Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2002 7:19:58 PM EDT
Do I have to wear all that gay spandex with the rainbow colors and what not?

LOL.  
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
take the "how gay are you?" test and find out.  someone around here should be able to provide a link.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I just started riding again on an almost daily basis two weeks ago, after not doing any for 18 months, to get some badly needed exercise. I never got into the whole bicyle rider costume thing, I just wear plain old shorts and T-shirts. It would just be too cruel to the rest of the population for me to wear spandex. Most of my rides are 8-15 miles, but if you're going for long rides, the biking shorts may be more comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 10:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

I too initially resisted the spandex and tight jerseys.

I learned pretty quick cycling is just like anything else; you can make do with non-cycling specific gear but you give up performance.  Cycling gear is made to function for its purpose, not look pretty; though I now think a peloton full of "gay" attired spandex cyclists looks prety cool).  

That gay spandex with the chamois pad really helps avoid saddle burn on those long rides (especially if you have a proper narrow seat), it wicks away moisture and keeps you cool, it avoids the problem of getting your baggy shorts hung up on the seat, it is durable, and offers some level of protection in a fall (it's cushy); and provides a little compression on your muscles.  

Same with the jerseys; wick moisture, don't flap in the wind (big plus), don't ride up or billow out when you are stretched out, have handy pockets in the rear, and the bright colors help drivers or other cyclists see you.  

If you are serious, just bite the bullet and get the proper gear.  

You can get black shorts and single color jerseys thus avoiding looking like fruit salad on wheels.  

After that, you'll want to shave your legs!
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the most important gear clothing wise is cycling shoes. Get a set of clipless pedals if you don't already have them and then get a good pair of cycling shoes with stiff soles. The stiffer the soles the better. I have a set of Ritchey pedals that are similar to the old style Shimano pedals. They have a very small cleat to pedal interface but I have a pair of Shimano shoes with carbon fiber soles that are extremely stiff and I don't experience any flex. Stiff soles will also keep your feet from getting tired and sore.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 5:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been using the homo shorts for along time. I rode for a few years with MANLY shorts and then after 15 mile mountain bike ride I noticed a area that was RUBBED RAW down under. This made it impossible for me to ride for a couple of days. I purchsed for HOMO shorts and have never looked back or in the mirror. For a long ride they are a must.

MY wife hate's them. Form over fashion
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 6:37:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Before we had children, my wife and I were members of a cycle touring club. I swore I would rather take a beatin than wear a pair of those gay shorts. After our first 25 mile ride the "boys" felt like they had taken a beatin. Got the shorts, got over the gay thing, and started enjoying the long rides.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't like the spandex look you can always ride in mountain biker gear. I always looked like a mountain biker on a road bike. You can get some good mtb shorts that have a baggy outer short with a spandex type inner liner with a good chamois. I prefer Nema shorts like these:
[img]http://www.supergo.com/img/shorts/full/Nema_02Jewel_Blk-f.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:30:12 AM EDT
[#8]
as long as you only wear the gay shorts when bicycling.  change into something more appropriate when you have to go to the grocery store to get your weekly cucumber shopping.
Link Posted: 11/13/2002 7:58:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I wear Zoic MTB shorts. They have the pad and look good. Nothing worse than a numb tool when you need it![:(]

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#10]
"thus avoiding looking like fruit salad on wheels."

That was hilarious!

Reading a few of the boards around and various articles on the web, I get the impression that cyclists are a snobby group.  I'm not sure I fit in with them.  They seem to berate anyone who doesn't look like a fruit salad, by calling them "Fred."   I don't know.  Maybe I'm geralizing it too much.

Anyway, I like being different.  Maybe I'll get good enough to kick their butss on my 20 year old, friction-shifting on the down tube, toe-clip sporting bike.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#11]
MTBers seem to be a little more friendly than the roadies.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:06:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Bright colors make you more visible to the car drivers and especially granny who takes the same path to the grocery store every week.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:35:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to wear the the black shorts too now I just wear a normal pair of shorts over them.

For a while there I went through the whole neon billboard thing, now all my riding gear is green or brown. Dirt and stuff don't show up to well when they get dirty. Yeah those road bikers a snotty bunch. They'd laugh at me for having a single speeder. Mtbrs are more friendlier probably from being out in the dirt instead of the pavement. [:D]

About twice a month I will load the Taurus, some ammo into my bagpack and head out into the desert to do my two favorite things ride and shoot.

