Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/3/2002 9:16:14 PM EDT
[img]http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20021102/mdf141477.jpg[/img] An Israeli soldier takes aim during clashes with Palestinian stone throwers in the West Bank city of Hebron, November 2, 2002. A top Palestinian official said on Saturday the Middle East peace process would pay a heavy price if Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon forms a right-wing government after the fall of the country's coalition. (Nayef Hashlamoun/Reuters)
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:38:37 PM EDT
[img]http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20021102/i/1036236423.3623985247.jpg[/img] Palestinians are detained by an Israeli soldier during a curfew in the West Bank town of Hebron, November 2, 2002. Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon (news - web sites), according to an Israeli diplomatic source, has offered his main rival in the Likud party Benjamin Netanyahu (news - web sites) the post of foreign minister. Follow up talks between the two men are expected on Sunday at Sharon's southern Israel ranch. REUTERS/Loay Abu Haykel
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:45:21 PM EDT
Whats up with the mag and the string?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:51:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RipMeyer: Whats up with the mag and the string?
View Quote
Yeah, and why does the top guy have the stock so far off his shoulder?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 9:55:08 PM EDT
the bottom pic looks like a 16 inch barrel. GI m4s have a 14 1/2 inch barrel. Can anyone who knows more than I elaborate on this.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:12:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By RipMeyer: Whats up with the mag and the string?
View Quote
my guess is it's a dummy cord, so he can drop the mag quickly and not worry about losing it and he probably figures if he goes through two mags, he's found cover by then and can take an extra second out of the fight to put it away
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:15:32 PM EDT
Is the Harris bipod standard Israeli issue?
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:21:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Ken226: the bottom pic looks like a 16 inch barrel. GI m4s have a 14 1/2 inch barrel. Can anyone who knows more than I elaborate on this.
View Quote
Could be a Colt LE6922. A link to info about the Colt[url=http://www.colt.com/colt/html/a2f10_carbine0.html]LE6922[/url].
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:51:16 AM EDT
I have noticed they use para cord to link ever dam thing from hats to mags to knifes. I guess they lose alot of stuff
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 4:59:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LotBoy: Could be a Colt LE6922.
View Quote
I think it would be highly unlikely that the Israelis are running around with semiauto rifles.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:07:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2002 5:42:27 AM EDT by Kihn]
Originally posted by Spade: Yeah, and why does the top guy have the stock so far off his shoulder?
View Quote
Much more relaxed and natural shooting position, when in upright positions such as standing or kneeling, to just use the toe of the stock to contact with the shoulder. YMMV. edited to say upright postions as opposed to prone or supine.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:16:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2002 5:17:46 AM EDT by Sgt_Gold]
The high stock to shoulder hold is so the shooter can use a scope with some cheakweld. If the soldier placed the stock in the shoulder pocket, he would have to crane his neck in a very unstable position to sight through the scope. The dummy cords are a very smart TAC SOP. The Israleis are fighting an enemy every bit as resourseful as the VC were. The Palistinians will scour the battlefiel for ANYTHING that they can use in their fight. When I was in Germany I had an E-6 that lost a CEOI, (radio freq and code book). It was a training manual but he faced a manditory reduction in grade to E-5 if it wasn't found. It had a dummy cord but he didn't wear it around his neck and it fell out of his pocket. He was a good guy and a good NCO so we stayed in the field until we found it. For info on the weapon see: http://www.isayeret.com/overview/guide.htm The rifle in question is a Colt M4A1 Designated Marksman System.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/4/2002 5:41:30 AM EDT by shamayim]
Yes, the Harris bipod is standard Israeli issue, and the one in the pic is one of the older units, judging by the rubber feet on the bottom of the legs. They're the early style, which are smaller than what Harris has been using for the last several years. The rifles shown in the pics may or may not be totally new M4's. The Israelis are known for using updated top ends on older lowers. Given that the handguards on the rifles pictured are the older type, and not the larger M4 styles, it wouldn't surprise me if these were updated older rifles. (Update) Whoops, correction. The top pic weapon has the older style handgurds. The lower pic looks like it has the M4 style HGs.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 7:12:22 AM EDT
Looks like an M4 but with a longer barrel and an older Harris bipod and a nice ACOG. I think you will find the cord is attached to the bipod legs for quick setting up and target engagement. The shooter just grabs the cord and pulls hard to extend the bipod legs. This rifle seems to have a 16" or longer barrel with a comp on it. I believe that this combination would be most useful from 100-500 meters. That ACOG probably is a TA-01 with the range reticle. I have a Colt setup amost exactly as this IDF guys...but with the Compact ACOG. My rifle is optimized for <300 meters. Nice set up.
Top Top