9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 6/21/2017 9:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 9:40:44 PM EDT by splanchnic]
Can anyone recommend a dog that:

Doesn't shed
Is good with kids
Will actually protect the family if needed
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:40:45 PM EDT
All dogs shed.  Weimaraner's fur is less noticeable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:46:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 9:56:23 PM EDT by AZ_Sky]
Boxer.
I grew up with them.
The greatest with kids as protectors.
They don't really shed, but they fart and slobber....

Me and my Boxer Duke in 1956:
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:51:07 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Boxer.
View Quote
This... unless your kids are very young. Boxers tend to be big goofs and are prone to unintentionally knock over the little ones.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:53:03 PM EDT
Standard Poodle. They have history as a police working dog, not just a hunting dog.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:55:19 PM EDT
miniature schnauzer.

If by protect you mean bark to the extent you have a heads up to grab your bed side gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:00:40 PM EDT
Rescue pit bull and name it manslaughter
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:02:25 PM EDT
Man's laughter? Less intent that way
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
Take a long, hard look at the giant schnauzer and Bouvier des Flandres.

They both require a lot of grooming, but are good with children and fairly protective of their families. A Bouvier (the second pic)  in full coat can be very intimidating and is sometimes mistaken for a small bear.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:08:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:09:19 PM EDT
poodle
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:11:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By lichter50:
Rescue pit bull and name it manslaughter
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:22 PM EDT
Boxer
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:12:33 PM EDT
Soft coated Wheaten terrier.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:25:19 PM EDT
Dogo de Argentina.
Cane Corso but has more drool.
Anatolian Shepherd but they shed like mad.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:29:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 4v50:
All dogs shed.  Weimaraner's fur is less noticeable.
View Quote
This and most don't even have fur on their bellies. They're very smart so it's not a dog you can just leave in the yard. They have to be involved with the family.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:31:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By slims_88:
Standard Poodle. They have history as a police working dog, not just a hunting dog.
View Quote
A friend of mine owns a coin shop and has always had Standards for security.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:32:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Beardog308:

This and most don't even have fur on their bellies. They're very smart so it's not a dog you can just leave in the yard. They have to be involved with the family.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb60/milehi_photo/20140904_181327_zpsqtd8pbud.jpg
View Quote
I have no idea what dog the OP should get.

no.

idea.

whatsoever.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:35:02 PM EDT
Bull mastiff- very short hair, so when it does shed its harder to see.  Great with kids.  Intimidating bark and presence.  Actually kind of a teddy bear.  Mine is scared of the wind, storms, and balloons, but she scares the shit out of people work BG around the house (contractors, etc)
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:35:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
Boxer.
I grew up with them.
The greatest with kids as protectors.
They don't really shed, but they fart and slobber....

Me and my Boxer Duke in 1956:
http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/72/325172/1/160497479.wUK0BVTm.MeDuke.jpg
View Quote
Mine comes ready to party.

Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2017 10:37:40 PM EDT by raysheen]
I had the same exact list.
Most dogs shed and we have allergies in the family.
Had a Doberman...won't own another, just wasn't my cup of tea.
Had a mastiff...great breed, but we had to deal with health problems.
Ended up with a DDR/Czech line GSD with a fairly short coat. Doesn't shed nearly as much as other dogs we've had, but we picked a very specific dog.

From your list of requirements I'd say look at standard poodles. Also maybe a Giant Schnauzer like was mentioned above.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:57:37 PM EDT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 10:58:33 PM EDT
Unless you want one of those shaved cat things, no shedding isn't really an option.  You can however limit or reduce by going with a short hair dog vs long hair.  Also depends on the climate you live in and if it will be a house pet or outdoors only. 

My vote is also Boxer, but as for protection it does depend on the personality as well.  Mine can give a very serious stare, has a good low bark, and is protective of my boys (I really think he considers them his brothers) and wife but he definitely sees me as Alpha so I would end up protecting him I think. 
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:43:12 PM EDT
Had a vizsla. Loved my kids and would have protected them.

Normally they aren't very aggressive but will bark and are smart.

Fur is similar to a boxers
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:48:36 PM EDT
Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Sure they shed, but it's very short hair.

They're awesome with kids, can be super chill if necessary, and they can be quite intimidating with uninvited guests... or big dumb idiots that think they're lap dogs.

We love our dog.  She was three when are twins were born, she has been amazing with them and the subsequent spawn.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:50:19 PM EDT
I've met a handful of  Bouviers and they were all bitey and stupid,that pair on of the presidents had got kicked out of the white house even
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:50:36 PM EDT
Poodle

Seriously
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:53:35 PM EDT
third generation or later Labradoodle OR Australian Labradoodle are worth a look at.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:55:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By d13s3l:
third generation or later Labradoodle OR Australian Labradoodle are worth a look at.
View Quote
A shit "breed" that the guy who came up with the cross regrets making in the first place.

Also, OP stated he wanted a non shedding dog, I've seen many doodles that shed like fucking crazy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:56:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By splanchnic:

Doesn't shed
Is good with kids
View Quote
Besenji
Doesn't bark, attacks little kids and mailmen, medium sized with short hair, somewhat smart, eats pizza crust

Lhasa Apso
small sized with long hair, barks, good with kids, very loyal and protective and can bite ankles and hands of intruders, pretty stupid and does zero tricks

Pug
great with kids, eats its own poop
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:06:12 AM EDT
Another vote for standard poodle.

