Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 5:45:00 AM EDT
www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=4290376

A robbery attempt at a Wal-Mart led to a shootout with police that left a suspect and a store employee injured.

Authorities say the incident began around 10:45 p.m. Monday when Fort Oglethorpe police officer Richard Williams followed one of two suspicious-looking men - later identified as George Curtis Hughes of Cleveland, Tennessee - and asked him to stop. Hughes then pulled out a handgun and began firing at the officer, who took cover, returned fire and called for assistance. Hughes was struck several times and brought to Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was in stable condition today.

Police say a Wal-Mart employee was struck by a bullet from Hughes and was also brought to Erlanger and in stable condition. Police also arrested Clyde Junior Perchelli of Decatur, Tennessee, who admitted being with Hughes and that Hughes intended to rob the store.

Both men have been charged with criminal attempted robbery and weapons violations. Hughes has also been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and aggravated battery.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
. Hughes was struck several times (hooray) and brought to Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was in stable (boo) condition today.

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Good shooting on the officers part.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:51:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Another one of Darwins children lagging behind. To bad the cop didn't kill the dumbass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I read the article and still can't figure out where the shooting took place.  In the store, in the parking lot or on the street in front of the store?  I guess it doesn't really matter.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:53:20 AM EDT
[#5]
shit man whenever the cops gets in a shootout with someone around the OKC metro, the suspect always ends up dead on scene or dead on arrival.

MLW>"<
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:00:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

He definitely scored multiple hits on target!

I do however question the caliber he was using as the BG survived the trip to the hospital.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Wish the cop would have killed him!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:16:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I do however question the caliber he was using as the BG survived the trip to the hospital.

As opposed to shot placement??
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#9]
We all know if he was using a 45, those multiple hits that could be on the arm would have killed him anyway!

Shot placement.  We have no clue where he was hit.  He could have three holes in his left arm and thats it.

People....the internet...gunowners...everyone knows everything
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:51:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Problem is, he was using a handgun.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As opposed to shot placement??

I don't oppose shot placement.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
We all know if he was using a 45, those multiple hits that could be on the arm would have killed him anyway!

Shot placement.  We have no clue where he was hit.  He could have three holes in his left arm and thats it.

Might as be throwing rocks if he was using 9mm
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Authorities say the incident began around 10:45 p.m. Monday

Am I high or is it 6:58PM EST Monday right now?

Apparently you were high check your post time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:30:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And awayyyy we go....!!!! [ breaks out the popcorn]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe the guy just got lucky with some good paramedics who didn't know he had been shooting at a cop?

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
9mm ball ammo!!    Ban it!!          
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:46:32 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

With the right hollow point it's equal to .50 cal, it all in the new tech.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

With the right hollow point it's equal to .50 cal, it all in the new tech.

C'mon, pick a side!      
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Authorities say the incident began around 10:45 p.m. Monday

Am I high or is it 6:58PM EST Monday right now?

Apparently you were high check your post time.

NO YOU'RE HIGH. its only 8:06 pm MONDAY JAN 2 2006 at the time i am posting this.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Everyone knows that if the cop had pulled out a shotgun and racked the slide everyone within 100 yards would have shit themselves and surrendered to the cop.

It's a good thing the bad guy didn't have a .50 cal with cop killer bullets.....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Ban Wal-Mart!  Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
. Hughes was struck several times (hooray) and brought to Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was in stable (boo) condition today.

I am surprised you are not complaining about the officer picking on a poor helpless citizen. After all,according to the article,"Fort Oglethorpe police officer Richard Williams followed one of two suspicious-looking men - later identified as George Curtis Hughes of Cleveland, Tennessee - and asked him to stop. ". No indication that the guy had done anything wrong up to that point according to guys like you,right? [ixy]Hey, theres an apparently law abiding citizen being picked on by that mean officer![/ixy] Not like officers ever deal with the criminal element, right? Amazing benefit of hindsight you have there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Everyone knows that if the cop had pulled out a shotgun and racked the slide everyone within 100 yards would have shit themselves and surrendered to the cop.

It's a good thing the bad guy didn't have a .50 cal with cop killer bullets.....

No, .50's are only for taking down large airliners 2 miles in the air
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I think the real problem here is Walmart Management.

Their current anti-gun views are wrong. What they should do is arm all their employees. Encourage gun owners to shop at their store armed with their favorite handgun.

Put up a sign saying:

Any person( Shooper or employee) shooting a robber to death at this store will be getting a $10,000 shopping spree. If multiple shooter bounty will be divided.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#27]
No Ghetto Clowns Bit the dust a DAMN shame!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Their current anti-gun views are wrong. What they should do is arm all their employees. Encourage gun owners to shop at their store armed with their favorite handgun.

Put up a sign saying:

Any person( Shooper or employee) shooting a robber to death at this store will be getting a $10,000 shopping spree. If multiple shooter bounty will be divided.

Their insurance rates would go through the roof.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Put up a sign saying:

Their insurance rates would go through the roof.

Wal-Mart could just buy the insurance company and insure themselves.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's only good shooting.  Multiple hits, but he couldn't put one in the head.  That would be excellent shooting.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Wal-Mart could just buy the insurance company and insure themselves.

Walmart sticks its nose into every other area of US commerce,I am not sure I WANT them to go into yet another area like insurance.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Good point on Wally World having the money to buy the insurance company.

On a simular subject.

The local banks have been getting hit left and right for the past few months. Some of them were hit by the same guys when looking at the pictures.

At the same time. Some of the bank pictures look pretty bad. Its ashame when a rich bank hasn't updated its camera system in twenty years, while local gas station have digital cameras monitoring the station with some incredibly clear pictures.

One of the latest trick to get clearer pictures of a robber has been to install a TV set with the news, or movie on to get people to look straight into a camera next to the TV getting the clearest photos of a robber.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top