Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/28/2009 5:28:09 PM EDT
The Chicago Tribune
March 27, 2009

Another argument for police car cameras
By Steve Chapman

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/steve_chapman/2009/03/another-argument-for-police-car-cameras.html

The Dallas police department has suspended a patrolman who detained a motorist outside a hospital, where his mother-in-law was dying. The cop stopped Ryan Moats, a Houston Texans player, after he rolled through a red light in his haste to reach the dying woman. When Moats tried to explain, the cop drew a gun, threatened him with arrest and repeatedly told him to "shut your mouth." Said Officer Robert Powell, "I can screw you over." And this was with a dashboard camera running.

Moats could have been more cautious and respectful, but he was in an extreme situation, and the cop showed no interest in being reasonable. And by the time Moats was allowed to go, his mother-in-law was dead.

The police chief, after viewing the video, said that the department was "embarrassed and disappointed" and that Powell "did not exhibit the common sense, discretion, the compassion that we expect our officers to exhibit."

If this is how Powell behaves when he knows he is being videotaped, how would he conduct himself in the absence of a camera? And why aren't citizens insisting that every patrol car be equipped with a dashboard videocam?

Most cops are good cops. But more cops would be good if they knew they were being watched.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:32:38 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FRIZ:

Most cops are good cops, but Moats is not a good cop.

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:32:56 PM EDT
What fucking BULLSHIT!
They are Black.(he is famous,I guess)
Thats the only reason this has gotten ANY coverage.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:34:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 87GN:
Originally Posted By FRIZ:

Most cops are good cops, but Moats is not a good cop.

this, regardless of the camera, Moats was an assclown.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:41:20 PM EDT
Moats kept interrupting the officer and talking over him. If he had just shut up, things would have gone a lot smoother.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:41:32 PM EDT
cops are trained to see things in black and white, nothing to see here
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:48:14 PM EDT
The next time I am in a hurry I am going to put my hazard lights on and run every red light! It is an embarrassment to the police department if I am hassled by the cops for doing this.

Although from what the news said, even after a nurse and security guard came out to talk to the officer to explain the situation the officer kept the guy waiting almost another 15 minutes. That is where the lack of common sense comes in. The officer was just being a dick at the point because no one was respecting his authoritay.
Top Top