Smart doesn't begin to describe what going on in their not so big skulls.
Females tend to be a bit goofy/playful,

Males after a year or so are pretty chill,

I will never own another breed
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:07:07 AM EDT
View Quote
This for doesn't really shed and is hypoallergenic and the standards don't bark like the smaller ones.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:08:54 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ilikeporkchops:
I've met a handful of  Bouviers and they were all bitey and stupid,that pair on of the presidents had got kicked out of the white house even
View Quote
Reagan had a Bouvier, but not a pair. Not sure which dogs you're thinking of. And I suppose there are some bitey Bouviers out there; they are herding/guardian dogs, and as such can be somewhat territorial. Never met a stupid one, though. Or one that was bitey with its own family.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:13:00 AM EDT
Doesn't shed?

Xolo is the only one I can think of.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:35:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Naamah:

They both require a lot of grooming, but are good with children and fairly protective of their families. A Bouvier (the second pic)  in full coat can be very intimidating and is sometimes mistaken for a small bear.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b3/4d/fa/b34dfabd82e1441de97fc9b0b78dd51f.jpg

http://pic.pedigreedatabase.com/gallerypictures/77567.jpg
View Quote
we have a bouvie and he doesn't shed at all. he's a sweetie. at 120lbs he's pretty intimidating to anyone who shows up at the house unexpectedly but he won't attack anyone and I haven't trained him that way.

we named him Charlie because Alpha and Beta were already taken...
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:34:48 AM EDT

A shit "breed" that the guy who came up with the cross regrets making in the first place.

Also, OP stated he wanted a non shedding dog, I've seen many doodles that shed like fucking crazy.
View Quote
have a friend w/ some serious allergies & she has a 4th gen labradoodle.    i have never seen its hair on my clothes or on her couch.
supposedly 1st & 2nd generations are a totally diff story.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:37:35 AM EDT
The Schauzers I have been around have been mostly assholes, but very protective of their family.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:41:36 AM EDT
Our poodles are hypoallergenic, don't have a smell to them, and their shedding is next to non-existent.

Our boy tolerates and likes kids better than any dog I've known. Our girl can be very territorial over my wife at times, but has never lashed out only growled real low.

Ours are medium to small size, and like to be near us at all times in the house.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:43:42 AM EDT
Weimareiner (sp?) will most likely be our next dog
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:46:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Naamah:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b3/4d/fa/b34dfabd82e1441de97fc9b0b78dd51f.jpg

http://pic.pedigreedatabase.com/gallerypictures/77567.jpg
View Quote
Neighbors have a pair of Bouviers. They are big. Seem to like kids but can easily knock a small child down when playing.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:47:54 AM EDT
View All Quotes
Every standard poodle I have ever met seems very smart, very loyal, and protective without being berserk about it.

Seems like a great breed without having been inbred and genetically flawed in the process.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:49:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By glockluv:
miniature schnauzer.

If by protect you mean bark to the extent you have a heads up to grab your bed side gun.
View Quote
This. We have two of these little girls. And they're awesome dogs. Zero fur shed as they don't have fur. They have hair like a human. And they will sure as shit let you know when someone is there.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:57:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
Weimareiner (sp?) will most likely be our next dog
View Quote
I love my Weimaraner.  Well, only because he's mine.  He is my 3rd and last...  

Progressively more crazy/quirky.  He is the most loyal animal I have ever had.  However, his separation anxiety is a problem and he gets excited with every move I make.  I trip over him at least twice a day.

We also have an Old English Sheep Dog.  Coolest dog I've ever had.  Great personality, great with kids, loud intimidating bark, fairly protective.  Get him shave twice a year, no real shedding issues.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:23:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TX_M1:
Every standard poodle I have ever met seems very smart, very loyal, and protective without being berserk about it.

Seems like a great breed without having been inbred and genetically flawed in the process.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TX_M1:

While health problems are unlikely if you go through a reputable breeder, these are the various health problems the Poodle Club of America has catalogued in Standard Poodles. Ensuring the breeder tests for these goes a long way in ensuring you won't get a puppy that has any of them. And since doodle breeders rarely screen for any of these, doodles can also be afflicted.

Addison's
Atrial Septal Defect (ASD)
Gastric Dilatation-Volvulus (Bloat)
Chronic Active Hepatitis
Cushings
Epilepsy
Hip Dysplasia
Hypothyroidism
Legg-Calve-Perthes
Neonatal Encephalopathy (NEwS)
Patellar Luxation
PRA
Optic Nerve Hypoplasia
Sebaceous Adenitis (SA)
Von Willebrand's disease (vWD)
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 11:32:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By azarak512:
Another vote for standard poodle.

Smart doesn't begin to describe what going on in their not so big skulls.
Females tend to be a bit goofy/playful,

Males after a year or so are pretty chill,

I will never own another breed
View Quote
I am in disbelief of how good of a dog we ended up with when we got our standard poodle.

He's a farm dog and is savvy around livestock and extremely obedient. He is amazing with kids. The worst that can happen is he gets so excited he might knock over a very small child. He rarely barks and when he does there's usually a good reason. He does shed a tiny bit, but hardly noticeable, and he's hypoallergenic.

My biggest reservation before we got him was "poodle? come on; that's a weak foo-foo dog" , but that is absolutely not the case. He is out playing with every kind of farm dog you can imagine and holds his own just fine. He's ~55lbs (not quite 2 years old yet) and is built lean but not weak. Just big enough that someone would be concerned if they were up to no good.

They come in different colors, too; you don't have to get a white one.

The only issue I could see is that this dog needs to be outside running around. If he has to stay home he gets real antsy after a few days. If you end up getting one I would strongly suggest lots of exercise and mental stimulation.

We are totally sold on the standard poodles. I'm blown away by how great this dog is.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:28:38 PM EDT
Great suggestions. Thanks guys!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:42:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By splanchnic:

Doesn't shed
Is good with kids
View Quote
GIANT SCHNAUZER I have one or a BLACK RUSSIAN TERRIER
Top Top