PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2008 3:32:50 AM EDT
Dad accused of killing daughter while cleaning gun

Wed Nov 19, 12:41 am ET

MARYSVILLE, Wash. – A father arrested after his 6-year-old daughter was fatally shot in their Washington state home allegedly told authorities he had been drinking double shots of vodka while cleaning his guns.

Court papers say Richard Peters told detectives he had asked his daughter, Stormy, to bring him the .45-caliber handgun Sunday. He said he must have pulled the trigger, and the girl fell to the floor. She was pronounced dead Monday.

Bail for Peters, 42, was set Monday at $250,000. He has been arrested for investigation of first-degree manslaughter.

His attorney, Annika Carlsten, requested that Peters be released from jail, The Herald newspaper of Everett reported. She argued that Peters isn't a flight risk, or a danger to himself or the community.

"It's obviously a tragedy for all involved and my primary concern is for my client and his family," Carlsten told The Associated Press on Tuesday night, declining to discuss any specifics.

The Snohomish County sheriff's office said two other children were removed from the home by Child Protective Services.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:35:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By skibum617:
Dad accused of killing daughter while cleaning gun

Wed Nov 19, 12:41 am ET

MARYSVILLE, Wash. – A father arrested after his 6-year-old daughter was fatally shot in their Washington state home allegedly told authorities he had been drinking double shots of vodka while cleaning his guns.

Court papers say Richard Peters told detectives he had asked his daughter, Stormy, to bring him the .45-caliber handgun Sunday. He said he must have pulled the trigger, and the girl fell to the floor. She was pronounced dead Monday.

Bail for Peters, 42, was set Monday at $250,000. He has been arrested for investigation of first-degree manslaughter.

His attorney, Annika Carlsten, requested that Peters be released from jail, The Herald newspaper of Everett reported. She argued that Peters isn't a flight risk, or a danger to himself or the community.

"It's obviously a tragedy for all involved and my primary concern is for my client and his family," Carlsten told The Associated Press on Tuesday night, declining to discuss any specifics.

The Snohomish County sheriff's office said two other children were removed from the home by Child Protective Services.

Uhh, he was doing double shots of vodka and cleaning his guns!! Mine Got, what does he have to do to prove he is too stupid to be left to his own devices, drink tequila and juggle chainsaws!!
WTF!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:43:23 AM EDT
Fucking idiot.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:45:12 AM EDT
RIP little one

Why,why,why are people so dumb?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:47:15 AM EDT
this guy needs to be put down , quick... Stuff like this is so sad....
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:47:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 3:47:38 AM EDT by 1IV]
I always assume these are premeditated murders.... Drinking to get up the courage.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:48:36 AM EDT
He had his six year old bring him a loaded handgun? Good Lord, what an idiot.

-Mark
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:50:03 AM EDT
Words can't express how I feel about assholes like this guy...  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:07:42 AM EDT
Where are the posters who have told me in the past that its perfectly Ok to mix guns and booze? Where are all of you, hmmmm???
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:10:47 AM EDT
Who names their kid Richard Peters? Isn't that a tragedy waiting to happen?

Seriously, folks this is the kind of shit that on the long timeline just has to end badly.

Dick Peters? Really?

Living, breathing adults named their kid double-dick?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:15:27 AM EDT
I don't understand how people have all these NDs while cleaning. Do people really clean loaded guns?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:16:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By tc556guy:
Where are the posters who have told me in the past that its perfectly Ok to mix guns and booze? Where are all of you, hmmmm???

We're probably all dead from drinking a beer and shooting.

Carry on with your rigid mindset that admonishes a guy for drinking (but not to excess as nearly all who have argued in the pro) and makes no mention of mixing guns with prescription medication, a common cold, being tired, angry, depressed or agitated all of which are medically shown to affect your ability to focus, impair judgment and even motor functions...some of which profoundly more than a beer or two.

