Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2004 6:37:40 AM EDT
Before we got our XP computer I had a Salve on the 98. When we got the XP i took that drive out and put it in the XP(as SLAVE).  

Since that time I have re-formated the Master drive and re-installed 98.  

I picked up a new 160 gig hard drive(SLAVE) for the XP.  Took the "little" slave and put it back in the 98 computer.

I have reset the BIOS on the 98 to find it, It does.  Windows doesn't.

Any idea's??

TIA
Mike

ETA as I was typing this I was thinking of the Depeche Mode song "Master and Servant"
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you set the jumper on the drive to master?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If you ever converted it to NTFS file system, when it was under XP, then Windows 98 wont be able to read it anymore.  Windows 98 supports FAT32, but not NTFS.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 11:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you ever converted it to NTFS file system, when it was under XP, then Windows 98 wont be able to read it anymore.  Windows 98 supports FAT32, but not NTFS.

<ding> Winnah!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

So, to test this, just boot into Command Prompt only (press F8 while booting) and type FDISK.

FDISK should see the drive, just not recognize the partition.  If that works.... then just blow away the partition info, re-fdisk, and re-format under 98.

Of course, this assumes you dont have any data on the drive you care about.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

HUH!,  i'll have to check that out.  

I guess ill have to get into dos to fix it.  Now im wondering whats on it...

thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
There's some utilities floating around that'll let you READ NTFS Volumes from Win/Dos.  Search the interweb and see if theres something quick and easy before you blow it away without knowing what's on it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top