No you don't have to wear the gay spandex but getting a pair of riding shoes is a good idea. My .02. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Try and concentrate on the spandex the female cyclists will be wearing.  I know it's less revealing than their typical day wear but these girls are getting sweaty and will want to shower soon.....maybe bring a portable shower.

You [b]will[/b] shave your legs if you become hard core.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:42:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I mostly ride on tow paths now. what you can do is buy a pair of padded briefs, and wear those under whatever type of shorts you like. As for a top, wear whatever wicks the moisture away from your body the best..
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Do not be pretentious. You do not need to wear Super Mario's new world champion jersey. My wife and I tend to gravitate toward beer jerseys. Fat Tire, Carona and such. I have a rule that I will not wear a team jersey unless it's a team I have raced for. Some of the best clothing for the price is made by Voler. [url]velowear.com[/url]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#17]
cyclists are rarely "snobbish"...but there are several very distinct groups of riders.

at the top of the heap you find 'the racer'. dedicated to his craft, he is trained to the very razor's edge. his fitness is paramount and finishing positions mean more to him than equipment or clothing. he is confident and has the reactions of a cat. graceful on the bike and brave in the pack at speed.

beneath 'the racer' (also known as a road warrior) are the 'tr-dweebs'. these guys live to train. their bike handling skills are often lacking, and their fitness level can get them into serious trouble in massed start cycling events.

next, you have 'the tourons'. these are the touring types. often seen carrying 20 lbs. of gear on a twenty mile ride. though lacking in speed and skill, their fitness often approaches racing calibre.

'freds' may be either 'tourons' or techno-dweebs'. i won't get into their characteristics...but, DON'T BE A FRED!

to be a cyclist, you MUST be able to say, "fuck the world"...and truely mean it when you say it.

i wear proper cycling gear and could give a flying fuck what some fatass in his car thinks of the way i look.

every piece of cycling clothing is designed and purpose built for comfort and speed.

if you are concerned about what others think of your looks and abilities, cycling may not be for you.

it is, and always has been, a sport for independant thinkers and those prepared to go their own course.

as stated above, shaving one's legs is the norm in racing. if doing that...or wearing lycra is somehow a challenge to your "manhood", take up another sport.

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I used to shave my legs when I was really into cycling a few years ago.

Mmmmm! There's nothing better than pulling on a pair of jeans, still warm from the dryer, over freshly shaved legs.

Did I type that out loud?
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Patchouli--Definitely go the mountain-biker route.  I bought a Gary Fisher Tassajara last year and went through the same dilemma.  Glad I found the type of shorts like bunghole pictured above.  Like spandex, they have the benefit of internal padding, but the baggies won't show off your "junk!"
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Do not wear mountain bike shorts on a road bike. As Campy said, you don't want to be a Fred. At least try to look fast. Even old fat guys get some respect in their Castelli kit on a C40.

You don't have to shave your legs but the first time you get road rash from your ankle to your scapula you'll wish you did.

Tri geeks seem to have endless aerobic power but can't run in that anaerobic realm. Continue to attack them until they blow!
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the tips.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care what I look like.  What I do care about is belonging to a group of people that look down on people that DON'T look like the rest of them.  That's why I made the joke about the "gay spandex."  I know it's for function, but it still looks goofy.  And if they're gonna look down on people for what they think is goofy, then they should look in the freaking mirror.  That's all.

So...

We've settled on getting at least bike shorts, and clipless pedals and shoes.  I think I can deal with that for now.  As far as sporting some cool team gear.... If I can find "Team Paul Newman's Own Salad Dressing,"  then I'll start wearing the fancy schtuff.  Till then, it's unpretentious hanes white T's for me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the tips.

We've settled on getting at least bike shorts, and clipless pedals and shoes.  I think I can deal with that for now.
View Quote

dude at a bare minium you gotta get yourself a set of shoes and cliples spedals.

They will save your ass on a [b]LONG[/b]ride.

oh and campy just for youn info i have [b]25[/b] pounds of gear on my ride not 20 [%|]

Link Posted: 11/14/2002 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Bottom line is head gear,that's where the computer is located!  An air inflated vest like cycle racers use would be nice(a line is attached to you bike you get hit by car the line inflates the vest then the other life pumping organs are protected as your unconscious body it bumped from lane to lane!

Reflectors and lights are good,also that high flying orange flag,as well as a new organ donator card in your bike bag!

Bob [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top