I know how hard it can be to find the right address in rural areas because I presently live in a rural area and I used to be a door-to-door salesman. That job occassionally required me to go out into some real "sticks" in order to find the appropriate address. Sometimes I struggled, but I never got lost (at least not for long and not permanently). I kept a county map in the car and I knew the phone number of the propestive client as well as the office phone number of the company that I worked for. Whenever I needed help, I got it by either calling the office or calling the client or both. I used the common sense that god gave me. I didn't just barge into someones house or frontyard unannounced or uninvited. I used my brains and simple logic. Some of these cops need to do the same and, if they can't do that, then they nned to find a new job. Period.

I think part of the problem with these no knocks warrants, unjustified shootings, hitting the wrong addresses and etc has alot to do with the problem that some people, when they are given a badge and gun, metamorphasize into a real life "super trooper". They get the badge, the gun, the uniform, the car, the radio, the handcuffs and...whammo! They become Mr (or Mrs) Supercop. They start thinkin' with their balls more than their brains. Their job becomes an ego trip and some begin to think that they can go out and do whatever the hell they want whenever they want and damn what anybody else thinks about it. These individuals need to be kicked out of their jobs because they are a liability to their community, their coworkers and their department and they give bonofied good cops a bad name because people (rightfully or wrongfully) associate the actions of a single bad cop with ALL of law enforcement in general.

The bottom line is is that if you are gonna put on the badge, the gun and the uniform, and work for a LE organization then you need to have the COMMON SENSE to use GOOD JUDGEMENT at all times while on the job. If you can't do that then find a different line of work to go into. I don't expect cops to be perfect all the time. Mistakes happen. I can live with that. However, mistakes and imperfections notwithstanding, I do expect them to use some good judgement while on the job (ESPECIALLY when it comes to the use of firearms and lethal force) and I expect them to live up to the community standards where they reside and work. No special treatment and no skipping and avoiding the consequences if they make a mistake. If they make a mistake, they own up to it and let the chips fall where they may.
If they can't handle that obligation then don't need to go into a law enforcement job.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 12:53:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I'm not anti-cop or anything but I will say, that in this case, the deputy had no justifiable right to shoot the dog because the deputy had no real right to be on the property in the first place. He was lost. He should have had the common sense to contact the dispatcher and request directions to (and/or a better description of) the house in question lest any mistakes get made by him or anyone else.

If an officer doesn't have the good common sense to find the right house at the right address then that individual probably needs to find a new line of work to go into. BTW, I know how hard it can be to find the right address in rural areas because I presently live in a rural area and I used to be a door-to-door salesman. That job occassionally required me to go out into some real "sticks" in order to find the appropriate address. Sometimes I struggled, but I never got lost (at least not for long and not permanently). I kept a county map in the car and I knew the phone number of the propestive client as well as the office phone number of the company that I worked for. Whenever I needed help, I got it by either calling the office or calling the client or both. I used the common sense that god gave me. I didn't just barge into someones house or frontyard unannounced or uninvited. I used my brains and simple logic. Some of these cops need to do the same and, if they can't do that, then they nned to find a new job. Period.

I think part of the problem with these no knocks warrants, unjustified shootings, hitting the wrong addresses and etc has alot to do with the problem that some people, when they are given a badge and gun, metamorphasize into a real life "super trooper". They get the badge, the gun, the uniform, the car, the radio, the handcuffs and...whammo! They become Mr (or Mrs) Supercop. They start thinkin' with their balls more than their brains. Their job becomes an ego trip and some begin to think that they can go out and do whatever the hell they want whenever they want and damn what anybody else thinks about it. These individuals need to be kicked out of their jobs because they are a liability to their community, their coworkers and their department and they give bonofied good cops a bad name because people (rightfully or wrongfully) associate the actions of a single bad cop with ALL of law enforcement in general.

The bottom line is is that if you are gonna put on the badge, the gun and the uniform, and work for a LE organization then you need to have the COMMON SENSE to use GOOD JUDGEMENT at all times while on the job. If you can't do that then find a different line of work to go into. I don't expect cops to be perfect all the time. Mistakes happen. I can live with that. However, mistakes and imperfections notwithstanding, I do expect them to use some good judgement while on the job (ESPECIALLY when it comes to the use of firearms and lethal force) and I expect them to live up to the community standards where they reside and work. No special treatment and no skipping and avoiding the consequences if they make a mistake. If they make a mistake, they own up to it and let the chips fall where they may.
If they can't handle that obligation then don't need to go into a law enforcement job.
View Quote

VERY well said!!!!
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd say my front door is basically unreachable because of the [b]fucking german shepard[/b] guarding the yard.