I love a single-line thinker, btw. Sexy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:17:24 AM EDT

I think he may of had more then one or 2 beers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:19:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ANGST:

Double shots of Vodka, so the story says.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:20:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:20:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bloencustoms:
I don't understand how people have all these NDs while cleaning. Do people really clean loaded guns?

Step one when cleaning gun.......unload gun

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:24:50 AM EDT
I think he is lieing about cleaning the guns. I think he either killed his baby on purpose or some other negligent way and the "cleaning my guns" was the first excuse he could think of. If I could get just 5 measly minutes alone with him I bet I could get the truth, or atleast some justice.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 4:27:00 AM EDT by SJSAMPLE]
In before the, "He's already suffered enough !" pussies.  

You know who you are.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:27:40 AM EDT
The radio news bit I heard yesterday irritated me more than a drunk guy irresponsibly handling firearms.  The "announcer" said something to the effect of "No one has yet determined why Peters was actually cleaning his gun with his 6 year-old present."

WTF!  Intoxication issue aside, is he supposed to vacate his entire house to clean a firearm?  What about the neighbors?  You know, just in case a rifle ND penetrates an exterior wall and keeps on going through five or six houses?  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:39:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 4:46:15 AM EDT by biscuit_n_gravy]
Originally Posted By honorabledog:
I think he is lieing about cleaning the guns. I think he either killed his baby on purpose or some other negligent way and the "cleaning my guns" was the first excuse he could think of. If I could get just 5 measly minutes alone with him I bet I could get the truth, or atleast some justice.

I think "cleaning my gun" is a standard excuse a lot of these dipshits use.
Having your 6 y/o bring you a loaded .45 is just plain stupid.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:42:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By swingset:
Originally Posted By ANGST:

Double shots of Vodka, so the story says.

That's the problem.  Everyone knows you drink whiskey for cleaning guns.  Double vodka shots are for running power tools.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:59:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By biscuit_n_gravy:

I think "cleaning my gun" is a standard excuse a lot of these dipshits use.
Having your 6 y/o bring you a loaded .45 is just plain stupid.

Truth,  Does anyone here think this moron has ever cleaned a gun in his life?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:19:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:25:44 AM EDT
Someone refresh my memory.  In the thread last week where the cop left his gun out and his 2 yr old shot himself in the face.  Was he jailed on a quarter million dollar bail?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:33:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 5:34:39 AM EDT by RabidAngel]

Carry on with your rigid mindset that admonishes a guy for drinking (but not to excess as nearly all who have argued in the pro) and makes no mention of mixing guns with prescription medication, a common cold, being tired, angry, depressed or agitated all of which are medically shown to affect your ability to focus, impair judgment and even motor functions...some of which profoundly more than a beer or two.

But on a serious note, the guy in this article basically has the defense of "I'm stupid so my kid died. Oops."
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:35:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:36:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Oakley:
RIP little one

Why,why,why are people so dumb?

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:54:18 AM EDT
Who names their kid Richard Peters? Isn't that a tragedy waiting to happen?

Seriously, folks this is the kind of shit that on the long timeline just has to end badly.

Dick Peters? Really?

Living, breathing adults named their kid double-dick?

I know a guy whose real name is...  wait for it...

William Dickman  

Good guy, too, just a shitty name.  It's like, the last name you can understand, but to then name your kid Willy?!  He usually goes by John.

Also, I feel like I need to speak in defense of us drinkers.  I've done plenty of dangerous things after drinking a beer.  Sometimes you want a cold one with your lunchtime sammich and then afterwards, you go fix the chainsaw or something.  No big deal at all.

I would argue that stupidity is much larger influence here than alcohol.

Prayers for the kid
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:59:21 AM EDT
Does anyone know what gun was involved?

Just curious; he is still a criminally stupid dumbass in need of the harshest punishment available for what he did.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:59:51 AM EDT
Having little ones in the house myself this story sends shivers up my spine!  This guy was stupid beyond belief and should dealt with! I can't even imagine what I would do if this happened to me. R.I.P. to this innocent children of this asshole!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:07:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1IV:

I always assume these are premeditated murders.... Drinking to get up the courage.

Yup.  I believe most 'gun cleaning shootings' are murders.

Stick cleaning rod down muzzle, fire, take another swig, call 911 and act upset.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:10:54 AM EDT

Right, and Hemingway was just cleaning his shotgun.

I think there's more going on here than this guy's drunken stupidity.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:11:55 AM EDT
Originally Posted By HUMONGO:
Fucking idiot.

whats left to be said...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:13:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rexydg7:
Originally Posted By HUMONGO:
Fucking idiot.

whats left to be said...

Yup

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 6:15:42 AM EDT by Uziel9mm]
Even if it was a genuine mistake, with innocent death and infinite stupidity involved, you might as well throw him away for murder.
There are so many mistakes made, not even worth taking it down point by point, this guy is a f**k.  It's really these few asses that give a bda name to all gun owners.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:15:43 AM EDT
RIP little girl.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:17:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Det0nate:
Someone refresh my memory.  In the thread last week where the cop left his gun out and his 2 yr old shot himself in the face.  Was he jailed on a quarter million dollar bail?

2 year old accidentally shooting himself, is NOT the same as an adult holding the pistol when the trigger is pulled now is it?

The former is negligence, the latter is downright suspicious.

But I suppose you think that the cop didn't get bail that high because he was a cop, huh?  Well, take my original statement into consideration next time you spout off at the mouth.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:18:12 AM EDT
fucking tragic
RIP little one...
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:36:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:47:41 AM EDT

I take it you think we are somehow responsible for this then huh?  I don't know what was in his mind and I don't know how much he drank.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:56:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 7:03:58 AM EDT by hoodonit00]

Not to hijack but what I find funny is all the people who say guns and even 1 or 2 beers not mixing, have no problem whatsoever drinking 2 beers unarmed, then driving that 1000 or more pound vehicle home. Talk about hypocritical.

ETA I do think this is tragic accident. I would hazard a guess that the man is lax in gun safety whether drunk or sober. If I happen to have a drink while carrying, I may have 2 beers MAX usually 1. Being 260 pounds, I do not and will not believe that my judgement is impaired at all.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:04:38 AM EDT
Poor little girl
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:05:38 AM EDT
How does this shit happen?  Who cleans a loaded gun?  I just don't understand how people can be so stupid.  RIP little one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:11:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ORinTX:

Stick cleaning rod down muzzle, fire, take another swig, call 911 and act upset.

Agreed.  tough to prove though.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:28:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ceverett:
Originally Posted By ORinTX:

Agreed.  tough to prove though.

I thought the same exact thing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:51:26 AM EDT
This was no accident... fry him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:15:44 AM EDT

This happened about 4 miles from my house as the crow fly's. I was going to post it last night but decided not to. Another idiot giving the anti's some fuel for the fire. What a moron. Our governor and state legislaters are already considering more gun laws. We didn't need this added to the mix. At least he didn't do it with an "Assault" weapon.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 8:20:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2008 8:25:52 AM EDT by DoberDude]
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:
Does anyone know what gun was involved?

Just curious; he is still a criminally stupid dumbass in need of the harshest punishment available for what he did.

Yes, our local paper said it was a .45 Double Eagle. I'll look for a link to that article.

ETA: Todays article only refer's to it as a Colt .45. Yesterday they call it a Colt Double Eagle .45

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:08:44 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Det0nate:

Do you have a link to this thread about the cop and 2 year old ?
Is this the one from Malvern/Alliance Ohio, Malvern is about 12 miles from me
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:10:15 AM EDT
Why do people clean their guns anywhere near the ammo??? I never understood this. Either my loaded mags are in the other room or I have a loaded gun that I'm not going to clean in the same room.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 11:18:53 AM EDT

and for the surviving siblings

There but for the grace of God go a LOT of folks who become too complacent around guns. Some here too.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top