I can not stop laughing you bastard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:39:27 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
How hard is it to get the right place?  
View Quote

Depends on the neigborhood. Are there numbers on all the houses? Are the numbers large and visable from the street? What about numbers on the curb or mailboxes.

There is one neighborhood in my patrol area that has no streetlights, and only about 1 of every 6 or 7 houses have the address on them. It's damn near impossible to find the right house at night.

Sorry to hear a family pet got shot. But I expect a person to defend themself when attacked by an animal.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#43]
The sheriff made it home alive, that's the important thing.
(sorry!  Someone had to say it!) [;)]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#44]
[img]http://www.myphotospace.com/hosted/42_olivier_le_discot1.jpg[/img].
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

NOT EVEN FUCKING CLOSE BUDDY BOY !!!!!
This dumbshit cop who is so fucking illiterate that he can't find an address (don't they teach these morons how to find adresses anymore ?) was TRESPASSING on these peoples property !!!  IF the dog was acting aggressively, thats exactly what it should do when a TRESPASSING STRANGER comes on your property.
This MORON should have used his radio to ask for directions. He had NO BUSINESS being on their property.
View Quote

and when you're in need don't dial 911.  I used to be part of search and rescue, and while most of our searches took place in the woods, we occasionaly did have rural/urban searches for schizos and elderly people who escaped from their care.  At times we had to go door to door to see if anyone had see anything.  Had a dog come snarling at me, he would have felt my mag light all the way to his death bed.  If you can't control your dog, you have no right owning it.

p.s. the particular schizo case we found the woman in a shed in a residents back yard.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 1:55:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:51:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you leave a large dog running around unsecured in your front yard and it acts aggressively towards any of the above who may come to your front door, there's a chance it's gonna get whacked.
View Quote

I just want to make sure I've got this straight: If [b]my[/b] dog is in [b]my[/b] front yard and [b]you[/b] enter [b]my[/b] front yard and hurt [b]my[/b] dog, it's [b]my[/b] fault?
View Quote

Yup, you got it right. [:|]
View Quote

Actually, yes. Assuming your house is like 99% of the other suburban houses. (Accessible by the public, mailman, Jehovas's etc.)

What would your excuse be if a kid went into the front yard and was killed? Taking it a stretch, what if a toddler entered your front yard (again, assuming its readily accessible) and you left a loaded pistol on the doorstep. You wouldn't have any responsibility for what happened?
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:53:27 AM EDT
[#48]
I had two law enforcement officers walk in front of window with 870's. With nothing to fear I opened my door unarmed and ask what the hell isgoing on? I was informed they had a compaint against my neighbor's pitbull. The dog was less than 6 months old and weighed less than 25 pounds. A puppy. These highly trained officers were going to shoot this puppy. This was the only way they knew how to handle the situation. I DON'T LIKE PIT BULLS but I couldn't watch these guys shoot a puppy. In a pair of boxer shorts apprehended this killer beast and held him until the neighbor was contacted and dealt with it.

I don't think law enforcement is trained to handle this situation in any other way for the most part.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 2:56:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I had two law enforcement officers walk in front of window with 870's. With nothing to fear I opened my door unarmed and ask what the hell isgoing on? I was informed they had a compaint against my neighbor's pitbull. The dog was less than 6 months old and weighed less than 25 pounds. A puppy. These highly trained officers were going to shoot this puppy. This was the only way they knew how to handle the situation. I DON'T LIKE PIT BULLS but I couldn't watch these guys shoot a puppy. In a pair of boxer shorts apprehended this killer beast and held him until the neighbor was contacted and dealt with it.

I don't think law enforcement is trained to handle this situation in any other way for the most part.

Just my $.02
View Quote

And I'm sure the LEO's lived in the hood too and already knew the suspect doggy was a puppy, and not a terrorized pit bull like the caller stated, right? Man, the cop bashing is hot and heavy lately.
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 3:11:30 AM EDT
[#50]
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-6/141064/IMG_0080cvv.JPG[/img]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top